• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

12gs Windscreen And Electrics Question

D

downhillhunter

If I get a 1200, I need to put a taller windcreen on it.

I now have a taller Aeroflow on my 1100, with lower fairing and it works great.
But they're not inexpensive!

How tall is the Adventure screen for the GS? And does anyone know what they cost?

Second Question:

I've also heard that the electronics on a 12GS are different (from my 1100) and that maybe you just can't add lights and other power accesories, like I did on my 1100.

What's the scoop on that?

Thanks,

Downhill Hunter

Downhill,

Can't answer your screen question - but I'm sure there are people here who can (moved your thread to the correct section - Hexheads..)

Your other question - electronics... well, yes and no.

You can't just hack into the wiring harness on the new bikes and hang electronics off it. CAN-Bus isn't designed that way. Think of a central distribution system much like your home - with centrally located circuit control with automatic circuit breakers - that turn things off if they see a short or excess current draw - and then turn them back on when the problem is gone.. This means - powering your axillary lights off say the existing light circuit will turn both of them off - the current draw is excessive for the wiring so the CAN-Bus controller shuts it down to protect the wiring.

What people have done to get around this - is work off a centrally located axillary fuse box - powered directly off the battery.

If they need a circuit that is switched with the ignition on the bike - it can be provided with a relay taking it's switched power (coil side) off something like the accessory socket, or with a "CAN-Bus Helper" http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/s...on=touratech:679D0B652E7087784FFB72002B792E46 which provides fused, switched power for the devices you choose to connect.

In the case of the auxillary lights - powering them through a switched relay - drawing power from the battery for the switched side of the relay, and drawing coil power from the light circuit WILL work, but may over-ride the bulb-monitor feature of the CAN-Bus controller (where it will warn you if the bulb is out..)

It's all doable - and the increased reliability and simplicity of the CAN-Bus system makes it really a desirable way to go.. there are more and more "CAN-Bus" compatible devices being released since it's obvious BMW isn't going back to the old way of doing things - and manufacturers want to sell their products to us.

Hope that answers your question.

12GS windscreen

After riding 20K in 2 years with the stock windscreen on my GS I decided to give the Cee Baily's windscreen a shot. I saw one at the RA rally in Asheville and picked it up for $150 with no tax or shipping charges. It is 4 inches taller than the stock and seems to have a little more protection on the sides as well. I am 6' tall and it fits me perfect. Much less wind buffeting and, most important for me, no more irritating vibration like was present when I accelerated in first gear with the stock shield.

I can't say how this compares to other aftermarket shields for the GS, but it works great for me.

If you want to put an Adventure screen on, you'll need to buy both the bracket and the shield, which cost almost $600!

Thanks, Kbasa!

$600!! You can get a tall aeroflow, half fairing and lower air scoops for about
$656!

That's the kind of info I need. I think I'll wait until I'm at the Rally in West Bend and then I'll look around a little bit.

Hopefully I'll have a 12GS by then!

Downhill Hunter

Cee Bailey windshield

FYI... I have the same shield as mtfrench ...for sale. 4" higher and 2" wider as he described, tinted ice blue, in pristine condition (looks new). $140 plus S&H
Can email pics. I just listed it on IBMWR today 6/24

A&S BMW sells the Adventure screen kit with all the parts needed for just under $500. http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43745

Or Cee Bailey sells a replica of the Adv screen and winglets for between $300 and $375 depending on the size you want.
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200gsepws.html

Or you can do like I, and alot of other people, have done and get a Givi screen for about $150 and the Adv winglets from BMW for about $50. Works great and it cured all my noise/buffeting issues.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1915/289/

Barry

166065045-L.jpg

FYI... I have the same shield as mtfrench ...for sale. 4" higher and 2" wider as he described, tinted ice blue, in pristine condition (looks new). $140 plus S&H
Can email pics. I just listed it on IBMWR today 6/24

This really does NOT belong here - there is a Flea Market section just for this purpose.. please keep for/sale/wanted to that section.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Back