• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does this seem fair to you?

LENNYB

I recently purchased a 2002 1150RT. The nearest BMW dealership is an hour and a half away, if traffic is rolling good. I've already purchased $600-700 worth of stuff from them. I took the bike in this week for annual service and a few other things. The bill was almost $600. When I got back home I realized they had removed my saddlebags (to change the tires, no doubt) and neglected to put them back on. So I called and explained that if I lived nearby I'd be happy to come by and pick them up, but I couldn't afford to take another half a day off, just to get the saddlebags they didn't put back on the bike. So I asked if they would ship them to me. They agreed. Today they called me and said I owe them $21 for shipping. What do you think?

Don't pay. It is their dumb mistake not yours. Next time don't have the bags on :stick :laugh

No it does not seem fair.

Don't pay it. Take it up with MOA Consumer Liaison. You can find the contact information on page 8 of the April ON.

Yes, they should have replaced them

but you didn't notice them being missing. My point would be - where does the balance of responsibility, or blame, fall?

The dollars are not really significant in the scope of the maintenance costs you've indicated, so the issue appears to me to be one of "Who's to blame?". In other words a pi**ing contest.

Do you value the service and the relationship? There are so very many battles we all have to wage; this is a minor one IMO. What is it worth to you?

For my part, I would eat the charges and downstream make sure they know you are a top tier customer and expect due consideration on continuing service - with a smile. From a "political" perspective you can always use it in future negotiations or bargaining.

I recently purchased a 2002 1150RT. The nearest BMW dealership is an hour and a half away, if traffic is rolling good. I've already purchased $600-700 worth of stuff from them. I took the bike in this week for annual service and a few other things. The bill was almost $600. When I got back home I realized they had removed my saddlebags (to change the tires, no doubt) and neglected to put them back on. So I called and explained that if I lived nearby I'd be happy to come by and pick them up, but I couldn't afford to take another half a day off, just to get the saddlebags they didn't put back on the bike. So I asked if they would ship them to me. They agreed. Today they called me and said I owe them $21 for shipping. What do you think?

No not fair. OTOH How could you not notice that the bags were not there when you got on the bike to ride it back home? The bike looks different and rides different w/o the bags.

The bike went in the shop doors with saddlebags and was released back to the customer without the bags. Mistakes happen, but if this shop's attitude is that customers share a responsibility in the shop's internal QC procedures. I wouldn't be comfortable turning my bike over to them.
Talk to the manager, if he won't budge, look at it this way: they are willing to loose you as a customer over $21.00.

Motard

$21.00 is cheap. Pay up and be happy they packed and shipped them. Always walk around your bike before you ride, pre-flight you will be surprised at what you remember. What was it Forrest said

For my part, I would eat the charges and downstream make sure they know you are a top tier customer and expect due consideration on continuing service - with a smile.

THEY left his bags off and THEY want to charge him for the shipping to return them. They've told him loud and clear where he ranks on the "top tier customer" list.
I would explain to them that you don't feel you should be charged for the shipping. If they disagree, point out Motard'S argument. Really dumb to lose a customer over $21.

Your annual service was reasonable compared to what I pay here in Canada. The $21 is not outrageous compared to your time and gas going back to pick them up. Yes the mechanics should have remembered to reinstalled the panniers, but then again, you also bear some of the responsiblity for not noticing them not on the bike. The dealers that I have dealt with expect the customer to not leave the bike with the panniers, most likely to avoid the situation that you encountered. The situation is certainly annoying but it would be even more so if you had to return to pick them up. Free delivery would be nice, but I've learned unfortunately that many organizations to not practise great PR or customer service that most of us expect to receive. I do understand and empathize with your viewpoint, but I can almost guarantee that this will not happen to you again.

I would look at this as an opportunity to develop a good relationship with the dealer.

I would call back and talk to the service manager about the charge.

I would point out that while I do feel somewhat silly about not noticing I am concerned about the fact that your wrench took stuff off the bike and forget to put it back on.

I would thank him for packing and shipping the bags and suggest that we split the difference with the $10 being added to my next service.

Really dumb to lose a customer over $21

OTOH how really smart to abandon possibly the only service outlet you have for a measly $21. Is this a financial proposition or an ego problem?

Thank you all very much for taking the time to add your two cents. Of course, it's not the $21. It's just the feeling of being asked to pay the price of someone else's mistake. Why didn't I notice them missing? Can't explain it, other than to say I haven't had the bike a long time (a few months) and I guess I didn't notice any difference in the handling. I actually made a short trip after I got home and when I got back to the bike I went to put something in the sidebag and that's when I noticed. I did feel a little dumb, but I also felt disappointed that they would let the bike go without reinstalling accessories they had removed. I certainly expected them to pay the shipping and apologize. It looks like I'll get neither. Rather than apologizing, they said they expect their customers to check their bikes before leaving. Valid point, but when you're paying a premium price for service, when mistakes are made, I guess I feel entitled to an apology and a genuine effort to "make things right." I feel a little let down. I'll probably pay it, but go to an independent garage in the future.

OTOH how really smart to abandon possibly the only service outlet you have for a measly $21. Is this a financial proposition or an ego problem?

Neither, rather the position of a professional taking pride in ones work. I'd be ashamed leaving removed accessories off a customers bike, let alone charging that customer for returning them.

Motard

Motard, you stated my feelings exactly. I've been in business for 30 years, so I've been on the other side of the table many times. Anybody can make a mistake or forget something. But whenever my business has made a mistake or omitted to do something we should have that caused a customer any inconvenience, we ALWAYS make them whole. I cannot recall a single instance in 30 years where we suggested the customer pay for the consequences of our negligence or oversight.

To err is human

Mistakes happen. How you recover and make right is the issue. Ultimately the dealer has responsibility to re-install the side bags unless these was some disclaimer upfront. Ideally you would have caught it before leaving ... but one can be pre-occupied or otherwise distracted. Onus on the dealer.

I wouldn't be too upset at the dealer for the error ... but their reaction to it shows poor customer service and bad judgement.

Work out a win-win with them (if that's possible).

I always make a personal point of double checking the dealer when they do work on my bike (which is usually just tires). TOO many times I've found bolts not tightened, parts not replaced (a side panel), etc. BMW service areas typically have an 'open door' and customers walk right in, distract service technicians, and they don't always double check their own work. HOW one misses side bags not being on the bike, I cannot fathom - they're so big! ;) I suppose the rider was also distracted and just didn't think about it (though that's still a bit hard to miss I'd think).

I'd suggest they go half on the shipping with you... each party should have noticed the bags missing and the expense could have been averted. It is a good point that the dealer should just eat the cost, I've made mistakes and done so, but since they are requesting the full shipping cost from you, they apparently feel differently about it. I like the idea that they also credit it towards a future purchase... that's a great suggestion!

I'd give you grief for not noticing your bags where missing except I did something funnier. I left my pants at the dealer. :doh

I tried on, and walk out with a new REV'IT riding suit. Wouldn't you know I'd left home without the bags on the GT. It was a busy Saturday at the dealer, but Max himself was out there helping me bundle up and strap my old riding gear to the bike.
I got home and realized I'd left my jeans in the dressing room! They put them in the mail for me the next business day - no charge.

OTOH II, The Sequel:

The best thing BMW-NA ever did for me was to decide I didn't really need a dealer, and pulled the franchise from the only one within 275 miles for two years until they found someone willing to invest millions with the hope of making thousands on BMW sales. It taught me self-reliance and resourcefulness. I now have a garage full of tools purchased with the money I saved on BMW hourly rates as a result.

Losing a BMW dealer can be somewhat like having a boil lanced, IMHO. This dealer sounds just like such a case.

I'd give you grief for not noticing your bags where missing except I did something funnier. I left my pants at the dealer. :doh

That sounds like one of those really bad dreams... showing up late to a final exam with no pants on...!

I tried on, and walk out with a new REV'IT riding suit.

Oh... thptptptpt... I see now, you had clothes on... just left some behind! ;)

FWIW: I did actually show up to a final exam once after it was over... fortunately, so did 6 other students because the Prof didn't get the word to all of us he'd changed the exam schedule... so they had to allow us a re-test and we had an extra day to study.

Back