• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 1200 gsa

RHedman

BigRig
Long time reader, first time writer. Hope I'm doing this right. Just bought a new 1200 GSA and starting to add things to it. One thing is that I need the windshield to be a little taller. I'm about 6'5" tall. The dealer said some guys modify the (adjustment stop?) buy cutting off the little black tab that prevents the shield from raising any higher. Its looks if I do this I could get about another 1-1 1/2" more from the adjustment. Just wandering if anyone has done this or should I buy a taller windscreen? If a taller windscreen is in order any recommendations would help. Also looking for a tankbag that is a little smaller than the BMW bag, and one that will allow the cross bar to stay in place.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Enjoy that GSA. Just got one myself.

Can't help you with the windshield. Modifying the stops seems reasonable, if you're a good fabricator. Otherwise, someone like Cee Bailey may have an alternative.

I did EXTENSIVE research into the tankbag thing. So far the only option that seems to sit well with the cross bar is the NEW GS tankbag from BMW. It's much smaller than their original tank rucksack, but it's still voluminous.

I finally settled on a Touratech for mine. I had to roll the handlebars forward a bit, but the cross bar only touches when the bars are locked all the way over. It's a neat tankbag with well-planned pockets and an oversized map pocket. I had to buy a small organizer to go inside, but it hold everything I need, including small binoculars and a digital SLR w/ zoom. Check it out if you're not familiar with it.

Touratech Tank Bag

Here's some pics of the bike with the bag on it:

162862959-M.jpg

165587315-M.jpg

I use the large Wolfman Expedition bag on my 1200 Adv. No problems with the handlebar and crossbar. Plus, it needs no raincover

165774658-L.jpg

Long time reader, first time writer. Hope I'm doing this right. Just bought a new 1200 GSA and starting to add things to it. One thing is that I need the windshield to be a little taller. I'm about 6'5" tall. The dealer said some guys modify the (adjustment stop?) buy cutting off the little black tab that prevents the shield from raising any higher. Its looks if I do this I could get about another 1-1 1/2" more from the adjustment. Just wandering if anyone has done this or should I buy a taller windscreen? If a taller windscreen is in order any recommendations would help. Also looking for a tankbag that is a little smaller than the BMW bag, and one that will allow the cross bar to stay in place.

There have been several threads on screens that you could search. I will give you my recommendation though: Cee Bailey screens have one, big advantage: you can have your screen made "your way." Starting with the stock dimensions, I ordered a screen 2 inches wider and 4 inches taller.

I really only use the larger screen for cold-weather riding so I can keep the ice-blasts away from me entirely.

Gus

07 1200 Gsa

Thanks for all the info. This gives me some great places to start. Nice looking bikes, mine also is Alpine White. Trying to get things ready to attend the International Rally. I have never been to one and it looks like a great time.

Thanks again. Roy

Back