Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket suspension

Aftermarket suspension

I noticed that most riders are not happy with the OEM suspensions.
    That goes for almost any make of bike, not only BMW.
    I have a 2008 RT with ESA. . So far, am for Ohlin, that i have on my
    other bike, and am happy with. As a winter project, would like to change
    the suspension. Any suggestions, comments, are greatly appreciated!

i'm big fan of

Wilber shocks
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

Everbody seems to think that they are such a better rider than average that they need a higher performance suspension than the average rider. Some do. Many don't.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Everbody seems to think that they are such a better rider than average that they need a higher performance suspension than the average rider. Some do. Many don't.
    There may be a misunderstanding here! I definitely am not a better rider, but i like better quality!
    If you are a average rider, and happy with less than average suspension, good for you. Don't do
    anything about it, all is just fine. Other people like improving things.Thank you for your input.

Cheap

I am a big fan of cheap. Send those old BMW shocks for your RT to me and let me give them some love.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I am not a top tier rider, but I like the improved suspensions for better compliance and ride comfort. After about 30K miles the stockers are shot. I don't toss good components, but if I am replacing them, I go for what I think are the best. I have both Ohlins and Wilbers on several bikes and both work well. I think the Wilbers is more durable, and in most cases can be more accurately individualized to your bike, load, and riding style. In the ESA variants, Wilbers is also significantly less expensive. I have Wilbers ESA conversions on my GS camhead and am most pleased with them. I have used both BeemerShop and EPM for Wilbers and am happy with both.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

I was very fortunate to find a pair of brand new Ohlins shocks for my bike at a low price. After putting them on the difference between what was (BMW with 5K miles stock shocks) and the Ohlins was night and day. The bike handles much better in corners, takes bumps much better and both have resulted in me having much more confidence in my riding.

I swear by these Ohlins shocks but they are pricey. I have read good things about Hypr Pro and Wilbers.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

I'm a fan of both Wilbers and Hyperpro - EPM Performance handles both.

Am I a better than average rider? Probably not.. but I do have arthritis and a suspension better matched to my weight and riding style helps keep the ibuprofen need down. I also lowered my bike a bit since I'm short of leg. That could be done with BMW components, but not as well, and much more expensively (if purchased new.)

What usually happens when people get new suspension - is they almost always say "Wow! Didn't know the old suspension had gotten that worn.." - suspension wear happens over time as miles accumulate. There are very few dramatic failures, it's more a slow change in the damping, and sometimes the spring rate. While that could be compensated for with new factory suspension - it's more cost effective to go aftermarket, plus you get adjustability that just isn't available with the factory suspension. Win-win so to speak.

I've got roughly 100,000 miles on my current Hyperpro suspension. I had it reworked by Klaus (EPM Performance) when I moved it from my old bike to my new bike - and it's still going strong. The ability to have the suspension freshened up when it gets tired is also a big plus for aftermarket. I've been at Klaus' shop when they were rebuilding a well worn shock, and the smell and look of the old oil coming out of the shock was a convincing argument for having rebuildable shocks.

YMMV - but count me in as a fan of aftermarket suspension.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I had a 2008 yamaha FJR with stock suspension. I pretty quickly opted for an after market suspension. On the rear I had the full adjustability of an Ohlins put on and on the front I had the fork revalved and rebuilt. It was the best bang for the buck I have even spent in 20 years of riding motorcycles. The bike handled brilliantly. I did the work at GP Suspension in Auburn, WA - and they dialed it in for me. I think any bike with stock suspension can be improved. Especially the older ones. Cheers!
    2016 RT1200RT
    Brand new April 7, 2016

Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I'm a fan of both Wilbers and Hyperpro - EPM Performance handles both.
    YMMV - but count me in as a fan of aftermarket suspension.
    Thanks, deilenberger! Will keep them in mind, as well as Ted Porter's Beemer Shop.

Our R12S came from the factory with Ohlins

After blowing the rear shock on my then fairly new 09GSA, replaced with Wilbers ESA.
    Brother in law had a set of fresh Werkes on his retired 1100R and they went on H's...

Put a set of Wilbers on H's 1150R after a long trip without her knowledge.She came home the next day after a solo run on some favorite twisties and asked what had I done to her bike Said it stuck in corners like never before...so I dispute the placebo effect .Worn shocks happen slowly but surely.

After the difference noted on her 1150, the upgrade after a leaker on her 12R to Wilbers was an easy sell and a no brainer to her. She gets it
    Last edited by henzilla; 09-14-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Paul, you are usually spot on, but you missed the boat on this one. any rider, from the newest noob, to N8 Kern, can use better suspension. I understand that 95% of us ( myself included ) can't use the full potential of our machines, however when I put Ohlins front and rear on my 1200 GS the difference was night and day! now I know what people mean when they say " handles like it is on rails! IMO any time you can improve control of your machine, you improve your chances as a rider.
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1978 R 100 S, 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

In order to keep the ESA functions, i see Wilbers to be a choice.
    However, was suggested to go with Tractive ESA1. which is a
    "plug and play" for my bike.
    Anyone's experience with this brand?

I have WESA on an 09, my ESA mounted on their cartridge and spring. Been a happy camper.

I do have a set of TracTive, arrived today, for a Wethead. Owner wanted lower and ESA and after a discussion with T.P., went with Touratech/TracTive. Eager to ride his bike in a few days

KIMG1515.jpg

These look very well engineered and crafted in the flesh

My phones camera however, a bit sucky.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I feel slightly dissed by that statement Mr. Glaves. It's not because I'm a better rider. It's purely a result of me having a more discerning posterior.

Apparently, some of us are better than average arses......
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175