• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need a K75 Transmission. . .

Dan Kearney

Greetings All,

I took my 1987 K75 in to the dealer for a spline lube (First since I've owned it) and discovered that the splines on the input shaft are shot. Dealer says it'll cost a couple of grand to rebuild the transmission in order to replace the shaft.

So, I am in the market for a used transmission. My question is, what years and models can I scavenge from? Can I use K100 or K1100 transmissions?

I have one lead on a 1990 K75 transmission which the owner states has 175,000 miles on it but excellent splines. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan K.
denver

IBMWR Marketplace

I am rebuilding a wrecked K75 and have had excellent results in locating used parts on the Internet BMW Riders Marketplace website. Most users of the Marketplace are reliable people, and I have yet to have a negative experience in probably two dozen transactions, from small pieces up to and including a full RT fairing. Of course YMMV, but I think this is a good parts source.

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/

You can scan the "for sale" ads or post a "parts wanted" ad. The ads are very well organized by type and also chronologically.

I am sure you can find what you need for much much less than the repair price you were quoted.

IMBWR Marketplace

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I have used the marketplace many times with results similar to yours. As a matter of fact the tranny that I talk about in my original post is from there.

Have you got any idea about cross-model, or cross-year compatibility?

Thanks,

Dan K.

How on earth can it cost "a couple grand" to replace an input shaft? Those things are like $300-400 brand new.

Check out this picture from the Clymer manual. It looks like the input shaft is easily replaceable. Can you find another dealer?

Attachments

• explode.jpg
    explode.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 131
Compatibility K100- K75

I am not enough of a "K" expert to know for sure, but virtually all the parts I have replaced on my K75 rebuild project are compatible with the 1986 though 1990 K100 2-valve models. From time to time I have "borrowed" pieces from my project K75 and used them on my '88 K100LT. I even swapped the final drive temporarily from the 75 using it on the 100. A different ratio, but a direct bolt-up.

My educated guess is that the transmission from a 2-valve K100 will work on your K75. I don't know if they have the same gear ratios.

Any experts out there?

Trans rebuilt cost guesstimate

Jon,

I will be picking my K75 up at the dealer later today to get the full scoop from him. Off the top of my head I am willing to bet that the vast majority of that "couple of thousands of dollars" would be accountable to labor charges. It probably takes a number of hours to remove, disassemble, replace, reassemble and reinstall the trans. I've never done it, but that's my guess.

KBasa said:
Paging Mr. Eilenberger and Mr. Curry....

Dan has contacted me directly on this - to summarize my advice - as far as that dealer - RUN AWAY RUN AWAY..

The dealer is estimating $450 labor and about $500 in parts to replace a clutch disk and install the used transmission. That's about 3 hours labor for a non-ABS model (and that's me doin' it) and mebbe $100 in parts.

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY

:confused:

Back