• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Playing Music

HELLIOTT

I know that I've seen (but it may have been on Chromeheads) discussions of using portable mp3 players or other portable systems, mounted in tank bags for music, but I can't find'em. Can anyone point me to an old discussion or maybe start a new one?

I've actually been shopping for an MP3 player. A fellow WI Club member suggested the Archos www.archos.com - he has a 20GB 'Jukebox' model. He paid over $200. It may be discontinued though - I can't seem to find it online.

On the Best Buy site I found a couple of 40GB models but they were over $500. :yow

iRiver seems to have some good smaller memory/less expensive models for around $200.

There has to be someone else out there who has dabbled with this already. Can anyone offer advice/suggestions?

Before I started on my 5K mi trip last summer I spent about a $130 and bought a satelite radio system and a little FM transmitter that I tune in my walkman to. It was great! I would've been tired of my own music about three days into the trip. Now I have 100 channels of music to choose from so there is always something I like to listen to.

Tarren Shaw

There's a good reason why the iPod still rules the mp3 player market. yummmm....

When my brother's Ipod died last year, he was told by Apple that he had to buy a new one, that there were no replacement batteries. Guess they have changed that policy.

lorazepam said:
When my brother's Ipod died last year, he was told by Apple that he had to buy a new one, that there were no replacement batteries. Guess they have changed that policy.

Yes, they have. It seems like Apple didn't think through their usual service policies in regards to a small electronic device. Their standard starting fee to service a computer that's out of warranty isn't much less than the cost of an ipod. If you apply that fee to servicing an ipod, you quickly decide to just buy a new one.

They now have an ipod battery replacement program. I believe it's $99 (includes labor). There are also aftermarket alternatives such as at the link Eric provided.

Yes, I'm one of those mildly rabid mac users.

Head/ear thinga-ma-jiggys

So I have a Chatterbox hjc90. Speakers mounted in helmet, kit mounted to bars. Currently I use my MD player out-into Chatterbox-out to head speakers. This allows me and the warm backrest/wife to listen to music and converse on a long trip(not that we talk much, but hey-its there).

Question: helmet speaker upgrade-if there is such a thing possible-or earplug headphones?

I never really liked the sound outta the headset spkrs. I want a little bit of bass.
Rumor has it my loving wife has bought me an IPOD for my anniversary gift. I want to go full throttle on a completly new package.

Any opinions?

There are fantastic ones out there, I just don't remember their name right now.

Ertynomics or something? I think Darryl has a pair.

Shure E3 or E4

http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e5c.asp

Sure they are $500 but from the reviews I have heard, they are freaking incredible. They actually have two transducers, one for HF and one for LF. They are actually competition to my employeer so you can tell I have no interest....

Me, I am looking at getting some custom mold plugs as they should have transfer tactile frequency resonance. (They should physically vibrate my bones to produce bass.) Mike Weiss has ones for about $120.

Close K man!

KBasa said:
There are fantastic ones out there, I just don't remember their name right now.

Ertynomics or something? I think Darryl has a pair.

They're called Etymotic ER-6 earplugs and they're great!
That said, I still have to take them out on long rides due to some discomfort (only if they're in more than four hours). I have a pair of Bass Monster speaker mounted in the helmet as backups. I'm waiting for a clean Blue Tooth solution that will allow me to ditch the wires on the ER-6s.
As for MP3 players. iPods rock. Their new mini-iPod looks pretty cool and seems to do the job well. I have a Nike/Philips 256Mb MP3 player that works well enough but it's no IPod.
Cheers,
Jorge

Weird thing about me n music

I LLLOOOOVE music. Lots of it. But I find that I like riding without it now. On my first bike I was way ahead of the curve ('76). I mounted a car cassette player in foam in the pocket of my windjammer. I went to a hi-fi store and bought a pair of ultra thin, European headphones (remember, this was in '76). I took them apart and mounted them into my helmet and hard wired the phones into the cassette deck.
Hey it had auto-reverse and I was a jammin' dude - even if the wire between my helmet and the fairing jumped around a little.
Now - riding without music suits me just fine.

first, thanks.

If I were rich I still don't think I could justify $500 for headphones. They'd better be bluetooth.
I would love to have a nice bluetooth soution, but it is between the Etymotic ones, or the custom foam job. I would probably lean towards the custom foam b/c it may be less irritating in the helmet. How about those Bass MOnster helmet spkrs, how are they.

And to keep the thread even more livelier - how about mounting? I tried a mounting solution for my mini disc player, but the vibration Rockster handlebars made it unplayable. I don't like to carry the tank bag always. All I need is the open road and some tunes. I like the fact that I can create a playlist with the IPOD, I cannot wait any longer!!!! honey - when exactyl did you say I was getting it?

iRiver Slimx-350

I use a iRiver SlimX-350 CD player that is mounted in a Marsee tank Bag, that contanins my Autocomm. I can use the unit on any bike.

I load up a CD with MP3 music and I am set for over 6 hours on one CD, One extra CD in the tank bag and I am set for any trip.

The award winning SlimX iMP-350 $130.00
Features:
16.7 mm Thin with Premium Metal Case Design
Plays MP3, WMA, ASF, and Standard Music CDs
Skip-Free Playback up to 16 minutes
Up to 23 Hours of Playtime
Integrated digital FM Tuner with Presets
4 Line, Brightly Lit, Text Display on Remote Control
Album and Artist Information Using ID3 Tags and CDText
M3U Playlist Support
Upgradeable With FREE Online Updates
Rechargeable NiMH Batteries
Built in Battery Charger

I have one of those cbmw, and it definately rocks! I like having the radio available for weather reports if you find a station that gives them, and traffic reports. It never skips, and I have an adapter to run it off the battery, so I dont worry about the batteries going down. It also plugs into my autocomm and sounds great.

Music

I use an i-Pod and even on long trips I still won't repeat songs since you can store about 10,000 songs or so I'm told on it.:brow

Back