• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A ride to the NorCal '49er Rally

darrylri

Cannonball Rider #52
A group of us from the bay area rode up to Auburn, CA -- about 200 miles -- to the BMW NorCal club's annual '49er rally over Memorial Day weekend. Here are a few shots from the ride up:

Some of us got together in Los Gatos, and then took the freeway out to CA-84 between Sunol and Livermore.
IMG_1034_2.jpg

(l to r: Jim on his R60/2, me on my newly restored 1953 R51/3, Billy on his R90S, Joe on his 1939 R71 and Steve on his '02 R1150GS. Photo by Lars, whose 1938 R51 is on the left.)

We stopped for coffee and gas in Livermore. Here Jim helps Joe gas up his R71.
P5244369.JPG

Then we took one lane Patterson Pass Rd. out towards Tracy in the Central Valley.
P5244370-1.jpg

Here is 87 year old Joe cruising along on his 68 year old flathead. That's a century and a half between them!
P5244372-1.jpg

Even though we avoided Tracy, the development in the central valley is creating a lot of traffic and signals and intersections.
P5244373.JPG

Here is Jim on his /2 with its unusual gray with red pinstripes paint job.
P5244376-1.jpg

Lars leads the way passing traffic.
P5244377-1.jpg

Here's a better shot of Lars and his R51.
P5244378-1.jpg

And a shot of me on my R51/3. This bike was hit by another bike 1.5 years ago. The frame was broken, among other things, but I finally got it back on the road 3 weeks ago.
P5244380-1.jpg

P5244383-1.jpg

Unfortunately, Lars had a bit of bad luck. Leaving Stockton, his bike decided it was time for a break.
P5244385.JPG

Eventually, he got it running again, but then in Coloma, just 15 miles from the rally grounds, he picked up a nail. We all waited with him until he could contact his wife, who had driven up with a trailer. The next day they went down to Ozzies BMW in Chico.
IMG_1037_2.jpg

The rest of us made it to the Placer County Fairgrounds without further event, and had a lovely weekend!
IMG_1038_2.jpg

Cool pictures, Darryl. Thanks for posting. It was great to meet you (You are the winner as the only person who recognized my T-shirt). Congrats on your ambassadorship--I had no idea. Don't you get a sash or something? Diplomatic immunity?

Cool pictures, Darryl. Thanks for posting. It was great to meet you (You are the winner as the only person who recognized my T-shirt).
That surprises me! It's pretty unique. What do I win?

Congrats on your ambassadorship--I had no idea. Don't you get a sash or something? Diplomatic immunity?
I had no idea, either, it was Burnzilla's. A sash... hmmm... that sounds pretty good. I could be right up there with Emperor Norton I.

Back