• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Was HODAG banned ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more things change....you know the rest. But, yeah you are right, some of the folks who posted in the previous discussion....where are they now?

That is a great question. It should be followed by; How do we bring them back?
I have heard numerous reasons that folks leave. Some of them are just stuff happens, life changes. But in many cases, we as a membership can and should reach out to invite them back and make them feel welcome.

Hodag is back. Think of a member you haven't seen on the forum in a while and drop them a line. It is the membeship that drives this community.

Heading out the door to work.

Before I go I have to agree wonder and ask.

That is a great question. It should be followed by; How do we bring them back?
I have heard numerous reasons that folks leave. Some of them are just stuff happens, life changes. But in many cases, we as a membership can and should reach out to invite them back and make them feel welcome.

Hodag is back. Think of a member you haven't seen on the forum in a while and drop them a line. It is the membeship that drives this community.

Great idea. My questions before I put hand to keyboard are:
What am I inviting them back to?
Why do I think/hope they would stay when they get here.

:lurk ...at least when I come back home

So.....Hodag came back?

What does this mean?

Is it a sign of the Apocalypse?

:nod

12/21/2012

:rofl

Before I go I have to agree wonder and ask.

Great idea. My questions before I put hand to keyboard are:

What am I inviting them back to? The MOA Forum Community. That is really what the forum represents. We may discuss and disagree about all sorts of things but it is the community of people that this place really represents.

Why do I think/hope they would stay when they get here. Because hopefully they will find and build relationships here, contribute from and add to the community (I see a Star Trek Borg reference here; "We will add your uniquenes to the collective :laugh).

:lurk ...at least when I come back home

:nod

12/21/2012 The Mayans never said the world ended then. They just haven't published the new calender yet. ;)

In the end it is all about the community we create here. People may come for tech info or ride reports or whatever but they stay if they feel that they are part of a community of people. Friendships and shared experiences are the key.

What free swag are you offering in exchange for my vote?:hide

4bb271752a1abca9947ef961133c5e894d749e04_m.jpg

A chicken-dance, among other outstanding prizes...

That chicken dance will get you just so far, skippy. Is she prepared to Hokey Pokey (ooops) and Hand Jive (ooops again!). Does she Macarena??
Gilly

Ian Schmeisser For BMW MOA President?!?

I covered his failed 2008 campaign run for the US presidency in Morning Reads. If he isnÔÇÖt seen as candidate enough to run a world superpower how is he ever going to be seen as worthy and capable enough to be president of a real power like the BMW MOA?

IIRC any member can ask the nominating committee who is running.

From the by-laws:

4.3 The nominating committee shall, at any time, advise any individual member of BMW MOA who so requests which members have been nominated or have submitted nominations for any or all positions.

In the end it is all about the community we create here. People may come for tech info or ride reports or whatever but they stay if they feel that they are part of a community of people. Friendships and shared experiences are the key.

I agree that in the end it is all about the community we create here; however, I’d be careful with Borg references when writing to people that have left.

When I have been writing people that have left I have told them about things such as the Superbike Supstakes the development of On Online and more recently the inclusion of a vintage racing seminar at the 2010 International Rally along with. The obstacle that is put in front of me in response in several replies has been your sci-fi analogy for joining; the Borg.

The writers have acknowledged seeing changes and improvements. They don’t see the BOD as a problem but see it as over the last several years has gotten out in front of the membership in several areas. ON is seen as one of the best rags around but still tilted toward the chartered clubs, rallies and touring. The idea of the potential for added editorial content online is intriguing to them but still seen as a future development. The reaction to the forum is where their Borg comments come in.

The forum originally opened opportunities for the exploration of motorcycling that the print and rally versions of the club could never develop. As you point out friendships were made online that are all but impossible to have happened anywhere but in the online forum virtual world. They understood the no squids rules and having to ride between the lines but the forum originally added a dimension that allowed them to go on virtual voyages to explore where no member had gone before. Then the Borg showed up.

Rather than a place to explore for them it became a place to be assimilated. Rather than being a place where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts it became a zero sum gain realm for them. Being exploring minority thinkers they felt they were confronted with the options of being assimilated fighting or fleeing. They did not want to be assimilated. They felt resistance on the forum was futile and left.

It is the obstacle I have the most trouble overcoming talking with people about coming back and presenting here as a topic of discussion.

IIRC any member can ask the nominating committee who is running.

From the by-laws:

4.3 The nominating committee shall, at any time, advise any individual member of BMW MOA who so requests which members have been nominated or have submitted nominations for any or all positions.

:evil
:lurk

I agree that in the end it is all about the community we create here; however, IÔÇÖd be careful with Borg references when writing to people that have left.

When I have been writing people that have left I have told them about things such as the Superbike Supstakes the development of On Online and more recently the inclusion of a vintage racing seminar at the 2010 International Rally along with. The obstacle that is put in front of me in response in several replies has been your sci-fi analogy for joining; the Borg.

The writers have acknowledged seeing changes and improvements. They donÔÇÖt see the BOD as a problem but see it as over the last several years has gotten out in front of the membership in several areas. ON is seen as one of the best rags around but still tilted toward the chartered clubs, rallies and touring. The idea of the potential for added editorial content online is intriguing to them but still seen as a future development. The reaction to the forum is where their Borg comments come in.

The forum originally opened opportunities for the exploration of motorcycling that the print and rally versions of the club could never develop. As you point out friendships were made online that are all but impossible to have happened anywhere but in the online forum virtual world. They understood the no squids rules and having to ride between the lines but the forum originally added a dimension that allowed them to go on virtual voyages to explore where no member had gone before. Then the Borg showed up.

Rather than a place to explore for them it became a place to be assimilated. Rather than being a place where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts it became a zero sum gain realm for them. Being exploring minority thinkers they felt they were confronted with the options of being assimilated fighting or fleeing. They did not want to be assimilated. They felt resistance on the forum was futile and left.

It is the obstacle I have the most trouble overcoming talking with people about coming back and presenting here as a topic of discussion.

The only response I have to that is the Borg reference was a joke and really does not represent the membership here. While there is a fairly steady demographic that the forum appeals to, the diversity of experience, riding style, and preference that I see here is quite varied.

I hope that "exploring minority thinkers" (I think I understand that phrase) are welcome to their opinions and preferences. By the very definition of "minority" in this case, the expectation that the majority would embrace their perspective is unrealistic however. There is a subsatntial difference to having a different view point, and having a different viewpoint that you expect everyone else will embrace. In the closing of the ToTs area, we recognized that the way the varying view points were expressed there didn't fit the expectations of the club as a whole, and rather than maintain a devisive element, we closed it.

In your response, your critique is either directed at the Forum Team and the efforts we have made to maintain the atmosphere that the majority of members have told us they expect or at the membership that posts here regularly.

If your comments are directed at myself or my team, I will stand by our record over the last year and the feedback we have received in response to our efforts.

If your comments are for the membership as a whole, I will stand by my statement that this place is what the membership chooses to make it. From my perspective that is a vibrant, healthy and active community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back