• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inclement Weather Camping Options

B

BMWTurk

Greetings! This will be my first rally of any kind. I will be riding my RT from Arkansas and camping at the site - camping on the grounds is free - right? Here is my real question. Should inclement weather arise to the point that my tent should think of colapsing in high winds and rains, would the "air-conditioned pavilion" be available for someone to seek temporary shelter in? Such a worst-case scenario would be welcome for my peace of mind... Thanks! :brow

The air-conditioned pavalion will be open throughout the evening so that people can use the toilets inside. However, we will strongly discourage anyone from sleeping in the hallways, unless the weather turns really bad, in which case we will obviously do what we can to keep everyone safe.

Also --- there are other outside structures that could accommodate folks if the old tent-poles started bending in the wind.

But in truth - here in Wisconsin, the summer thunderstorms that might roll through are generally an afternoon phenomenon. I would say you shouldn't worry about the weather.

Glad to hear this will be your first rally! Be sure to get to the Ambassadors Tent to see what kind of goody they are giving away to the first-time rally goers!

You are going to have a GREAT TIME! :clap

Sue

More bad weather advice!

Your equipment speaks volumes, when things turn bad, so think not terribly high$$$'s, but reasonably well thought out gear for camping. I've camped under the worst case scenarios and have found a few things worthy of mention to first time campers, etc.. Tents; aircraft grade aluminum poles make for the best strength in tent building, so look for the tents with these. No tent is worth its salt, if not sealed properly with seam sealer and maybe even Scotchguarding the fabric every season for good protection. Whatever tent needs to be secured "well" to the ground, including the fly. This is where most rally goers have failed, that have had bad experience camping. Even the fibre poles can take a fair beating, when the tent is secured proper:). Your ground cloth/tarp has to be well tucked under the tent to prevent "catching water" between the tent and the tarp!!! If you know weather is bearing down on you, keep a towel and/or absorbing cloth for those last second leaks that may sneak in and you can wring it out as needed to the outside. I don't like water and have had great success keeping it at bay from the interior of my living quarters, under some near hurricanes! The storm cells move rather quickly, when encountered so don't think the worst as it pounds your tent...Gear; keep it in dry bags, inside or outside the tent for the absolute best protection and peace of mind knowing all is dry when the storm blows past. Nothing worse than wet gear/clothes when you need dry ones! You'll find your sleeping pad will keep you dry from whatever little leaks happen to occur and the towel thing mentioned and you may not have any leaks if preped properly. I hope you all camp well and enjoy the rally,etc in your travels as i have for years and years. A good quiet/dry camp is like the best night at home in bed:). Happy Trails, Randy13233

But in truth - here in Wisconsin, the summer thunderstorms that might roll through are generally an afternoon phenomenon. I would say you shouldn't worry about the weather.

You should ask the Oshkosh regulars (EAA Air Venture) about "Summer Thunderstorms". The most violent weather I have ever tried to sleep in has been during the flyin. Even worse than the storm at Lima.

Like this....

By "Inclement weather" do you mean like this:

P1010002.jpg

Another Newby Needs Rally Advice

Greetings! This will be my first rally of any kind. I will be riding my RT from Arkansas and camping at the site - camping on the grounds is free - right? Here is my real question. Should inclement weather arise to the point that my tent should think of colapsing in high winds and rains, would the "air-conditioned pavilion" be available for someone to seek temporary shelter in? Such a worst-case scenario would be welcome for my peace of mind... Thanks! :brow

A few questions...no camping reservations needed? Where can I lay my hands on more EXACT info of who, what and where things will be at the Rally? A map showing reference to the Ralley?

This country boy has a few "goin to da big city" questions!

Red aka Jethro Bodean riding his GS!
:brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow :brow

Which reminds me....

When I first got a real job many many years ago, I worked as a park ranger, and learned a few things like never never undress or make whoopie in a sheer tent at night WITH THE LIGHT ON

Or never attempt to ride a motorcycle to a cliff edge 60 ft above a lake and then jump off just before she launched, thinking you would land on the ground and NOT go sailing off the cliff because the momentum will take you off..

Or never tear out railroad ties used to landscape the park to burn in your campfire, then stand around the fire getting drunk for half the night because the preservitive in the railroad ties makes sooo much soot you wake up the next morning coated in black oily soot looking like Al Jolsen!
(all true things nutty campers do!)

and then that reminds me of the song for those of you who take the time to read it! I was a park ranger looking for a poor guy who drowned after his old wood fishing boat got harpooned by a jet boat late at night...he had no lights....

sung to the tune of the beverly hillbillies..

One day ol Jed's a fishin in his boat
boat went down, jed found out he can't float.
Down to the bottom down to the sea...
now jeds wife is collectin the fee...

dead mans gold
insurance money that is!

Jed really did die that summer in a boat, and me and my buddy ken made it up while netting for his body! We finally found him after a long summer waiting for him to pop!

Have a good one, and somebody please let me know about camping and info!

Have a good day!

Red..

hey where are you in ark.we are leaving ft. smith on the 9th.we are going to do 300 mile or so days and are going to camp along the way and are looking for others to ride with.thanks Layton

Back