• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I43 Construction

FYI!!!!

I43 has a 10-15 mile section of construction that takes the freeway down to two lanes. Its down near the bottom of the state near Darian/Delevan area.

Traffic moved well on Sunday afternoon, not sure how it'll move during rush hour.

Good luck to all coming up that direction.

:bolt

So much for a smooth loop around the Chicago area. Gotta be better than sitting on the Ryan, though.

Thanks for the heads-up.

OK Locals, what if one carried on out I-80 west past Chicago to say, Joliet, then north on I-55/355. Many tolls? Our plan is to hit Gary IN where I94/I80 meet and find lodging. Then migrate past/through Chicago the next day. If I understand it right, I294 is good, but toll plazas every couple of miles.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sidebar About Milwaukee

Though I-43 / I-94 at the Marquette Interchange is a little over halfway thru a multi-year reconstruction, lanes are open in both directions, and traffic moved smoothly.

Had to pick someone up at the Milwuakee Airport yesterday, and no problem going thru this area.

By the way, from the Airport to Exit 92 on I-43 (HWY 60, which takes you west from I-43 to the Rally) is exactly 28.1 miles.

Ride Alert!

OK Locals, what if one carried on out I-80 west past Chicago to say, Joliet, then north on I-55/355. Many tolls? Our plan is to hit Gary IN where I94/I80 meet and find lodging. Then migrate past/through Chicago the next day. If I understand it right, I294 is good, but toll plazas every couple of miles.

Thanks!

294 isn't too bad for tolls. I think there's 4 from the south split to the top of the bypass, which is 20-30 miles.

Taking 80 to 55 won't really work, cause 55 comes back into Chicago. Good luck staying in Gary, maybe you can sleep in one of the foundrys. :laugh

Rode through Chicago ONCE

Thanks!

I have frequently ridden from here to CO and NM. I went through Chicago the first time and learned my lesson in a hurry. Now I go out of my way to avoid it. Usually I take a northern route (like hwy 2) but, if I'm in a hurry, I go well south of Chicago before heading west, (not an option going to WI.) My preferred routes are the Badger ferry, which still had openings a couple of days ago, the bridge, which isn't all that scary and has a great view, or going up the Bruce and taking the ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin, west to the Sault, across the UP and then south.

We are going to Luddington on Monday, staying in a Day's Inn 2mi. from the ferry, then catching the 8am ferry on Tues. Told to be there at 7. They'd better have the coffee ready, I don't do mornings. Except for having to roll out early on Tues., this is a nice, easy trip. The cost of the ferry is worth it but the bridge is cheaper and still an easy trip with great scenery. BTW, I always cross at Sarnia, not Windsor--much better attitude.

No idea how I'll come back. We'll see what I feel like at the time.

Enjoy your trip whatever your choice.

Holly

Back