• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED rear light

S

Steve Lake

LED rear light

I recently purchased a factory LED rear light for my 04 RT. Can anybody give me some advise on how to route the wires and where they connect to the bikes system. :confused:

It is my understanding you are not to add any extra lights to the bikes with evo brakes because it is an additional draw on the system and eventually create havoc with the evo brake computer.Have the dealer put the lights on, then he can honor a warrantee claim from non-authourized installed accessories.
YMMV

Steve

I've been using the LED license plate frame on my 02 R1150RS since 500 mi. on the odometer. Now at 14500 mi. I have not experience any issues with the Evo brakes.. my low beam headlight just burned out yesterday.. that's been that only mechanical I've experienced with my bike since new.

LED Light

When I purchased my '04 in August I was sold a rear light like the one discussed by the sales guys, but the guys in the shop told me that they didn't have an okay to install it from BMW because of the ABS & brake servo system. To play it safe we left it off and saved me some money, but I'd like it if I knew it wouldn't affect the brakes.:brow

LED lighting

sorry to barge in, but I have had a lot luck with LED's
If you go to my home page and look under EXTREME TAILLIGHTS you will see that we sell the LED's for K1200LT's. We hook up 5 (15 LED's) in the rear housing. Now the computer on board will act is if the lights are burned out and the computer will flash a warning about it that will not go away. This is because the computer is thinking that you have a burned out bulb. You will have to place a resistor across the bulb in question to get the computer to reset and the warning will go away. This will not effect the braking the computer or any other system on the bike.
With the ABS braking on the K1200, it uses a single line source to tell if the brakes are working and the bulbs are lite.

If you would like some more information on this modification just let me know..

Sorry to break in the conversation but I thought I would shed some "Light" on the subject.

Hey Steve,I've got an'02 with 44K on the clock. The last 30K miles has been with a "BackOff" dual LED license plate holder and never ever had one "stich" of a problem with the "ABS" unit or braking.
So go and install, and "BE SEEN-BE SAFE"!!!!:clap

led rear light

I just purchased an '04 RT1150RT and wanted the dealer to in-
stall an LED on it. He said that it would mess up the ABS and
refused to do it.

They had had problems on a few that had been installed. Now
I am afraid to do it as it will probably void the warranty on the
ABS system if there is a problem.

Gerald

LED Brake Light

That's the same story I got at Alamo BMW in San Antonio when I got my '04 RT this August. Has anyone installed one on an '04 RT model?:brow

So- I'm not the only one that has heard that . My dealer told me one customer fried his ABS computer by adding additional brake lights. Not sure of the specifics, but other people said the same thing.
Again, DON'T BELIEVE everything you read on the internet or hear.....

Steve

Get BMW's wiring diagram

You can make this work, go to my website and you will see that this is a working concept, if you need I will supply the wiring diagram for the LT to show you that this does work, The computer only see's the filament bulb and it's resistance. by taking the bulb out to replace with a LED the current draw is less then a filament bulb, if you add LED's to the standard filament bulb the current draw is still less and the computer does not have problems with it.

Let me know and I will supply the drawing,l it is 350kb
I would have posted it but the limit is 160kb :(

LED BRAKE LIGHTS

I have installed the license plate bracket LED lights on my dad's 03 K1200LT, my Bro's 03 K 1200 GT and my own 04 R 1150 RT and all are working fine without any problems at all. We all have the Back-off brake light modulators too and ZERO problems!:bliss

Supplemental Brake Light

Well guys, I have a ÔÇÖ03 1150RT and have installed running light kits front and rear plus the supplemental brake light sold by BMW. They all are working fine and I really like the additional lighting around me. I ride to work in the dark and home in the dark. I need all the help I can get. I recently had to take the bike to the local BMW shop for its 6,000 mile check up and nothing was mentioned to me about the lighting modifications I had performed. And I think I know these guys well enough that they would have said something.

I would not think that BMW would advertise a light like this, for a specific bike that would not work correctly or void a warranty. Of course if you short something out while making the install. Be careful. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, then either wait until the BMW dealers are trained and comfortable with its performance or use the information given in these posts and go for it! The bad part for me was waiting 4 weeks for the light to arrive!!

Anyway, thatÔÇÖs my story.
Have fun!

I know absolutely nothing about electrons in the electrical system

...but I can say that my LED strobes on my brake lights are highly visible and I'm very happy with them. I had the dealer wire them in. Been there three years. I have mine mounted under the rear lamp housing and not on the license plate frame as shown in this link .
:clap

Back