• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the best summer jacket and pants?

S

SweetT

Hello everyone. I'm planning my ride out to spokane and I'd like to get a summer riding jacket. I've noticed a lot of stores online that are closing out 2003 jackets and pants so I'm interested in purchasing one soon, even though I cant wear it for a few more months. I would like it to have CE armour, and cost less than $150ea. I know this limits me to a mesh textile jacket like a Teknic supervent or Joe rocket Phoenix. I'm not sure what kind of pants I should get though. My cycle shop doesn't carry any of these items right now (it is Jan afterall!) so I was wondering if any of yall knew anything about these jackets and could make a reccomendation to me.

Thanks!
Tarren Shaw
Stillwater, OK
'91 K75

Check out Firstgear, I ride in South Florida year round and like this gear a lot.
The best thing to do is to try out some gear if you can.
It is a very personal choice but you have to fit in the gear well, be comfortable and safe. The stuff has to be snug for the armor to work well. Some gear is too lose for the armor to stay put in case of a incident
Good luck!! :bliss

I wear the Joe Rockets, and have used them as high as 96 degrees. Not to say you are cool, but tolerable, as long as you keep moving and wear clothing of some of the modern wicking fabrics underneath.

I bought a Spidi (can'T think of the special name) air jacket at the Charleston rally. It has CE armor & is very nice. It has a H2OUT waterproof liner that goes into a little pack that attaches to the back of the jacket. Didn't ever think that a waterproof liner was a good idea, but after riding quite a few miles in this jacket, I like it. If it rains or cools down just put the liner in. Cell phone in zip lock bag just like with Darien jacket. I also have a pair of Firstgear mesh tek pants that I picked up at the Finger lakes rally. Like them too! You can't have too much riding gear! :dunno

I love my mesh gear when riding in humid climates, but found when traveling in extreme heat in the West, I was happier in my First Gear Kilimanjaro - with the bottom lining zipped out - and with lots of onboard water to drink and frequent additions of water to my clothes inside the jacket.

Out west, the mesh stuff made it hard to stay hydrated and the super heated air was more effectively blocked by the fabric than by mesh.

Haven't found one do everything riding suit yet, but the Kilimanjaro is close.

Voni
sMiling

The hydration part is a valid point while wearing mesh gear . I must say that I have a 3 liter camelback on my back or on my buddy seat to keep me from drying out and blowing of the bike:rofl
What ever you decide to get make sure you drink a lot of fluids, with water and diluted gatorade being the best.
In the summer here in S Florida it gets brutal with the heat and humidity reaching the 90's, you have to drink a lot!
Anyway these are my 2cts worth.

From what I have read from the so called experts, if the ambient temp is higher than body temp, then cover up completely. If ambient temp is lower than body temp, then ventilate. Either way, you are going to need lots of fluids, more than you would think.

I have had the First Gear jacket for two summers and the pants for one. I have been very pleased with both.

I really like my First Gear Meshtex pants and my Vanson Falcon Jacket. I also use Sidi vented boots.
meshtex_pants_lg.jpg

Rad, I like the MeshTex pants, too. Even in Florida summers, they're bearable (I wear them over a pair of shorts). The only thing I don' t like about them is that I have to take my boots off to take them off or put them on.

Hall

helliott said:
Rad, I like the MeshTex pants, too............... The only thing I don' t like about them is that I have to take my boots off to take them off or put them on.

Hall

I'm ok with that because I like pants that go in my boots, not over them.

Originally posted by helliott I have a Brosh mesh jacket that I wear in our brutal, central Florida summers. [/url]
I looked at the Brosh web site and it's not clear to me what part of the Brosh Ultra-K is Kevlar. Is it a true Kevlar mesh? If so, how fine a mesh is it?

Thanks.

"I looked at the Brosh web site and it's not clear to me what part of the Brosh Ultra-K is Kevlar. Is it a true Kevlar mesh? If so, how fine a mesh is it? "

I don't have the Ultra-K, Desert rider and can't answer your questions. My expereince with Brosh, though, is that they're very responsive to potential customers, so I'd bet an email to them would get a quick, thorough answer.

For Dallas in July, I went with the Tourmaster Cortech mesh and have found it surprisingly good with decent armor. The Jury is still out as to what I'll actually take when it comes to riding to Spokane. I'm not sure if the price works for you on the above, but there's always Moto Liberty here in Dallas. They have a good selection of apparel that is priced well and they always have stuff on clearence.They can ship anywhere. Give them a shot at: motoliberty.com

Last edited:
First Gear TexMesh

I bought a Spidi Net jacket and hated it. So much so that I paid the shipping and 20% restock from MAW to send it back. A year later I bought a First Gear TexMesh and love it. So much so that I'll ride it to work in the afternoon and regret it riding home at 11pm when it's really too chilly. I've heard the TexMexh pants are great. too but, have no experience. Maybe I'll get a pair this summer.

MarkF

MotoLiberty are a good shop. I bought a Joe Rocket Reactor from them a couple years ago that is okay, but I think I'll have to upgrade to a better mesh outfit. The reactor has perforated leather sleeves which get a bit steamy in the armpit-like TexSux summer.

Back