• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Playing Music

get off?

so ive thought about this also, and im happy with a 128MB player. i have one of those jump drive ones. its small and if i were to use, i'd put it inside my jacket, and run the wires internally. the thought of having a wire hanging in the breeze bugs me. also, what happens if i have a big mp3 player sitting in a tank bag, and earbuds jammed into my ears, and i have a getoff? i would hope the plug would come right out of the player but i'd worry about the buds getting ripped out of my ears with my helmet on.

anybody go down with a set-up like i describe? how was it?

cbmw1150 is a wise man. :idea

I've been using my iRiver SlimX-400 for about a year on my bikes and I love it! I get between 10 and 12 hours of music on each CD I create. Just got back a week ago from Death Valley and the iRiver made it almost all the way on one charge (570 miles). It quit about 5 miles from the turnoff near the Inn.
I also built mine into my tank bag so I can move it from bike-to-bike. I also use the XMA3 amp for mixing in my V1 audio.

Mick:dunno

PS: The intercom is a Starcom 1 out of England and it allows me to interface my iRiver, my Archos FM 20 Jukebox Recorder, my cellphone, FM stereo and/or cassette from the bike radio too. The XMA3 is an amplifier too, about a 6.5 gain on the stereo input.

Attachments

• tank_bag_sm.jpg
    tank_bag_sm.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Autocomm

I'd highly recommend the Autocomm system. I have my MP3 plugged in along with cel phone, bike2bike. I was very much against music but I have a long boring commute to work and thought I would try it. I got hooked real fast. The Autocomm system works great and is expandable if I ever want to add radar, GPS etc.

I run a Creative Nomad IIC. I buy my 128mb cards off ebay where they are generally pretty cheap. Would love an iPod but it is not in the budget right now.

I am still toying with the VOX settings on the bike2bike. Just needs a little patience in calibrating but I am usually too eager to ride to get things set up.

Installed Autocom

We got a substantial IRS refund, so I sprang for the full Autocom Pro and it was installed, yesterday. After finally getting the headsets installed so they are comfortable, the only problem I have left is with the volume on my mp3 player. It's an RCA Lyra and with the volume full-up, I could not hear it very well on the ride home from the shop at 80-85mph. I've tried tweaking the VOX control and seemed to get a little more volume, but that was while sitting in my garage. I haven't yet had the chance to test it on the road.

The Autocom, itself, is in my right pannier on my CLC and works great wqith the standard radio/cd player and the intercom feature, although we've only tested it in the garage, seems to work as advertised.

Anyone have any sugggestions for volume on the mp3?

Re: Installed Autocom

helliott said:

Position of the speakers on the inside of your helmet is critical. It will take some tweaking to find the right position. The speakers have to be directly over your ear for maximum volume. I had the same problem, but trust me once you get the right position the volume will be fine.

There is no question that ipod is the best player out there. For you PC people , yes even you can now enjoy superior Mac technology. Next for ipod will be Igps and Ivideo I'm sure within the same compact body. Any other I ideas??

Re: Installed Autocom

helliott said:
We got a substantial IRS refund, so I sprang for the full Autocom Pro and it was installed, yesterday. After finally getting the headsets installed so they are comfortable, the only problem I have left is with the volume on my mp3 player. It's an RCA Lyra and with the volume full-up, I could not hear it very well on the ride home from the shop at 80-85mph. I've tried tweaking the VOX control and seemed to get a little more volume, but that was while sitting in my garage. I haven't yet had the chance to test it on the road.

The Autocom, itself, is in my right pannier on my CLC and works great wqith the standard radio/cd player and the intercom feature, although we've only tested it in the garage, seems to work as advertised.

I worry about damaging my hearing by cranking up the volume. I set it while stopped and live with the fact that at higher speeds or in blustery conditions the player gets drowned out.

Knary, I don't want it blasting -- just loud enough to hear and I think I've solved the problem. I tweaked the earphone position, at someone's suggestion, to whom I owe thanks. I also played with the VOX control a bit and then _made_ an opportunity for short test ride. It worked fine up to 85, indicated, which is about as fast as I ride.

I like it.

I was thinking of installing a Bose noise canceling head set into my helmet. Has anyone ever tried this? I think the music would be awesome and if the noise cancellation part worked on the wind noise how great that would be. Don't know how much of the helmet I would need to cut out to make them fit but that wind noise really bothers me.:clap :idea

Sounds on the Bike

I think I have found a pretty good solution: Gateway 20MB MP3 jukebox paired up with Sony Fontopia earbud headphones. The headphones have little soft rubber ends on them that fit into your ear and act like earplugs to keep out the wind noise. Best sound I have ever had from a pair of headpones. They are about $40, and some people have gone with the similar Koss earplug headphones at half the price. Incidentally, the Sony's also come in a noise-cancelling model that costs aroudn $120. Can't vouch for them, as I have never used them.

I bought the Gateway because it was reasonably priced ($299), had an FM tuner built in, gets files directly from Windows Media Player 9, has a handy remote that I can clip to the tankbag, and is able to handle Audible.com WMA books. The books are great for commuting, since it is easy to hear traffic over spoken word.

The only complaint so far is that it sorts the music on a given album alphabetically rather than by the original order on the album. Not a big complaint for rock/jazz, but a big issue when it comes to classical. My solution has been to create a playlist for each album so that it plays in the right order. I looked at the iPod, but did not need any of the extra features like calendar and solitaire, but did want the FM tuner.

Next purchase: a Mixit that will allow me to hook up the Garmin 2610 and a radar detector.

Cheers,
Mark

Back