• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Montreal to West Bend

C

cgdrake

I'm planning on making the trip from Montreal to the Rally in West Bend and am in the process of deciding on the route to take.

My options so far:

Westbound: Montreal -> Ottawa -> Sault Ste Marie -> West Bend

Eastbound #1: West Bend -> Chicago -> Buffalo -> Rochester -> Montreal
Eastbound #2: West Bend -> Chicago -> Buffalo -> Niagara -> Montreal
Eastbound #3: West Bend -> Mackinaw City -> Down the coast to Ludington -> Bay City -> Port Huron -> Toronto -> Montreal

Anyone have any suggestions? I've never driven any of this route except the 401 stretch to Toronto before, so no idea what the nicest way to go is. I'm interested in seeing Chicago but also somewhat leery of driving through it in traffic fully loaded.

Chris

I'm coming from Ottawa, and I'm doing Sault Ste. Marie on day 1, then to Cedarburg WI (where I'm staying) on day 2. I'm continuing west to California after the rally, so I don't have return route suggestions. That said, I've never heard of anyone recommending riding anywhere near Chicago, for reasons of traffic, construction etc. Most suggest avoiding it completely. I'm sure you'll have lots of comments on Chicago from people who have actually ridden there.

My thoughts exactly...

Yeah I thought about doing Sault Ste Marie in a day but this is going to be my first long ride on my first motorcycle, and I figured I try and give my ass a little break. :)

I'm planning on camping at the Chutes Provincial Park between Sudbury and Sault. Then camping a second night in Escanaba before heading down to West Bend.

My gut is telling me the same thing about Chicago. As much as I'd like to see it, I figure it'll be nasty driving through it in traffic and I likely won't enjoy it all that much. I think the trip down the eastern coast of Lake Michigan will be way more enjoyable.

Thanks for the input and enjoy the ride to Cali.

I'm coming from Ottawa, and I'm doing Sault Ste. Marie on day 1, then to Cedarburg WI (where I'm staying) on day 2. I'm continuing west to California after the rally, so I don't have return route suggestions. That said, I've never heard of anyone recommending riding anywhere near Chicago, for reasons of traffic, construction etc. Most suggest avoiding it completely. I'm sure you'll have lots of comments on Chicago from people who have actually ridden there.

I am heading east after the rally to Kingston.

I was thinking of doing the Chicago-Toledo-Cleveland-Syracuse-Ivy Lea route as I have never been along the south shores.

I didn't think The Chicago traffic would be that bad on a Sunday morning on I94/I90.

Any locals or people with past experience through there have any reservations?

My route and time will hit Gary at about noon.

I didn't think The Chicago traffic would be that bad on a Sunday morning on I94/I90.

Don't kid yourself. Chicago traffic is always bad. Add alot of extra time to your ride if you are planning on going through Chicago.

I would go with the westbound option as I did it last May and comparatively speaking little or no traffic.Prepare for some delay on the bridge at the Soo .For the return condider west to Mississippi R and follow it south to St Louis area and then east towards Kentucky,Virginia and north through PA.:thumb

Back