• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Welcome!

kbasa

Welcome to the Hexheads forum!

Don Eilenberger will be your mod in this new forum. Be sure to post early and post often!

Oh great...

I knew I was an Oilhead, but am I a hexhead too?? Geez, talk about confusing us poor soles...

Dave

R1200RT

Yes, thanks Dave, this is great.
Except I have a real bad Rod Stewart song running around in my head!
Iiif ya think I'm hexy . . . . .

I'd also like to welcome Darryl Richmond who has agreed to serve as a co-moderator... thanks much to Darryl!

Looks like we're off to a good start... lets post early, often and intelligently ;)

Re: ?

Hello;
I just got an R1200RT and what an upgrade from
a 1968 Triumph Daytona.
Question- What is the difference between an
oil head and a hex-head??
I thought my R12RT was an oil head but when
I see pictures posted here it seems hex head covers
everything.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for asking one of the few question I'm somewhat capable of answering.

Strictly speaking, a hex-head is an oil-head. Both the 1100s and 1150s as well as the 1200s are all oil/air cooled motors.

The 1200s (aka hex-heads) derive their name from the hex shape of the cylinder heads. They are a quantum leap forward in technology. Not only are they larger engines (1170CCs), they boast more horsepower, lower torque, and require far less maintenance. The final drive was reputed to be a lifetime no-oil-change, but BMW is backpeddling on that now. The transmissions have helical gears and are much smoother. They no longer require throttle-body synching, and have automatic chokes.

This is the depth of my understanding, and I'm sure others, more knowledgeable, will chime in.

Re: motor type

Tom;
Thanks for the education.
I didn't know that you don't have to sync the throttle bodies also.

What a great forum for a little education.
Looking forward to more.
Bill

Bill,

Actually - you still sync the throttle bodies - but the idle sync is done by the same stepper motors that control the idle speed. These eliminate the manual fast-idle lever that has been a BMW feature for many years - doing the same thing under computer control.

Wonderful engines the hexheads..

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum! The final drive was reputed to be a lifetime no-oil-change, but BMW is backpeddling on that now.

Well so far as I know, the final drive needs to be changed only at the running in check at 600 miles. The reason being, I'm told, that they are letting the owner/dealer flush the drive instead of having it done at the time of manufacture.

Hi Tom!

I have a question about your 6-22 post.

You state the 1200 has "lower torque".

I have an 1100 and a 1200 and it sure feels like the 1200 has more torque to me?

Could you explain that, please?

Thanks,

Downhill Hunter

New to this BMW thing, used to ride rice rockets after I came back from overseas.
This and other forums have already got me spending on all kindsa bling. Thanks.:bikes
Some buds and I are gonna try a week trip in Nov. Brrr...I got thermals on order.
Should be fun though, gonna make like birds and head south for the winter.
Since I'm sorta retired, maybe I'll just nest down there. :sick
Rick

Hi Tom!

I have a question about your 6-22 post.

You state the 1200 has "lower torque".

I have an 1100 and a 1200 and it sure feels like the 1200 has more torque to me?

Could you explain that, please?

Thanks,

Downhill Hunter

My explanation would be differing understanding of words like "lower." Do I want my wife to turn the air conditioning up or down?

I agree with you: it has more torque, not less. I used the word "lower" to try to describe that and didn't make myself clear. Thanks for clarifying.

Great forum. Wealth of information. I too thought I was an Oilhead then realized there was a spot for Hexheads. Either way, I am proud to be a BMW owner...finally! It has opened new doors for me, and stepped up the enjoyment level with regards to riding. I look forward to learning from others, and as soon as I can get involved in my maintenance will be more than happy to share my experiences.:dance

Glad to be here

Just bought an '07 R12RT. Loving it - and it's only been 3 days of commuting to work. Big change in comfort and enjoyment over my '96 Triumph Trophy. Looking forward to many miles/years/trips. G

hitch

Friends!
I have a 2008 R1200R and would like to purchase a trailer hitch for my bike. I am unable to find one. Please advise if you know a dealer or a shop that makes one. I would like to pull a small camping trailer
Thanks

I've been lurking here for a few months, signed up yesterday and ordered a new RT today. I am from California, at least I have a family and a mortgage there. My wife says I have a nice home, I don't know. I have been working in Saudi Arabia for almost 12 years and have been riding an American bike here for a few years. The only problem is it is European spec so I couldn't take it home whenever I go. The local BMW dealer is the only one that can (will) order a US spec vehicle so this morning I bit the bullet and ordered a new RT. It will take a few months to be delivered so here I sit during the prime riding season without a bike.:banghead

Anyway, looking forward to some good reading in the meantime.

I've been lurking here for a few months, signed up yesterday and ordered a new RT today. I am from California, at least I have a family and a mortgage there. My wife says I have a nice home, I don't know. I have been working in Saudi Arabia for almost 12 years and have been riding an American bike here for a few years. The only problem is it is European spec so I couldn't take it home whenever I go. The local BMW dealer is the only one that can (will) order a US spec vehicle so this morning I bit the bullet and ordered a new RT. It will take a few months to be delivered so here I sit during the prime riding season without a bike.:banghead

Anyway, looking forward to some good reading in the meantime.

Congrats on the new RT - a great choice. There must be all manner of bikes to ride in Saudi before the hot season starts.

Congrats on the new RT - a great choice. There must be all manner of bikes to ride in Saudi before the hot season starts.

I plan on visiting the Harley dealer and taking demo rides before they find out I've already bought something else! They are the only ones here that have demo bikes.

Back