• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Rally + Highland Fling

Tempting

This is too tempting. Especially since I go around in a fog most of the time. I'm still in WI, but plan to add it to the calendar when I get home.

Holly

:type ....now that most are back from a wonderful major rally experience, this fledgling little Salty Fog venture will begin to rise above an embryonic stage and we can start articulating its intended structure. Our old homestead in Larry's River will be a gathering place and the starting gate for a Cape Breton tour. Our little 150 yr old house continues its reconstruction however. Facilities are rustic at this point but food, drink and merrymaking :eat :drink :dance (and possibly some 'kitchen party' :violin music) are planned. The scenary is gorgeous (pictures will be forthcoming) and camping is available. As well, anyone who wants can 'bedroll' in the house. Should be fun. We will try and arrange a distillery visit, touring options (ie roads and places), travel info, historical info etc. While we will articulate the route to Meat Cove (camp) on the Cabot Trail and alternate return options, this can be discussed and modified by those attending.

This is a small idea which has grown (as devised and pushed forward by Paulbach) a bit more and maybe it can expand/develop into something greater. Stay tuned, as they say, for more information. -Bob and Mary

Out

Darn, I'm out. My 97 year old mother will not be able to return to her house, and my sisters have declared the week of Aug 13th as the week we clean the place out. So I will head from Trenton to Ottawa, with broom and dustpan strapped to the bike. Much, much rather be in NS.

Holly

Darn, I'm out. My 97 year old mother will not be able to return to her house, and my sisters have declared the week of Aug 13th as the week we clean the place out. So I will head from Trenton to Ottawa, with broom and dustpan strapped to the bike. Much, much rather be in NS.

Holly

:type ...life is like that. If you ever get the chance....come on along for a visit. PM me and we'll go from there. Many of us are confronting the same scenarios as you. May you discover many treasures as you "clean out the place". -Bob

:type .... maps, route, times and basic info coming very soon. A three night camping in three locations covering 550 miles is now prepared. Larry's River, Louisbourg and Meat Cove. Branch off to Newfoundland or Prince Edward Island or many other options. Stay tuned and hope you can join Paul, Mary and me in whole or in part. Weather update will be posted just before that August 18th week-end. -Bob (and PaulBach)

Attachments

• salty fog2.jpg
    salty fog2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 92
Time is flying

Hourglass.jpg

If you are planning on joining us at one of the most scenic venues in North America please PM me or post your name now.

You will be eligible to join the Order of Good Times and your membership certificate will be presented to you during the rally. The Order of Good Times was established in 1606 and is the oldest social club in America.

Good_Times.jpg

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Threads merged

The Salty Dog and Highland Fling threads were merged by request of the thread owners.

Ian
Forum Liaison

The Lighthouse Route

The lighthouse route follows Nova Scotia's South Shore. You'll find quiet country roads where ox teams still haul lumber, and coastal villages where fishermen still row wood dories out to sea.

map07-lighthouse.jpg

Come joint us for the International Salty Fog Rally.

No vendors
No beer tent
No admission fee

Just some of the best riding in the Americas and camaraderie that cannot be beat.

August 16 to ??? (whenever your time/money runs out)

Don't forget to M or email me if you are coming so the Government of Nova Scotia can issue your membership certificate into the Order of Good Times.

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

Last edited:
....true enough Paul. Part of the costs will have to do with the Larry's River leg where we plan to have some food, music, etc. Camping or house bedroll space is free. Incidental costs really to cover food and associated supplies. There are no restaurants in Larry's River so we are preparing food for hungry arrivals plus. We volunteer the cooking and prep part!:dance All admissions fees and camping costs, on the Cape Breton side, are, of course, additional (although we will try and obtain a group rate wherever possible).

Note: That South Shore route that Paul outlined is gorgeous albeit l-o-n-g. If you have the time then we really recommend it. I note that Tom Raddall Park is mentioned on the map. Tom's book, Warden's of the North is a great read. Visit Cape Sable Island lighthouse and beach on the way. -Bob and Mary

Last edited:
Paul,
I'm leaning toward the Portland-Yarmouth Ferry option since the superslab through Maine is a bore IMHO. You could take the scenic route (as I have) but you end up behind every summer tourist driving 20 mph looking for a lobster pound. Once off he ferry, Yarmouth to Halifax is 190 miles. Halifax to Cheticamp (gateway to Breton Highlands) is 260mi. or so and then on to Meat Cove is say 40mi. with 8-10 mi. on dirt.
I'm good to go with all of this but others may wish to plan their time accordingly.

I like the fact that Meat Cove isn't on Map Quest.....my kind of place.

Breeze

Meat Cove is not on Map Quest since it is a landing strip for Black Helicopters.

You reasoning is great and I would do the same except I want to ride over the Green Mountains to Brunswick Naval Air Station and spend one night there.

I have also built a ferry into my route to save time. Don't forget to stop at Larry's River for the encampment there. :buds

Good to hear from you!

Another Reason to attend the Salty Fog Rally

Impossible to get there without passing through some of the most beautiful scenery in the Americas.

CanadasSeacoast.jpg

Good_Times.jpg

One of the stops on the Salty Fog Rally will be the

Glenora Distillery

Discover how Canada’s only Single Malt whisky is made! Located on a 600-acre lot, the Glenora distillery invites you to visit seven buildings built in traditional “post and beam” style recalling Scottish distilleries. Once inside, see the malt kiln and the facilities for milling, storing, aging and bottling. As well as distilling Single Malt whisky, the distillery’s boutique offers a wide variety of alcohols such as Glen Breton rare Single Malt whisky, Smugglers Cove rums and Cape Breton Silver. According to master distiller Ken Roberts, the best way to appreciate Single Malt whisky is to drink it right from the source!
Tours available daily
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

distillery2.jpg

Shown here are two Canadian MOA members checking out their antifreeze supply for the upcoming winter.

distillery4.jpg

The water supply is carefully maintained and checked. In the winter this stream gets a bit stiff. Salty Fog Rally participants will be able to add their knowledge and experience to the quality control process.

distillery.jpg

Come on along on a brief tour that Salty Fog Rally participants will be taking.

distillery3.jpg

All ingredients are carefully monitored and checked. Touringo's assistant extracts a small sample to check for quality.

distillery5.jpg

Constant quality checking ensures the participants will enjoy the end of the tour.

distillery6.jpg

The final product is moved to a cask to begin a mellowing process.

distillery7.jpg

Come join us for a wee bit of the dram. Touringo has constantly quality checked production at the distillery. PaulBach will arrive early to double check Touringo's findings. Camping is available at the distillery.

The Slideshow <- Check it out

Last edited:
Touringo is gathering a lot of extra touring information but here is the skinny.

CapeBretonPoints.jpg

Larry's River Rendezvous is:

45 degree 13'25.23" N
61 degree 22'29.71" W

Point 1 ÔÇô LarryÔÇÖs River
Point 2 ÔÇô Louisbourg
Point 3 ÔÇô Meat Cove
Point 4 ÔÇô Glenora Distillery

145 Miles from LarryÔÇÖs River to Louisbourg; Point 1 to 2
135 Miles from Louisbourg to Meat Cove/ Point 2 to 3
102 Miles from Meat Cove to Glenora Distillery; Point 3 to 4
93 Miles from Glenora Distillery to LarryÔÇÖs River Point 4 to Point 5