View Poll Results: Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

Voters
347. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, sure did.

258 74.35%
  • Nope

55 15.85%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

7 2.02%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

27 7.78%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

2 Ugly 4 LA, 2 Dumb 4 NY gussie54's Avatar
    Be brave, right through, and leave for the unknown.
    Rabindranath Tagore

almost 40 years ago, I bought a 65 or 66. took out all the fluids and battery, tipped it on its side and took off the body. Suspended it on lots of cinder blocks, and cut out I think 14 inches of the floor pan. Welded back, and then fitted a dune buggy body. Hard part was shorting the shift tube and not cutting the tubes for the clutch, throttle, brake? I had help from someone experienced. Then ordered a big bore kit, header, camshaft, good clutch, 2 bbl kits from JC Whitney. drove the heck out of it, then sold it and made a little profit. Very little. Learned that customizing cars is not normally profitable., You do it for fun. also learned that driving a slow car fast is more fun than a fast car slow.

It was fun. Someday might get another.

Rod

Cool Yup!!!

I had two Beetles (69 and 72) back in my college days. They were a great car in the summer, but up here in Canada you drove with one hand on the wheel and the other with a windshield ice scraper during the winter.
    Cheers!:

Fahrvergnugen!

Cool 4 cyl Boxers...

1961 Type 1 (Bug)
    1968 Karmann Ghia Cab (convertible)
    1971 Type 2 (Bus)
    1973 Type 2
    1976 Type 2 (2.0 liter EFI!!)
    1961 Porsche 356 Super 90 (B)

...all gone...but not forgotten!!!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

BUMP

Since another thread got VW-ized earlier, thought I would find this one.

Saw this today as well...a perfect bus for some of y'all with the fluffy stuff to deal with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Two bugs in our past.

A '61, that died an unpleasant death after being T-boned by a Jeep Wagoneer.

And a '65 that I saw recently putting around West Seattle....

The last time I rebuilt and installed that motor in the '65 was in '78 in Reno. Never forget that night, 6 inches of snow on the ground, working in a carport. Brrr!

Bill Johnston

I'd ride this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Never owned a Beetle...but did have a bus for a few years. wish i had it now !

BTW...OT but why is it that when I reply all i get is a field 2"X 2" ? I apologize for asking here..but I cannot ask as a "new thread" because this little box has no title field ?....

Any help appreciated !
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

First Car

was a 66 Beetle that I bought used for $900 in 1969. It got me where I needed to go most of the time. I remember disconnecting the gas line, taking off the breather cover, sticking the line in the carb, cranking the motor to get some gas in there, reconnecting everything, and it was good to go. Pushed it down a hill many times to start it. My first car repair was to patch a hole in the tank with JB Weld. I was in Dallas - no A/C, AM radio and was living the life. Someone put daisy stickers on the car and after I peeled them off, you could see daisy "shadows" in the paint. Sold it to an old girlfriend of mine years later for $600 and bought a Pinto. That was probably 24 cars and 18 motorcycles ago. My first motorcycle was a 1964 Suzuki 80 Billy Goat (I think that was what the model was called?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzc View Post
    Seems to be a lot of confusion about Beetles and Bugs.
    My sister bought a brand new and I think first of its kind, Karmann Ghia in 1955 or 1956. This was a volkswagen with an Italian made sporty body which vaguely resembled a "Beetle". From the dealer it was $2500 and used ones were selling in Chicago for $3500 to $5000 in Los Angeles. Dealers were bound by Germany to sell at their price but demand was so high you could sell one for nearly twice what you paid for it.
    The standard Volkswagen was called a Bug.
    I never heard of a "Super Beetle". Unless they are talking about the new ones being made now.
    Those Beetles/Bugs were great little cars. My sister's Ghia had a manifold heater and air passing over the manifold was directed into the car. Didn't work worth a darn in our Michigan winters.
    When it snowed hard the snow would come right into the car through the defrosters and you would have a small blizzard inside the car while driving down the road.
    My sister's Ghia got about forty five miles per gallon and you could drive it 70 MPH all day long and be comfortable.
    Both models were great in the snow. Definitely the "People's Car".
    The Super Beetle was a distinct model introduced in '72 or '73, ran through the end of '79. It was lightly longer, had a curved windshield, curved styled dash, upgraded interior materials, & an outside gas filler door. The regular beetle became a stripper model. I had a new dark blue '73 Super, my first car with radial tires!
    bikenut595

'72 75/5 Toaster, '72 75/5,
    '04 1150RT, '10 1200RT, '14 Zuma 125

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I think the only reason the Beetle was considered a good car was because its competition at the time was so much worse. The Renault Dauphine, Simca, Fiat and similar cars made everything that would run seem good. My Dad had a 61 but he bought with 20,000 miles on it and we watched it die at 60,000. No heater to speak of, wouldn't start when it was cold, The book said it had a top speed of 72 but that was apparently downhill with a tail wind. They claimed that they would get 40 MPH but his got 25-28 on a good day. When the interstate come through, you could ride on it and see many Bugs broken down sitting beside the road waiting on a tow truck. They could no take running wide open on the interstate.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think the only reason the Beetle was considered a good car was because its competition at the time was so much worse.
    Not just the other Euro brands that you mentioned but American cars as well. The Vega/Astra, Pinto and many others of that time were pure junk.

Kind of shocking how lopsided that poll is.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by bikenut595 View Post
    The Super Beetle was a distinct model introduced in '72 or '73, ran through the end of '79. It was lightly longer, had a curved windshield, curved styled dash, upgraded interior materials, & an outside gas filler door. The regular beetle became a stripper model. I had a new dark blue '73 Super, my first car with radial tires!
    I think the curved front window started with the '73 model year, 71 and 72 had flat windshields. After 75 or 76, they got fuel injection.

My 74 SuperBeetle took me to college every day, excluding one fuel pump failure, and lasted until I saved enough money to buy a car with a heater and AC.......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744