• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Old question...Windshields

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Any opinions on windshield options for 07 650 GS? GF's came with "speedometer protector" :laugh
She is 5'7" and wondered about tall BMW as well as CeeBaileys versions. Saw a few opinions somewhere, but could not find this AM.

I just ordered the Cee Bailey's 22 incher on 04/17/07 for my 07 650GS. Waiting for it to come in. I'll keep you posted on what my observations are.

Hankles

Definitely go to the Chain Gang and join up as Sarah suggests. I have a CB on my and it's great on and off road. BTW, I'm 5'6".
Cheers, Greg

People will have varying tastes in this matter, but I like the BMW "Tall" shield, which is also on the Dakar. I still get some wind, but I don't get any buffetting. This is not the shield to get if you want to be totally out of the wind, though.

People will have varying tastes in this matter, but I like the BMW "Tall" shield, which is also on the Dakar. I still get some wind, but I don't get any buffetting. This is not the shield to get if you want to be totally out of the wind, though.

Waiting on Hankles report...anything will be better than the "speedometer protector" on it now...I wore an open faced helmet for a corner store run...reminded me of the Honda 90 years:D

Any opinions on windshield options for 07 650 GS? GF's came with "speedometer protector" :laugh
She is 5'7" and wondered about tall BMW as well as CeeBaileys versions. Saw a few opinions somewhere, but could not find this AM.

I was in the same boat as you a week ago. I am new to the 650 and bought a Tall windshield from BMW. Its ok and keeps the buffeting down but there are time when I 'm going over 70 that I swear that I could fly off. If i could do it over - I would do a taller aftermarket

I put the Wunderlich tall screen on my bike this winter and love it, I'am 5 11 and get no wind in my face, They have a short version also. Can be bought at BMW Santa Cruz.

According to the FEDEX tracking code, my Cee Bailey's 22 incher should be waiting for me when I get home from work. So, I'll be posting the results ASAP.

Hankles

Here's the preliminary report on the Cee Bailey's 22 inch windscreen. It arrived around 6:00 pm last night so I didn't have a chance to really test it on the open road. So, there will be a follow up to this. First, I wear an open face helmet and I noticed a breeze in my eyes. Second, there seemed to be a lot of wind noise, but no buffeting.

I am taking the bike in tomorrow for it's 600 mile checkup. I am going to put the OEM flyscreen back on and take mental notes while driving down to the dealer which is a few towns away. When the bikes checkup is complete, I'll reinstall the Cee Bailey's screen and compare mental notes and post the full report. So please hang in there. BTW, it took a least two weeks after I ordered it before it went into production, then a couple days to produce it and then a full week to ship it. I ordered it on 04/17/07 and just got it yesterday (05/10/07).

Hankles

OK, Here is my take on the Cee Bailey's 22 inch Windscreen for the F650GS . . .

I am disappointed.

To give you an idea about my size. I am just about 6' tall, 30" inseam. We won't go into poundage.

It look great, but what I found was:

1. It is noisy. You hear a lot of turbulence.
2. I wear an open face helmut with a clear shield. I experienced a lot of breeze/wind in my eyes. A lot more than with the OEM flyscreen.
3. When I got onto the highway at speed, there was so much turbulence that I couldn't see straight.

In all fairness to Cee Bailey's products, I think that I may have ordered the wrong height. I should have gone shorter, maybe 18 inches. The reason is, when I stood up a little on the pegs, everything got quiet. There was no wind/turbulence. I am going to try to have it trimmed down maybe 2 inches at a time until I get it right. I would like to have this done locally so I can have it trimmed and then test until it is right or close to it. My only other recourse is to sell the winscreen if anyone may be interested.

I hopes this helps more than confuses.

Hankles

P.S. Does anyone know of anyone that can do this type of mod in the New Hampshire/New England area?

windshield angst

I've read everything on the f650 site and find most of it is old news. I drive a 99 f650 with a tall "cheetah" windshield and and a laminar lip. It's not too bad, but I'm wondering about the Aeroflow deal that mounts further backward would be better. I think the root of the buffeting problem is no matter what shield you're using, it's too far forward. Make sense?

More on windshield angst

Actually I was talking about the Parabellum windshield that attaches to the handlebars, not Aeroflow. Problem is, being '99 vintage, I think it's getting hard to find a manufacturer who's interested in outfitting my bike anymore, but the current F bikes couldn't be that different, could they?

Back