• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

• Yep, sure did.

Votes: 199 73.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

Votes: 20 7.4%

• Total voters
74 Super Beetle

I drove a used 1974 Super Beetle (Curved Windshield) for nearly 8 years and 100K miles. In the end, the fenders were Bondo and the heater was a distant memory. Sorel boots and German Army wool fatique pants were required for any long winter drive.

Oh, the happiness of youth!

Does 2 Karman Ghia's count? Ride Safe :usa :usa My son owned 4 Karman Ghias and my daughter 2. I drove them all but my favorite was the 69 hard top. People would smile at you while commuting.

Last edited:
Beetles, bugs, Supers and a bus

Ever since I learned to drive in one, circa 1971, I've had an aircooled beetle in my possesion.
Now, I own a 75 Super Beetle convertible, a 55 Porsche Speedster Kit car, and a New Beetle.
If you put them together, they multiply!
Jim in Buffalo
58 R60
60 Puch 250
64 Vespa VNB 150
73 R60/5
07 LT
My insurance agent loves me!

I had a 66 bus that I absolutely loved. It had flowered wallpaper on the inside and was all about the hippie era. It didn't always run great, but you carried tools and sometimes it ran better by the time you got back home because it broke down so much. Life was better back then. No cell phones, no computers and you just made it work.

From New Orleans on IH-10, to San Antonio, the thing would almost change lanes without moving the steering wheel due to the Texas winds!

I know that one...my '59 microbus crossing the Galveston Causeway would change three lanes at once if you were not prepared. I used to stay in the middle lane and pray a lot! That and the no gas guage and reaching down to turn on the reserve knob...only to find it already on was always such fun. :groovy But it had a kickass stereo system and a seperate twelve volt marine battery to run it since the 6 volt system didn't help much.

My brother had the cool '72 Kharman Ghia his senior year. We both wish we still had them. Keep the oil changed and the valves adjusted and they ran forever...HMMMM, sounds familiar:brow

vw

I bought a new bug in 68. It was dark green with white interior. $1811. We had three in the family at one time. The cylinder stud pulled out of the block on it also. Had it repaired and she ran a good long while.

Had a 64 bug in '72 - learned about valves and how to wrench on it. The engine started
knocking on de acceleration (rod bearings said the Idiot manual) so I traded it in on my
1st new car, a Triumph Spitfire. The VW engine blew the next week. Kept the Spit in
one form or another for 33 years.

Last edited:
No no no!
With all due respect John . . .
That is a Golf (wolf) in sheep's clothing ;)
Gotta be before the Super B or it's not a B.
Just my $.02.
I'd love to find the one with the split rear window, very vintage, very cool, very serviceable . . . well if you can find parts.

Last edited:
No no no!
That is a Golf (wolf) in sheep's clothing ;)

Funny how they're masquerading modern cars to appeal to old geezers like us. The mini, new beetle, PT cruiser, HHR, new charger and camaro come to mind. Even the Miata is a tribute to the Elan. Most of those old cars weren't really that good, but the memories are great.

When my new wife(still have her!) showed up at my cabin/home on the Kansas river in 1971, after our honeymoon trip back from our KY wedding, the 1966 BUG was sitting in the driveway. It was her first car . I bought it from a local priest , repaired/painted the front fender, rebushed the front steering and all 40HP was hers to unravel! It would not keep up with my BMW 2002!!! The long grades on I-70 were a chore for that car.
I built a 2000 New Beetle TDI for her commuter car several years ago-ran it on red diesel and frequently got 50mpg. For a bit we tried a New Beetle Turbo convt. , I built, but they have almost zero trunk and the back seat is pitiful. And what German engineer came up with the trim mechanism that covered the convt top hole(where the top emerges from the qtr. panel) in the rear side area -was an SOB!-TRY $400+! for a trim mechanism, replete with cables and all sorts of goody/ goody parts that fail often! that was later replaced by a one piece black plastic trim part with a couple of screws!
All in all the new beetle is a nice car considering they are a retro Jetta.

I believe the very early, Gmund, Porsches had VW running gear.
I think you're right. I recall reading this but have nothing to reference it now unless I check online. The later 914 ( developed by Porsche as I recall) was meant to be a VW sports car but never was. Cannot remember why.

911 was a fun time....until the engine caught fire on a hot Indiana afternoon. There were some upgrades after that incident!
Mine was a '77 911S I bought in Albuquerque N.M. with the mag. block. Never had any trouble though. Believe it or not a li' ol' lady had owned it, purchasing it new in Denver.

'67 Beetle here

I drove a white '67 Type 1 for a couple years prior to getting my first BMW. Since it was the last of the older style bodies with the new in '67 fenders, decklid, and 12v electrics, I got a vanity plate, BUXOTIC. It's a word I heard in the intro to Mondo Topless by Russ Meyer. At the beginning of the film, a stripper is piloting a large Mopar around the hills of San Francisco as Russ talks about the charms these ladies have. I felt it fit the VW since it was an exotic Bug (or bugxotic).

Fun car to drive. Hot in the summer and cool in the winter. I liked how well it handled the snowy hills of Arlington, VA when the tank was full. Alas, I sold it and bought a new Corolla in 1992. My first Beemer was added to the stable in 1993.

Back