• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tent

P

proctor

can anyone suggest a good two man tent, that is compact to carry and easy to put up.

Based on this Forum...

I picked up a Eureka Apex 2TA from Amazon.com. I bought from reviews that I read online as well as some recommendations from this forum. The price was right, the size and ease of installation seemed right, plus I got a $10 rebate.

I bought it specifically for motorcycle camping.

thanks for the info, I looked it up, that helps alot.

2004 GS 1150

Proctor:

There are a number of good tent threads on the site that you can access through the search feature. MOA members are tent aficionados. But here's what I look for in a backcountry / biking tent:

1. bathtub floor i.e. a minimum of seams in contact with the ground
2. goody bags inside to put stuff in while sleeping
3. both end walls zip right down to the floor, from the inside
4. inside hooks to hang a drying line from
5. roomy vestibule
6. light weight (not a concern for bike only use)
7. generous fly overhangs to keep rain out when end walls partly down
8. tent has a fly

For motorcycle camping, pick a tent that will give you lots of leftover inside room to keep your stuff dry while sleeping: i.e. for solo camping, pick at least a 2 person tent, for 2 person camping, pick a 3 person tent. You can't have too much interior room. There's at least one guy in MOA who comes to the rallies with a tent big enough to park his bike inside.

Rinty

I have the Apex 2TA as well, it's a good tent for dry weather camping. I will probably be buying the 2XT (which is much the same tent but with a fly that covers the doors) before my next big trip in June. The small fly version leaks a bit through the zippered doors. The next model up in the eureka range is the Pinnacle, similar but design lighter weight.

The 2XT:
apexxttent.jpg

The 2TA:
apextent.jpg

Something I look at in tents is pack size. One nice feature the Apex line is the 18" long tent poles (folded size). Every little bit helps when you are packing for the long road.

Since getting divorced, I have been traveling solo but I wouldn't want to travel with anything less than a two person tent. The extra space lets me bring my roadcrafter in out of the weather plus anything else I might not want to leave outside. Back in the day when I had a traveling partner we used a 3 person tent quite happily. Susan rode her own bike so space for packing was less of an issue than it is for the solo rider.

Last edited:
I reccomend

the Coleman 7x7 Sundome. It's got all the good features, I used on exc;usively for 7 years and they cost between $39 & 49.

Once in Death Valley it rained hard and the tent was dry inside.

Not an expedition tent, but a great almost all around high value, easy to put up, cheap tent.

Ditto on the Eureka Apex. I have been using one for 3 years now and like it so much I just got another Eureka..the Tetragon 7 three man tent.

For motorcycle camping, pick a tent that will give you lots of leftover inside room to keep your stuff dry while sleeping: i.e. for solo camping, pick at least a 2 person tent, for 2 person camping, pick a 3 person tent. You can't have too much interior room.

Rinty

This is perhaps the best advice I have heard on tents!! I travel alone and always take a two man tent with vestibule. Comes in hady on those rainy trips. Always choose a tent that is one size (person) more than will be using it!

can anyone suggest a good two man tent, that is compact to carry and easy to put up.

A similar Eureka model is the Pinnacle Pass except it has aluminum poles. The 2 person model of each of these packs small enought to tuck into my side case.

Eureka Apex 2TA

Eureka Apex 2TA This tent is the best. Two people and plenty of room. Best of all fits in my top case no problem.

REI Taj 3. Been using it for a couple of years and it has performed flawlessly in everything from rain to frost to heat. It was one of the tents to be unscathed by the Lima storm. I'm 6'4" and this tent is very nicely roomy for me (they call it a 3-person but let's be real here), and in clear weather you can leave the fly off and the mesh roof is sheer enough to be able to see the Milky Way. Plenty of inside pocket-space. The footprint and fly can be erected independently as a mini-shelter. Very well-vented. Elongated-hex-shaped base is easier than a rectangle to get a level spot of ground for. Was a bit pricey, but like a BMW motorcycle it's worth it.

http://www.rei.com/product/731430?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Our Mountain Hardwear Hammer Head 3 has survived another gully washer at the Big Buck GNCC races a couple weeks ago. HARD rain, wind and T storms and not a drop of H2O. Stormed so bad it totaly trashed a bunch of easy ups.

Lots of room for 2 with gear good venting and DRY

CAMPMOR HAMMERHEAD 3 ON SALE

They have a 2 person version but the extra 10sq ft is worth the slightly bigger packed size.

YMMV

I purchased a Eureka Performance Backpacking 2-person tent (Pinnacle Pass 2A) last year prior to my trip to the Vermont Rally. I wanted something that was very compact when stowed and fairly roomy when up...this tent does that. I really loved this tent. :thumb It was easy to put up and very well made for the money ($120). It came with aluminum poles rather than the fiberglass found on cheaper tents.

I would recommend that you also consider purchasing some sort of canopy. When I was at the rally, it would have been really nice to have had some shade/protection from elements...sun and occassional down-pour.

Good luck in your quest and safe riding!

The Eureka Timberline is very light, takes less than 10 minutes to put up and has plenty of room for one. It's called a two man, but two people would be crowded. I recently used it for a two day trip and was very pleased with it. It was only $99 from Campmor.com

I love it - we'll spend $25k for a motorcycle, but we're too cheap to pay over $200 for a decent tent! Too funny.

What do backpackers look for in a tent? Low weight? Strength and protection in adverse conditions? Flexibility for pitching the tent in less than ideal locations?

Seems these are the same qualities you'd want in a motorcycle tent...

So definitely check out the offerings from the various manufacturers of backpacking tents. The best brands are MSR, Mountain Hardware, The North Face, Black Diamond, and Sierra Designs. REI's house branded stuff is also well designed and constructed.

But if you can buy it at Wal-Mart, forget it. It will be too heavy, poorly constructed, and poorly designed. It won't come with sealed seams, a bathtub floor, or durable zippers and seams. Poles will likely be fiberglass instead of aluminum. It will likely die after one season of use. You want a tent you can abuse a bit - pitch it in dirt, let the wind try and knock it down, stuff it into a dusty sack and toss it in a side case. Spill coffee and bacon grease on it. It's your home away from home, so make sure it's dependable, useful and light.

Finally always set up your new tent for the first time in your back yard or in your living room. Never try to figure out how to set up your new tent at the end of a long day, in the rain, in the dark. Learn how to set up your tent in ideal conditions so you'll be ready to set it up in less-than-ideal conditions later.

I always set up my tent in the living room or back yard after a trip, so I can shake out all the dirt and dust, hose it off if need be, and pack it away in as large of a stuff sack as I can find so the material doesn't stay compressed when stored. You should also do this with your sleeping bag, down coat, etc. You can buy specialized storage sacks for tents and sleeping bags, or you can use large pillow cases. Whatever you use, make sure the fabric can breathe and isn't crumpled and smashed together when the tent/sleeping bag/jacket is stored.

I love it - we'll spend $25k for a motorcycle, but we're too cheap to pay over $200 for a decent tent! Too funny.

What do backpackers look for in a tent? Low weight? Strength and protection in adverse conditions? Flexibility for pitching the tent in less than ideal locations?

Seems these are the same qualities you'd want in a motorcycle tent...

That's why I recomended the Mountain Hardwear earlier. When it came time to replace our old North Face Big Frog (about 13 yrs old) I looked and looked. We are usually 2 up on the bike, backpacking or canoe camping and I have been spoiled by having a bombproof tent.

334544616_fc02e7e006_o.jpg

It's a couple years old now and has been through some very heavy weather. Never had a drop of water inside or and problem with high winds etc. Yes it is on the heavy side at around 9 pounds but the floor is 7'7" X 7'5" with a over 4' hight there is lots of room for both of us and our gear. Room is good while waiting out bad weather. Plus Campmor has them on sale for $269

That's why I recomended the Mountain Hardwear earlier. When it came time to replace our old North Face Big Frog (about 13 yrs old) I looked and looked. We are usually 2 up on the bike, backpacking or canoe camping and I have been spoiled by having a bombproof tent.

It's a couple years old now and has been through some very heavy weather. Never had a drop of water inside or and problem with high winds etc. Yes it is on the heavy side at around 9 pounds but the floor is 7'7" X 7'5" with a over 4' hight there is lots of room for both of us and our gear. Room is good while waiting out bad weather. Plus Campmor has them on sale for $269

My first backpacking tent (which I still use for solo trips) is an old The North Face. The equivalent today is their Tadpole model, which goes for around $230. It weighs a whopping five pounds. Super light, super durable, excellent ventilation and lots of room to stretch out and keep gear out of sight and out of the weather for one person. It's pretty tight for two people and all their gear.

For two people, or for the wife and I plus the 2 year old, I use a Mountain Hardware Trango 3.1. Yes, it's a $600+ tent. But - it's the same tent you'll see used at 26,000' at Camp IV on Mt. Everest. It's not just wind and storm-proof - it's jet-stream-high-altitude-blizzard-proof. Packed up, it's the size of a sleeping bag and weighs 10 pounds, but three people can comfortably hang out for extended times of bad weather with all their gear. The thing has doors at both ends and massive vestibules to keep your gear out of the rain and out of sight. It's tall enough inside that I can "stand up" on my knees, which makes getting dressed/undressed so much easier.

We also have an old REI 4 person dome dent that we use when we're camping in places where we don't want to use a fancy mountaineering tent - like camping at the Gorge Amphitheater in Eastern Washington. When the drunks start lighting off fireworks and stumbling around after a concert, you don't want burning embers or the intoxicated reveler landing on your fancy-pants tent!

I have never camped out before. I've lived out in the open without the benefits of a tent many years ago in the Army. This year I decided to try camping. With my wife's help, I chose a REI Quarter Dome. I did not want to spend too much money in case this would be a one time attempt. I chose a decent pad for my sleeping bag. But I bought a cheap sleeping bag for warmer weather. I'm not too keen on cold weather and I do not plan on camping in it.

During the process of choosing a tent I learned that a 2 person tent isn't. Neither is a three person tent, if you expect to put your gear in it. Also there are some incidentals to get, if you do not have, such as a light, not a flashlight, extra pegs and maybe a mallet, and a tarp for under the tent.

I decided on a tent that had two poles of equal length. Being new, I did not want to remember what went where in the dark after a long day or travel. Also, I chose a tent that attached to the poles with clips. I figured it was easier to set up.

Attachments

• REI_Qtr_Dome.jpg
    REI_Qtr_Dome.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 380
Didn't you have a bivouac during Basic Training?

I have never camped out before. I've lived out in the open without the benefits of a tent many years ago in the Army. This year I decided to try camping. With my wife's help, I chose a REI Quarter Dome. I did not want to spend too much money in case this would be a one time attempt. I chose a decent pad for my sleeping bag. But I bought a cheap sleeping bag for warmer weather. I'm not too keen on cold weather and I do not plan on camping in it.

During the process of choosing a tent I learned that a 2 person tent isn't. Neither is a three person tent, if you expect to put your gear in it. Also there are some incidentals to get, if you do not have, such as a light, not a flashlight, extra pegs and maybe a mallet, and a tarp for under the tent.

I decided on a tent that had two poles of equal length. Being new, I did not want to remember what went where in the dark after a long day or travel. Also, I chose a tent that attached to the poles with clips. I figured it was easier to set up.

Remember carrying that shelter-half and pitching it along w/another soldier's half?
And digging a trench around it after it was assembled to keep the running water OUT of it?Ah,Jan '71,just like yesterday.
I will do my 1st "camping" since the Army also when I get settled in Baja soon.
John

Back