• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I think I made a mistake

uncutshirt

I need some perspective...

I just bought a 07 650GS and its light and easy to handle but can I make it more highway friendly? Can I run 80-90 mph for a few hours? After all, I need to drive there to go off-road...plus I commute to work and 1/2 the miles on expressway.

Larger windshield and run it at 6k/rpm for 600 miles a day? I just sold my RT and I think that I am having withdrawals but I did not like how top heavy it was and that I could not go off-road at all.

On the plus side - its superfun on the streets

You sold your RT?! Dude what happened to our ride?
S'ok I just picked up a F800ST so we can still get 'er done.

Sheesh!!!!

I just bought a 07 650GS and its light and easy to handle but can I make it more highway friendly? Can I run 80-90 mph for a few hours? After all, I need to drive there to go off-road...plus I commute to work and 1/2 the miles on expressway.

Larger windshield and run it at 6k/rpm for 600 miles a day? I just sold my RT and I think that I am having withdrawals but I did not like how top heavy it was and that I could not go off-road at all.

If you had a RT, and wanted to go off-road, why didn't you swap the RT for a R-GS?

Seems if weight was a consideration, the lower weight of the GS over the RT would help you out. You'd have essentially the same engine, so maintainence and repair would be virtually identical to the RT...

Just curious as to your thought process - at some point I'll trade my K75S in for a RT, a RT-P, or a R-GS. Still trying to make up my mind on that, but I simply haven't considered one of the new F/G BMWs as an option at all. What went into your decision matrix when you decided to replace the RT with a 650GS?

You just need to get used to riding a light, nimble bike. (ie NOT a big horking pig) Stop over to www.650.com and search "1000 mile rides." The biggest limitation to riding an F650 is you*, not the bike.

*Proverbial "you," not the personal one.

Dvandkq - why are you not considering the F models at all.

The 800ST seems to be a logical progression from the 75, 30 more horsepower, nearly double the fuel efficiency, ability to tour and turn with equal ease and overall a major modernization of the 75.

Unless you are going to RT for straight two-up touring, of course.

If you had a RT, and wanted to go off-road, why didn't you swap the RT for a R-GS?

Seems if weight was a consideration, the lower weight of the GS over the RT would help you out. You'd have essentially the same engine, so maintainence and repair would be virtually identical to the RT...

Just curious as to your thought process - at some point I'll trade my K75S in for a RT, a RT-P, or a R-GS. Still trying to make up my mind on that, but I simply haven't considered one of the new F/G BMWs as an option at all. What went into your decision matrix when you decided to replace the RT with a 650GS?

The R-GS is still a massive beast of a bike, well suited to fire roads, but not so good for true off-road riding unless 1. you're a great rider (e.g. Jimmy Lewis) or 2. you've got a deep wallet and don't mind repairing the broken bits or 3. you're a BIG big boy. It can be done. I've done it. It is fun. But it's not the simple fun that riding on a more dirt focused bike is. 520+ lbs doesn't make for a dirt bike. Every time you have to pick it up, you can't help but remember that.

Having said that, and wanting a more off-pavement worthy do everything bike myself, I'm waiting for the F800GS. The F650GS has never pressed my happy button. I like something with some on road hooligan capabilities. :D

You just need to get used to riding a light, nimble bike. (ie NOT a big horking pig) Stop over to www.650.com and search "1000 mile rides." The biggest limitation to riding an F650 is you*, not the bike.

*Proverbial "you," not the personal one.

Almost always the case with any bike. :nod

Having said that, and wanting a more off-pavement worthy do everything bike myself, I'm waiting for the F800GS. The F650GS has never pressed my happy button. I like something with some on road hooligan capabilities. :D

ditto that!

Mistake? You gotta be kidding!
Commuting...Would it be easier on a RT? Yaaah, -But.

I do over 80 miles a day commuting.
Last year I put almost 11K miles of commuting miles on this bike.

*1/2 of that distance is highway. Rush hour, 75+MPH or get run over -highway riding.
*30 Miles is early morning back country roads, twisting, scenic - master the corners - type of riding.
*10 miles are in city stop and go traffic, keeping an eye on the "makeup artist" behind me, and the "CrackBerry lover" to the side of me - type of riding...

I average 67 MPG. Let me type that again...I average 67 MPG...I love the ring to that..."Need I say more when gas is now over $3/ gal?"
"Sometimes" I wish i had more scoot. Not usually.
I enjoy seeing a trail and off I go. Up here, like many mountainous areas, there are some great off road sights to be seen via the bike...
RTW "proven" capabilities. Research how many travel the world on this bike!

This is the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

Its not THE tool for any one ride - but it covers just about all of 'em well enough.

Now If and When the 800GS comes out...And its not screwy ugly, poorly designed, a real match to the legendary 80GS...I may be really tempted...Maybe, $$ is going to be a big factor in that decision.

On the original questions here. (And Flash412 hasn't raised his head yet. But Sarah gave a prop for F650.com - Hehehe)

Yes, you can run your little 650 motor at 6000-7000 RPM all day, not just a few hours, but all day.

If you are spending more time on the highway and less on the dirt paths that connect the highways you can change the grearing to lower the RPM but you lose some off-the-road nimbleness.

There are a number of after-market screens available to make it more comfortable. Seems the Cee-Bailey one is up to the task better than others. (But, I'm happy with the stock Dakar screen on mine upto and over 70.)

Don't worry about letting this motor run high-strung, it likes it - countless others have experienced thousands of happy miles getting there.

PWGS
YMMV

Yes - you can run them that fast but you'll get tickets.

.... just sold my RT and I think that I am having withdrawals but I did not like how top heavy it was and that I could not go off-road at all......

My '84 RT goes off-road all the time (on purpose).
Yours must have been a newer one.:laugh

I think this is one of those where you have to decide what you want.
I solved a similar problem of liking certain features of bikes I have bought by keeping them. That probably explains why I don't have any new ones. I realize that won't work for everybody.

I was thinking lighter is easier and I wanted to go anywhere on the bike. Advrider and F650.com had me hooked with what I could do. See Striking Viking in the latest Owners News. Plus - I have this vision of doing an Iceland tour next year or so and they use 650s.

I was leaning toward the 1200GS but when I said 16K to my wife... well - I guess we are buying a new house and all...

The good thing is that it really gives me confidence in my riding - the RT was so big that I was always a little unsure of my ablities. Now that I know - I want my RT! She left today but went to a good home.

All good things in time and we learn from my mistakes - the 650 will do what I bought it for - Iceland baby! And - I am looking at the K1200R suited for touring or the GT next year.

- curt

My thinking

I was thinking lighter is easier and I wanted to go anywhere on the bike. Advrider and F650.com had me hooked with what I could do. See Striking Viking in the latest Owners News. Plus - I have this vision of doing an Iceland tour next year or so and they use 650s.

I was leaning toward the 1200GS but when I said 16K to my wife... well - I guess we are buying a new house and all...

The good thing is that it really gives me confidence in my riding - the RT was so big that I was always a little unsure of my ablities. Now that I know - I want my RT! She left today but went to a good home.

All good things in time and we learn from my mistakes - the 650 will do what I bought it for - Iceland baby! And - I am looking at the K1200R suited for touring or the GT next year.

- curt

Thanks All

I appreciate all the support

I added the BMW larger windshield and the handguards - Handguards are great but the windshield was a was a waste of money.

I just picked up an F650GS too, and I agree that it feels very different on the freeway than my other bike. I've got a tall windscreen, which is *still* lower than my K75T windscreen, so I'm considering one of the 20" Parabellums. In all honesty, I expect I'll just get used to the buffeting, since I get buffeted on the K-bike, too, and it doesn't bug me unless I start thinking about it. And I do love the feel of the engine around 6000rpm.

What I found unsettling in my first week on the F650 was how much more susceptible to crosswinds it is on the freeway, compared to my heavier K75. Again, I expect I'll get used to it, and soon be able to compensate without really thinking about it. I hope so, anyway, since my reflexes get me into a hell of a lot less trouble than my conscious mind.

What I had real trouble with was doing the 2mph clutch-slipping traffic crawl through a half-mile construction zone. That was really awkward, and it didn't help that there was a nice wide stretch of dirt off to the side of the road, calling out for me to put the GS through its paces.

My wife followed me on her bike today and said that the F650 has, and I quote, "the loudest f---ing gearbox I've ever heard on anything."

Hey man - give me a call when want to ride - love to see the 800!
You still got the RT?

Heck yes I still have the RT. I think you got off to a rough start with yours in the slop, too bad. I'm sorry to hear you sold it. We'll get a ride in soon, I'm sure, you're just a quick run down the five three.

Enjoy your new ride!

I started riding the big twins in 1970 - and rode them up to when I got my last one, a '04 1150GS. They're great bikes. I made a mistake too - I was out of town and walked by a BMW dealer where they'd just uncrated and set up a 650. I'd never ridden one or even seriously looked at them. I needed to kill some more time on my walk so I borrowed a helmet and took it for a ride. Got back from my test ride and wrote them a check. These bikes bring back some of the feeling I had riding British bikes in the 60's. They're a lot of fun to ride and are easy to maintain.

Back