• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

... seven days and counting. Even if you are 'in the area' and want to connect then we look forward to meeting up. If you can make Larry's River you will have the opportunity to learn to play the Rubboard (cajun-zydeco style) and the Bodhran (aka Irish Drum .... but a very cross cultural instrument). All backed up by a refried bean horn section.... maybe. Look for the Salty Fog signs on the roadway (see earlier posts regarding I Love Salty Fog button) -Bob

Can I get a Day Pass ? Or do I have to be local ? After this I might even buy a BMW !

:wave

Day passes are available. They come in increments of 1 day intervals. Here is the cost breakdown:

$00.00 / 1 = $00.00
$00.00 / 2 = $00.00
$00.00 / 3 = $00.00
Calculator.jpg

Such a bargain!

HipBoolts.jpg

distillery1.jpg

We will be visiting a distillery and rum, by gum, is on the taste test at the end of the tour.

I hate to break yer bubble lad, but this here be a Scotch Distillery, not a rum. If rum is what yer after, you might have to catch a boat to the `rock' and get some proper rum, that being Screech. Sorry I'll miss yer event, but we're gonna be on the left coast on a cruise from Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver. We'll think of you while we are out at sea. Any special navy treats for being above the 60th?

Cheers!

... we look forward to being your hosts for this fledgling event..... uh.... attached pic was meant to function otherwise but I must be technically over my head. Try it anyway.... it still means the same thing. Cheers, or as they say locally...."Soc'able!!!!!" -Bob

Attachments

• 01 Bob and Mary at Maria's.pdf
    152.8 KB · Views: 16
where do we meet

:type So Paul Im shoving off for the Salty at 4 am Sunday. So where do we meet and on what day is it at Indian River on th 17 or earlier? I will be stopping in at Montreal to get some bagels and Montreal smoked meat for my trip(snack):blah
and I will be on the radio around Indian River if you have to pm me and I can read it at the office. Thanks Chief

Michael Richard don't forget you radio's set to 145.125 thanks

HAD A SETBACK WITH TROUBLE IN THE kAWATHAS CANNOT ATTEND

TO MAKE UP FOR THIS WILL ATTEND THE LOONE-TIC INSTEAD THANKS TO ALL NEXT YEAR IS IN THE PLANNING WILL GET TO THE FINGERLAKE RALLY MIKE..

Last edited:
I hate to break yer bubble lad, but this here be a Scotch Distillery, not a rum. If rum is what yer after, you might have to catch a boat to the `rock' and get some proper rum, that being Screech. Sorry I'll miss yer event, but we're gonna be on the left coast on a cruise from Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver. We'll think of you while we are out at sea. Any special navy treats for being above the 60th?

Cheers!

My understanding is that they also make rum. Smuggler's Cove http://www.rum.cz/galery/nam/ca/glenora/ although that Screech is very fine but, I believe, it is imported in full or in part. -Bob

:type So Paul Im shoving off for the Salty at 4 am Sunday. So where do we meet and on what day is it at Indian River on th 17 or earlier? I will be stopping in at Montreal to get some bagels and Montreal smoked meat for my trip(snack):blah
and I will be on the radio around Indian River if you have to pm me and I can read it at the office. Thanks Chief

Michael Richard don't forget you radio's set to 145.125 thanks

Be at Larry's River on the 17th. Looking forward to meeting the whole:
motley_crew.gif

Motley Crew

Still bursting bubbles, according to Paul's link... :laugh

"This rare find rum, aged in oak casks, was discovered in one of Glenora Distillery's whisky warehouses. Originally from Paraguay, this is The Oldest Rum ever aged in Nova Scotia."

So, stick with the whiskey, it's what we're best at! Actually, I just jealous that I won't be there to enjoy.. Have a dram for each of clowry and myself...

This is one of the world’s greatest rides! The scenic splendour of the Cabot Trail can be savoured and fully appreciated by bicycle. The breathtaking coast and highlands will show you why Nova Scotia’s name means New Scotland.

Cape Breton Island rated #2 in World's Best Islands. - Travel & Leisure magazine

National Geographic Traveler's sustainable tourism destinations - rated #2

Check out this link!

ShipSun.jpg

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

I cannot reduce the map enough in order to post 176kb....dang:banghead . So, in spite of my inabilty:

Take exit 37 off the Trans Canada (about 15 miles east of Antigonish; Monestary Exit)
Go about 25 miles to Guysborough (watch yer speed there)
Turn right on Lincoln St (steep hill); up to stop sign
Proceed about 2 miles
Signs to Larry`s River on right (look for I (love... Heart shape) Salty Fog sign); turn right (watch for gravel)
Ride about 25 miles to Larry`s River
At stop sign turn left and cross bridge; go less than quarter mile
Dirt road on right is East Side Road..... it follows the river....go less than half mile and number 83 is on your left as you see the historic foot bridge on your right.
NUMBER: 902-525-2733 House (for Friday and Saturday)
902-476-8687 cell for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday

Friday and Saturday: Larry`s River Gathering; Food (Lasagna, Refried Beans, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, pancakes, eggs +++) (no showers though), bedroll space for late comers and beds for `early`folks; camping anywhere free; riverside campfire; swimming; and, for those who would pay in gas and beer: a tour on a Cape Island boat. Come and learn to play the Rub Board and an Irish drum!

Sunday: Buffet at the Rare Bird pub in Guysborough (10 am); then off to Louisbourg for tenting and tour of Fortress at Louisbourg.

Monday: off early for Bras d`Or Lake region; up the east side of the Cabot Trail; Camp at Meat Cove

Tues: Down the west side to Mabou (lunch at the Red Shoe); Then on to Glenora Disillery for single malt Scotch and Smugglers Cove Rum tour; then.... down to the Causway and yer on yer own.

Should be a bit o' fun. Come join this little rolling kitchen party and tour. -Bob (, Mary and Paul)

Last edited:
Last Call Ya'll

This is as done as it can be for this year. The gathering commences on Friday in Larry's River and then proceeds to the highlands of Cape Breton on Sunday morning. Paul and I are posting the directional signs on Friday morning while Mary brings last minute items by car. Even if you can only make part of the gathering you are more than welcome. The weather is looking sunny with cloudy periods. All information is in previous posts. Ride safe wherever you are and stay tuned for photos of the event. -Bob, Mary and Paul

Have made it back from

• Vermont's Northeast Kingdom
  • New Hampshire's Kangamangus Trail
  • Maine's Main Roads
  • LL Bean
  • The Cat Ferry
  • Halifax
  • Cape Breton Trail
  • Meat Cove
  • A Distillery Tour
  • Lots of Mary Weber's great lasagna
  • Route 3 along the Nova Scotia Coast - WOW
  • Took over 300 pictures

More details and pictures to follow

Countin' Fingers and Toes

.... glad you made it safely back from our adventure Paul. Fog, rain, sun, wind, road bumps, thunder, lightening, dirt roads, etc.... nothing stoped this hardy crew. Now, are the rest of you back safe and sound?? -Bob and Mary

Wecome Back

Looking forword to the pics . Still owe you that beer.:wave

Back