• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

camping

WOW! Too much information!

I have to agree, I have learned more in the last hour reading these forum things than hanging around my local BMW shop here in Savoy, IL. I went to the BMW rally in Redman, OR in 01 and had to sell my 01GS. I now have an 02GS and am going to West Bend. I wish I could afford a cover but have a cheap $25 used Eureka 3-man. I have a lot to learn and with great people like all of you I will someday know more.:clap

I look forward to seeing all of the inovations at the rally.

Brad R. #97620
2002 1150GS
Savoy, IL

Thanks for including a picture of the tarp you use. I just ordered the exact same one in order to have it in time for the rally. I was looking hard at the Parawing but after looking at price vs. value of both options I voted for the Moto Cabana. Now I can apply my $$$ savings toward a new Kermit chair. Looking forward to trying both out at the rally.

This forum is terrific in regards to all of the great tips I've picked up, but if I learn any more I'm gonna go broke...

Just a quick update one year later....

I learned a few things along the way. For instance, take the front pole down in winds beyond 15mph. The canopy provided terrific shade at the West Bend Rally last sumer. It was a nice shady place to enjoy a cigar sitting in my new Kermit chair.

When I came back to my tent Saturday afternoon I discovered my canopy down and a rip where the pole inserts in the top gromit....completely blown out. The tent was facing south with a moderate westerly wind blowing. I was a little disappointed that the canopy didn't hold up to non-storm strength winds.

I recently had a luggage repair shop install another gromit in place and it looks as good as new. I love the shade it provides for the tent and it definitely cools it down a bit. Now I'll plan to keep a closer eye on the wind and drop the pole if it kicks up. My only concern is if it gets windy again while I'm out on a ride.

I'm always open for additrional pointers/tips on managing the wind.

Last edited:
How do you feel about the price - value now?

I sounds like it would be a good idea to take the pole out when you go riding and put it back up when you return. It looks like the design does not let air flow around and under which is why the gromet pulled out, too much load on the corner.

If it happens again ask the person who is helping with the gromet to see if they can get some stickey back nylon (sailmakers repair cloth) and reinforce the corner, then punch the gromet though both.

FWIW, I bought my parawing in 2004 and have used it almost 20 times including the 04,5,6 and 7 nationals (up for almost a week) with no service issues at all. It has extra material in the corners for reinforcement, perhaps this accounts for some of the extra cost.

I do my best to make sure it is packed dry and I unpack, wash and hang dry when I get home.

Thanks for the tip on the sailmakers repair cloth. Hopefully I won't need to try that option but it'll be good to have another fix if needed.

Regarding my feeling on price vs. value so far, I'd say I'm happy so far. The early grommet failure was disappointing but it only cost $10 to repair to new condition. The Kermit chair I purchased with the savings is working perfectly. Obviously, if the Moto Cabana fails again my feelings regarding the wisdom of my purchase won't be so hot. Time and experience going forward will tell the story.

To add a margin of safety I will plan to drop the pole when I'm away for the day or during high wind conditions. I'll plan to post an update after several more camping trips.....pro or con.

****My Eureka WindRiver geodome tent just had its twenty year anniversary, so I've definitely received my moneys worth on THAT purchase.

If you simply wrap the cord once around the pole post over the tarp grommet .(making the attachment over and under the tarp) . . you'll minimize any problems with the tarp coming off the pole and resulting damage.

I have a parawing and outfitter wing over the picnic table that are used when when car camping. Quality is excellent but I find them a bit heavy to pack . . . at least with the supplied pole segments.

I just prefer the motocabana for how it packs down for trips in my pannier.

YMMV

Regarding my feeling on price vs. value so far, I'd say I'm happy so far.

i had forgotten about this thread... good that someone dredged it back up because shade is good... wind-resistant shade is better.

my moss (now msr) parawing is going on 10 years old and has seen a TON of wind ans wrath-of-God-style rain. the parabolic design is particularly strong in windy situations. and the poles and cords are quite sturdy. it even has small pockets in the corners into which you can place rocks to help weight it down.

i also choose my tents for performance in wind. they may not have the highest ceiling height, but the sucker ain't going to blow down in the middle of the night. a blown down wing and a wet tent can really spoil a good night's sleep!

speaking about where you put your tent relative to the wing, if it is going to be windy/hot with no rain, my tent projects out from the wing, so there is room to sit under it.

if it's going to rain like a mofo, then the tent goes under the wing. nice to have a small tent so that you can make quick relocations.

ian

ps => i bought my kermit chair back when they were about $65. :ha

Back