Thread: "Clunking noise" from final drive/drive shaft area '06 GSA

"Clunking noise" from final drive/drive shaft area '06 GSA

'06 R1200 GSA with 77,000 miles.

Heard, felt, clunking noise from that area. Pulled the boot back and light smoke and very dry in there.

Are my u-joints done? Final drive failure?

If u-joints, is there someone out there who re-builds these, or is new replacement necessary.

I've checked on line auction sites, not sure I want a used one. If its my drive shaft, I prefer to have it re-built.

Thanks for input.
    '87 K75S sold 94578 vin150106
    MOA138871
    '80R65 Bronco brown
    '99 R1100rt Opal Blue

Quote Originally Posted by brhartw View Post
    '06 R1200 GSA with 77,000 miles.

Heard, felt, clunking noise from that area. Pulled the boot back and light smoke and very dry in there.

Are my u-joints done? Final drive failure?

If u-joints, is there someone out there who re-builds these, or is new replacement necessary.

I've checked on line auction sites, not sure I want a used one. If its my drive shaft, I prefer to have it re-built.

Thanks for input.
    If you remove the rear wheel, then remove the brake caliper and disconnect the torsion arm you should be able to rotate the final drive unit downwards and pull it off the driveshaft. That isolates each potential failure point. You can rotate each one independently and feel where the roughness is. I just had the same issue with my '09 RT at 70K, I thought it was u-joint but it turned out to be final drive crown bearing.

If it is the u-joints you can either replace the driveshaft or have new u-joints installed. Bruno's Machine and Repair seems to be where most people send their driveshafts for u-joint replacement.

If it's final drive there should be no reason to have smoke under the boot, that bearing is entirely internal to the final drive unit.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

My bets the u-joint is toast. Mine would index every 90 degrees with weight off wheel...hard to miss the click-click-click
    And with some smoke...

I have had luck with a used one from one of the Ebay regulars. New is pricey and waiting on one to be repaired is going to take a while. You may find the damage will prevent a repair...some are ugly.

I discovered mine on a Tuesday and left on a ride Thursday PM...pretty straightforward repair.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait