• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rustic Road Patch

J

JCABRANES

As some of you may know the State of Wisconsin has a Rustic Roads Program. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/scenic/rusticroads.htm These are roads that are generally out in the country and are generally very pleasant to ride. If you can document (with a photo) that you have riden 10 rustic roads the State will send you a patch. I'm willing to lead a ride, take the photos and handle the administrative end of getting you your patch. Who, if anyone, is interested in a Rustic Roads ride? If I get enough interest I'll be happy to do the work.

Count me in, two bikes.
Would "prefer" early am.

Did I see somewhere that it would be 300 miles to get 10?

Count me in, two bikes.
Would "prefer" early am.

Did I see somewhere that it would be 300 miles to get 10?

Only if you are in counties with 1 or 2 roads. We will have to travel a little to get to areas where they are packed together. Probably between 150-200 miles total round trip (and I suspect it will be closer to 150 miles).

FYI, I'm looking at hitting Jefferson, Walworth and Racine Counties which should give us an easy 10 (and then some).

BTW, define the term early. Since I'm camping at the rally I'll be up early which to me is 6-7am but I doubt that there will be too many people that will want to head out that early and if we are doing this on a weekday, I'd like to start after the rush hour. If there is enough interest, we can start out early (8-9ish) and get breakfast on the way.

You guys decide, I already have my patch so this isn't about or for me, I'll accomodate the desires of the majority. BTW, I ride an LT and I dislike dirt and gravel roads. This will not be a GS ride... paved all the way.

Patches available at the rally on Friday

FYI - FRIDAY, July 13th.

FYI - The State of Wisconsin will be onsite to validate your photos and to hand out the patches on FRIDAY. You can find them in Hospitality.

Remember, all you need to do is ride and shoot photos of your bike at at least 10 of these lovely roads for a patch. If you really want to go for it, get at least 25 and you will also receive a certificate signed by the Wisconsin Secretary of Transportation.

Stop by and say hello to Ron Thompson, a fellow BMW Rider and MOA member. He also manages our Wisconsin Motorcycle Safety Program. His co-worker Barb Ofstie will also be there to help with this.

IÔÇÖm like you, IÔÇÖm ready to ride by 6am. But IÔÇÖll ride when the group does, just a preference. Besides if its only 150 miles, any time will work.
WeÔÇÖre not getting in until thur night so I was looking for some vendor time in the afternoons Friday, Saterday.

FYI - FRIDAY, July 13th.

FYI - The State of Wisconsin will be onsite to validate your photos and to hand out the patches on FRIDAY. You can find them in Hospitality.

Remember, all you need to do is ride and shoot photos of your bike at at least 10 of these lovely roads for a patch. If you really want to go for it, get at least 25 and you will also receive a certificate signed by the Wisconsin Secretary of Transportation.

Stop by and say hello to Ron Thompson, a fellow BMW Rider and MOA member. He also manages our Wisconsin Motorcycle Safety Program. His co-worker Barb Ofstie will also be there to help with this.

Wow Sue,

You think of everything.

;We have been working the last few weekends collecting our rustic road photos. I would suggest that you bring a Wisconsin gazetteer along Some of the descriptions in the Rustic Road booklet are inacurrate. Pay close attention to the descriptions. We rode one in western wi that was described as a gravel road. Ended up being one lane wide with numerous water crossings. I wish I could have gotten a shot of a couple of RS's slogging through a stream. (Those GS folks don't have anything on us;) ) A number of signs have been stolen so it can be tough to find some of the roads. The Rustic Roads are marked in the gazetteers.

I'm interested

Only if you are in counties with 1 or 2 roads. We will have to travel a little to get to areas where they are packed together. Probably between 150-200 miles total round trip (and I suspect it will be closer to 150 miles).

FYI, I'm looking at hitting Jefferson, Walworth and Racine Counties which should give us an easy 10 (and then some).

BTW, define the term early. Since I'm camping at the rally I'll be up early which to me is 6-7am but I doubt that there will be too many people that will want to head out that early and if we are doing this on a weekday, I'd like to start after the rush hour. If there is enough interest, we can start out early (8-9ish) and get breakfast on the way.

You guys decide, I already have my patch so this isn't about or for me, I'll accomodate the desires of the majority. BTW, I ride an LT and I dislike dirt and gravel roads. This will not be a GS ride... paved all the way.

I'd actually like to do this ride on Saturday, since I'll be getting to the Rally late in the day Thursday, and like to do the vendor/seminar/volunteer stuff on Friday.
However, one monkey don't stop no show, so whatever the majority of folks want to do will be OK. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just do my own thing.

I was just looking through all of the Pictures posted by BeerTeam. Beautiful area. I'm definitely in for the Rustic Road Patch. Thanks.

:thumb

Last edited:
Speaking of gravel 
Jcabranes, since you are on an LT, can I assume you will keep us on paved roads?

Sounds like fun

Keep me informed I would love to take that ride if the timing works out. I am volunteering from 4 PM to 8 PM on Friday.

05 LT

Rodger

;We have been working the last few weekends collecting our rustic road photos. I would suggest that you bring a Wisconsin gazetteer along Some of the descriptions in the Rustic Road booklet are inacurrate. Pay close attention to the descriptions. We rode one in western wi that was described as a gravel road. Ended up being one lane wide with numerous water crossings. I wish I could have gotten a shot of a couple of RS's slogging through a stream. (Those GS folks don't have anything on us;) ) A number of signs have been stolen so it can be tough to find some of the roads. The Rustic Roads are marked in the gazetteers.

That's why I'm looking at doing Jefferson, Racine and Walworth Counties. I live in Racine County and have been on most of the ones I plan to photo. Since the DOT will be on site Friday we should get cracking early Friday. Lets figure 8am so we can be back at the rally site by early afternoon. Or we can do it Thursday and take our time... your (collective) call.

Count me in too, please. (If you will have a baby beemer in your group)

I am coming down from the north so I was planning to get a few in on the way.

Speaking of gravel 
Jcabranes, since you are on an LT, can I assume you will keep us on paved roads?

I don't like gravel or dirt... the LT isn't really an offroad bike so you can expect paved roads all the way.

Any possibility of posting the spcific route(s)? I arrive early but think I will be very busy during the really. Would like to ride the Rustic Roads on my own before the Rally.

Thanks in advance! :wave

Paul

Any possibility of posting the spcific route(s)? I arrive early but think I will be very busy during the really. Would like to ride the Rustic Roads on my own before the Rally.

Thanks in advance! :wave

Paul

Be happy to do it when I have actually figured the route out. :)

I haven't been on some of these roads for a year or two so I want to ride them to make sure they are in good shape (read safe) and to figure out an eficient route to get 10 as quickly as possible. Since my wife just bought a new to her '93 K1100LT and the weekend is supposed to be nice, I may run the roads on Sunday and post a tentative route by early next week.

I have a couple more interested from the chromeheads forum. This could be a large group.

Back