• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

boxergrrlie's wild ride

R

REBECCAV

I bundled up and went with friends to watch some ice races on a frozen pond yesterday. Notice the 'official' on the right - instead of a flag he has a bottle of Newcastle.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,271
Most of the riders are 'a bunch of guys going left' but some semi-pro guys showed up later in the day.

Attachments

• heeledover.jpg
    heeledover.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,251
These guys are going 50 - 60 mph - it's hard to show through still photo just how crazy these riders are!

Attachments

• behind.jpg
    behind.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,247
They put screws into the tires for traction. Here's a CU:

Attachments

• tirecu.jpg
    tirecu.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,246
Yes, I got out and shaved some ice on the track. Here's me after my wild ride. It was a total blast especially since it's been two months since I've been on a bike! Now just two and a half more to go....

Attachments

• rv_iceracer2.jpg
    rv_iceracer2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,238
Allright for you!

Most excellent. I haven't watch bike racing on ice in years. Never tried it - Good On You, BG.
I remember going in the pits and watching them screwing hex head screws into the tires for traction. (Maybe I should do the same to the Rockster - we have quite a bit of snow in the driveway and secondary roads.....)
Thanks for sharing your pictures. Really like the one with all three leaning into the turn. Yee-hah.

wow

So how different is it? I assume it's not so different from any loose traction riding, but I could be very wrong.:D

Looks like Fun

Great Pics boxergrrlie, bet you had a good adrenaline rush on that ice. Are those knee pads for doing your best Mat Mladin imitation? Ride Safe when you dig out from that snow and ice!;)

knary said:
So how different is it? I assume it's not so different from any loose traction riding, but I could be very wrong.:D
It's actually the first off-road riding that I've done so I don't know. The front tire sticks right where you put it, and the back tire slides around, but in a controlled way if you know what I mean.
IRONHORSECOWBOY said:
bet you had a good adrenaline rush on that ice.
Downright giddy!:bliss

boxergrrlie said:
Notice the 'official' on the right - instead of a flag he has a bottle of Newcastle.

MMMM Newcastle.

homer_drool.gif

Plus you don't have to worry about it getting warm.....:clap :clap :beer :drink

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remind me to pay the frozen north a visit some time, I'd like to try that! Looks like MUCH FUN!!!!

Brad, didja check the pics

Plus you don't have to worry about it getting warm.....

Yup, when you have brews out on a frozen lake with a few inches of snow the FIRST thing you gotta worry about is the beer getting warm.
I think I spotted a cooler in the waaaay back of the pic, so they were probably okay.

Ice-Racing --- YaHoo!

Great Pictures, BG. What a BLAST!!!

This is a great way to blow-out the winter doldrums here in the land of the Frozen Tundra.

More pictures are posted on the Beemer Hill Site.

Ice Racing in Wisconsin

Unlike BikerGirlie, I have experienced the joy of crashing on the ice and prefer to heckle from the sidelines.

Sue:clap

Great pictures, Boxergrrlie. :clap

I love to see you young folks having fun.

Anybody wanta see more pictures of Florida riding? :D

Hats off to the ladies of Wisconsin

And here I was all set to award some kind of cold weather riding trophy to the Kook!
Bravo - thanks for sharing. Makes me lust for my old Kawasaki enduro.

Thanks Cliffy (and everybody)! C'mon over anytime. Sue makes great chili and I'll buy the beer. It gets slushy if you drink it too slow, but I'm told that's all part of the experience.

Here's me and Sue:

Attachments

• spectators.jpg
    spectators.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 388
Hey BG you are a couple of Cold Weather Dudettes.

Good for you.

Me??I hate cold weather(grew up in Winterpeg).

It is snowing here on the Wet Coast of BC.

How do you spell This Sucks?

Back