Thread: 2012 R1200RT with 50k miles

Lightbulb 2012 R1200RT with 50k miles

I am looking at a 2012 R1200RT that has 50,995 miles on it. I am going to trade my 2002 R1150RT, which is in near perfect condition with 12,100 miles.

I am not familiar with the camheads or the newer driveline, ABS unit, engine, gear box, et al. What do I need to check to make sure that the R1200RT is in good mechanical and electrical condition?

I do not see much posted on the 2012 R1200RT that is negative, so does this mean that this does not have certain manufacturer surprises that jump out and bite me in the ass?

I have a little over 24,000 miles on mine, so far no problems other than the left side switches. Both sides were replaced under a campaign from BMW at no cost.

50,000 is about a sweet spot for an R1200xx. You might check that it doesn't need front pads, and check the thickness of the rear brake rotor. Other then that - no big "gotcha" things on these bikes. You should make sure it has full service records, and that all recalls/campaigns have been completed (pass the VIN# by BMW-Motorad US, or a friendly dealership.)

Pretty much: "does not have certain manufacturer surprises that jump out and bite me in the ass?" - yup.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I have a 2011 GSA and seems bullet proof with 37,000 mi. The final drive did fail at 30,000.....ouch!
    John

2011 BMW R1200 GSA
    2009 BMW G650 GS

i'll chime in here....

i have a 2013 RT with over 66000 miles that has, with one exception, been flawless....the 2012 is the same bike, but for color....all i have done is maintained by the book every 6000 miles and it has been garaged kept....would i take it on an extended adventure with 66k, you betcha....

now to the exception....early on the bike shifted poorly and it was attributed to my lack of "BMW know-how" by the selling dealer in Ventura, CA....as it turned out the input shaft to the gearbox was miss-aligned or something like that (i had a hard time believing that)....it was gladly taken care of under warranty by BMW MC of Long Beach, CA. And it should be noted that the gearbox has shifted like a Japanese bike ever since....

so, would i recommend you buy the 2012 RT with 51k miles.....YUP! in a heartbeat!!!! do the major service yourself....oil/filter, GB/FD gear lube, flush the brakes systems/check the pads, change the spark plugs, check the valve lash and sync the throttle bodies....AND, ride the bugger...!!!
    ~wyman~

2015 S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

You are really gonna love the difference between the R1100 and the R1200. I traded my 94 R1100RS for a 2005 R1200RT and now sold my 05 and bought a 2010 RT. The newer RT's are really fabulous machines

Krmugin
    I traded my 2004 for a 2012 RT two years ago, and couldn't be happier! While the 1150 is a great bike, the camhead 1200 is heads and shoulders better!

You don't have the fuel strip issue, and the final drives in the camhead are much more durable. I never minded the whizzy brakes, but the camhead brakes are much better!

More power, cruise control, etc. What's not to love? Oh, and the engine likes to rev a little more.

Other than standard maintenance, brakes, etc. I'm not personally aware of any major issues with the camheads. I did have an output shaft leak early on, but that was repaired under warranty. I've had the switches replaced, but didn't have issues with the originals.

The biggest issue I've had with mine is keeping fresh tires on it...

If it was maintained properly, it's just getting broken in
    As others have said check with BMW to see if service recalls have been done
    Check brakes and a drive shaft spine lube should be completed
    CHP rides theirs till 150,000 miles and they still have life left in them

Cool Thanks for the feedback

Could not make the deal on the 2012 R1200RT, so I went over to unexplored territory and made a deal for a 2010 K1300GT with 29,500 miles on the odometer. Not really loving the riding position set up yet, quite a bit different riding position than my R1150, but what an absolute game changer of a motorcycle. Took the beast out for a test ride on the back roads northeast of The Woodlands, TX and when I looked at my odometer I saw that somehow 200 miles was behind me.

Post a pic of that new ride. I have always liked the K bikes but never owned one (yet)

Later K wedges fixed many of the issues of the 06 1200 variant (which got the wedge motor a poor rep that contributed to its rather rapid demise for a BMW model) but beware. This is not one of BMWs best machines. Even if nothing breaks, if you pay for maintenance it will cost you up to double what a boxer motor bike does.
    I hate working on my K-GT- everything takes twice as long as an R bike, even simple stuff like oil changes.

The RT is more comfortable for long runs- its got a better suspension. The wedge bikes are "stiff and unyielding" due to increased weight and speed potential.

The older 1200 brick K-GT is a better bike than the wedge K-GTs.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Later K wedges fixed many of the issues of the 06 1200 variant (which got the wedge motor a poor rep that contributed to its rather rapid demise for a BMW model) but beware. This is not one of BMWs best machines. Even if nothing breaks, if you pay for maintenance it will cost you up to double what a boxer motor bike does.
    I hate working on my K-GT- everything takes twice as long as an R bike, even simple stuff like oil changes.

The RT is more comfortable for long runs- its got a better suspension. The wedge bikes are "stiff and unyielding" due to increased weight and speed potential.

The older 1200 brick K-GT is a better bike than the wedge K-GTs.
    I couldn't agree more if I said it myself, word for word. (especially the last sentence)

Jes rolled over 70k on 09hex, (r12gs), tires and batteries. ota my 50yrs and 15 registered bikes in my name without question the best ive sat on. bikes loaded and still a garage queen,
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.