• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Feeling really low!

Fritzc

I broke the small lower leg bone (fibula) on my left side on May 12.
For anybody with similar experience, what are my chances of riding to the National?
What are the chances of getting a refund on my preregistration??
If I can get a refund then I will go to the Dells Rally.
:dunno FWIW, I'm 72 years old but have always been in good health! :gerg

fritz, you don't need a refund, you need a hack! :clap

seriously, good luck healing quickly.

Get Second Opinion

What does he know?:wave
I don't want to ask! What if he says no???:fight

My doctor said I shouldn't ride a motorcycle. I got a second opinion. You need to find a doctor who understands the problem. If you can't find one who rides, try for one who specializes in sport medicine. They are more prepared to assess you without bias and do what is necessary to get you back in the saddle.

Heal well.

Holly

Opinion?

My doctor said I shouldn't ride a motorcycle. I got a second opinion. You need to find a doctor who understands the problem. If you can't find one who rides, try for one who specializes in sport medicine. They are more prepared to assess you without bias and do what is necessary to get you back in the saddle. Heal well. Holly

I told the Doc I wanted a second opinion and he said: "Okay! You're ugly too!":evil :jester

I broke the small lower leg bone (fibula) on my left side on May 12.
FWIW, I'm 72 years old but have always been in good health! ...

Dang, Fritz!!! I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune! I hope that the break wasn't the result of a crash on your bike.

If you can't ride your bike (likely not a great idea until the bone is fully knitted) you can drive over (via the ferry, right?) and we can all sign your cast.

Heal fast, friend!

You better listen to me Fritz. LAY LOW! Do not push with the fibula bone. As you know I fractured both lower legs and ankles. With all the hardware installed in my legs, I set off the metal detectors at airports and courthouses.
I am now waiting for cadaver bones. I think I may have pushed myself to get back fighting fires. I am planning a November surgey. That is if I can take the pain until then.
I am going to attempt to head downstate Tuesday or Wednesday. I have to do a tire change on the 1100rs. I'll be sure to stop over.

Take Care & Heal Quick and Correct
Pat Carol

Not a cycle accident

Dang, Fritz!!! I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune! I hope that the break wasn't the result of a crash on your bike.
Heal fast, friend!

Sorry, I should have made it clear I did not break my leg riding my motorcycle!:thumb
I broke it at work. I had some cards made up that explain it for all my non-motorcycling friends that are convinced I am eventually going to crash and injure myself.:violin

Six Weeks - No Problem!

Hi Fritz -

I am betting that after six weeks of following the doctor's rules, you'll be in fine shape to come to the rally. Once you are at the rally, you can always get rides on the golf-carts that are scurrying all over the rally.... the Go-Fers are always ready to help.

Heal fast - and try to come over to the rally. If you hop on the car ferry, your ride will be cut substantionally. See you this summer!

Been There

Hi Fritz
In May 1988 I bought a sidecar about 100 miles from home. On the ridehome, I crashed and broke both fib & tib just above the ankle. I had the rig fixed in weeks. I had the cast off Tuesday, and left for Madison IN the next morning, with the sidecar. Biggest challenge was getting a boot on my right foot.
PS I was a child of 49 years at the time. I KNOW that makes a difference.

At least check with the doctor as to the timing of your progression, likely from a full and/or nonweight-bearing cast to a partial and/or walking cast, etc. With that timeframe in hand, you will want to do every friggin' exercise they give you and then some, especially while in casts. Once the cast comes off, you find out how much you were relying on it for support, so keep all your muscles flexing and ready for supporting the leg. You'll be surprised if you find yourself back on crutches or using a cane after having been in a walking cast, but you work through this stage quickly if you were exercising.

I broke the tibia and fibula and ankle all at the same time. I was able to ride the bike fairly soon after the second cast came off (6 weeks full casts, 4 weeks half casts), I even rode to physical therapy, but I couldn't turn it around or park it on gravel; that took another two weeks to build that strength and confidence, too.

As long as you are healing and knitting the bone (sometimes older bones take longer to knit), the bones grow back even stronger. I take it you didn't need any hardware for the repair? That's when folks overstrain the bones, since they aren't fully knitted and the hardware allows them to feel they are healed.

Thanks

At least check with the doctor as to the timing of your progression, likely from a full and/or nonweight-bearing cast to a partial and/or walking cast, etc. With that timeframe in hand, you will want to do every friggin' exercise they give you and then some, especially while in casts. Once the cast comes off, you find out how much you were relying on it for support, so keep all your muscles flexing and ready for supporting the leg. You'll be surprised if you find yourself back on crutches or using a cane after having been in a walking cast, but you work through this stage quickly if you were exercising.

I broke the tibia and fibula and ankle all at the same time. I was able to ride the bike fairly soon after the second cast came off (6 weeks full casts, 4 weeks half casts), I even rode to physical therapy, but I couldn't turn it around or park it on gravel; that took another two weeks to build that strength and confidence, too.

As long as you are healing and knitting the bone (sometimes older bones take longer to knit), the bones grow back even stronger. I take it you didn't need any hardware for the repair? That's when folks overstrain the bones, since they aren't fully knitted and the hardware allows them to feel they are healed.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I will admit I have some experience with this since it is the fourth broken bone I have had in my short life of 72 years. I promise to listen to the docs and therapists. The worst part is how difficult it is to get around and do the normal things I like to do. I think I will be ready for the rally.
Thanks to all you others that have offered advice and humor. :dance

Back