• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

• Yep, sure did.

Votes: 199 73.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

Votes: 20 7.4%

• Total voters
lets see the face now! see how much ya changed!

:)

Then & Now (I'm taller now):
beetle.jpg
me5.jpg

No Beetle, just crazy enough to own four buses.... 69, 70, 71 and finally a 80 Vanagon. Fun, but just not reliable for an unabashed speeder.

My first was a '68 that I bought my senior year in college. I paid $1,850 for it and traded it in four year later on a Mercedes 220D and got $1,450 on the trade in.

I had a '73 Super Beetle in 1984-86. My daughter was in high school at the time and was ashamed for me to pick her up in it in her friends' presence. Her friends proclaimed it cool and after that it was OK for me to drive it.

They were great cars that provide basic transportation with low operating costs. I would buy another one, if the made them in the same style as the old ones. I don't care much for the New Beetle.

Well, I didn't own it but my Dad did. When we went to Hawaii, our car ended up staying on the boat and going to Turkey.

Dad bought the last of the 6-volt beetles (1965? possibly early 1966)

It was becomming mine until when I was 18 a woman ran a red light and cut the beetle in half and slammed it into a third car.. My Dad was standing 100 feet away and figured he lost his #2 son, but it only cost me a broken nose, a busted up hand from going theough the radiom, some bruises, and new glasses. And a traffic ticket. (Totally wrong and unfair.)

In 1987 I came close to buying a reconditioned beetle until I looked at the engine.

The old Beetle Smile?

Remember the old Beetle smile? The front bumpers were always bent down in the middle so they looked like they were smiling at you.

Man I Loved that old 65.

Hey John Brown,that's my 62 Beetle!!

Hey fritz,that's not a beetle,that;s a beautiful Karmann Ghia.

Yup a "73

I had a 1973 Bug once. It was some new year for something about the tail lights or something. That was in 1996 or so. It was fun to drive and my freind rebuilt the engine for me then I ended up trading it for a yamaha radian.

I buzzed past a green super beetle tonight. Brought back memories of cheap beer and high school angst. :ha

Ghia

I have had several sedans and a bus over the years. Having escaped Dallas recently, I am able to use this '71 Karmann Ghia as my daily driver.

4071088653_0bf2e93281_o.jpg

I owned a Karmann Ghia and a Porsche 911 (very heavy duty VW in a sense, very early Porsches had a VW engine). My brothers owned bugs and I drove then a lot. I love air cooled boxer autos! And bikes.

Nice Ghia OldPaul! Reminds me of a friend from college who had a very similar looking one.

I buzzed past a green super beetle tonight. Brought back memories of cheap beer and high school angst. :ha

Me thinks there is more to this story, past and present, that is hiden behind that ":ha"

:brow

I had a '71 bus and while it was great in Panama, when I shipped it to the States, I learned it really wasn't a whole lot of fun on an interstate. From New Orleans on IH-10, to San Antonio, the thing would almost change lanes without moving the steering wheel due to the Texas winds! I sold it the next day and bought a Ford Torino, which BTW rusted (from the inside out) like an old tin can! Five years late I bought a 1976 VW Dasher, also a problem child.....radiator/cooling problems. After that I quit buying new cars (5 kids)! In 2006 I bought a new VW Jetta (TDI), and I love it. It's almost as much fun to drive as my R100GS is to ride!

alas, two

One beetle (62) and one bus (68?) - the bus was the collectible one with about 36 or so windows. But I was young, etc., at the collect-ability was still many years away.

I am still kicking myself for not buying a 73 or 74 Ghia. Not only the best looking thing with a VW air cooled boxer, but easier to access things in the frequently visited motor compartment.

Alas and alack.

Yes, purchased a '70 Beetle new in Norman, OK. It had the cylinder studs stripped out of the crankcase by 30K miles. That is, just after the 24K miles warranty was over.

Currently have an '81 aircooled Vanagon and a diesel New Beetle. The diesel gets better mileage than a motorcycle, I can drive it in the winter, and I can get groceries with it.

... very early Porsches had a VW engine ...

There were one or two years in the 1980s when the 912 designation returned and the car was fitted with a Type IV VW engine, i.e. similar to 914, 411, etc. Other than that, I think the only Porsche(s) fitted with actual VW engines.

Had a 61. They were not really that good of a car , they were just better than the rest of the smalls cars of the era. The main competition was the Renault Dauphine and it was a real dog.

Back