Thread: Lowering an F700

Lowering an F700

Has anyone lowered an F700?
    I will be on the street only.
    How much was your drop?
    Any negatives?
    TIA,
    H
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Well since you do not seem to be inundated with responses, I'll offer my second hand knowledge. I ride with a fellow that rides a lowered 700. He is not an aggressive rider, stays under the speed limit and his off pavement riding is limited to well maintained dirt roads on bright sunny days. He is very happy with the 700. It is his first BMW and he is very pleased with the handling and, importantly, the ease with which he can mount and dismount the bike. His was factory lowered, but I think his experiences will carry over to a owner lowered bike.

Have you decided how you will lower it? I believe EPM Performance carries HyperPro lowering kits for all the F bikes. The ones I've seen entail changing the shock and fork springs; they run $300-400.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 03-04-2016 at 01:53 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I don't know the F700 suspension system but lowered my F800 by 2" with the Hyperpro system.
    The side-stand and center-stand needed to be shortened which wasn't a big deal.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Omega Man

I am beginning to think that you are stalking me
    I was out on my TW200 the other day.

I think you and I should talk. We are very much on the same page.
    H
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    I am beginning to think that you are stalking me
    I was out on my TW200 the other day.

I think you and I should talk. We are very much on the same page.
    H

If I was stalking you on the TW, you could probably just run away
    I did pick up an ATV seat pad for the beast.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I lowered my 2014 F700GS last year using Touratech's 30mm kit: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...F700GS-2013-on

Love it. It handles great, and I can now actually maneuver the bike around the parking lot using more than my toes. I ride mostly street with a little light Alaska off-road thrown in. I have had no clearance issues with the lowered suspension.

Get a lowered side stand to go with the lowering kit. My local shop told me I would not need one, however, the bike was very unstable when parked unless I could find a downsloping grade. I ordered the shorter side stand and this is no longer an issue.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kbass16 View Post
    I lowered my 2014 F700GS last year using Touratech's 30mm kit: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...F700GS-2013-on

Love it. It handles great, and I can now actually maneuver the bike around the parking lot using more than my toes. I ride mostly street with a little light Alaska off-road thrown in. I have had no clearance issues with the lowered suspension.

Get a lowered side stand to go with the lowering kit. My local shop told me I would not need one, however, the bike was very unstable when parked unless I could find a downsloping grade. I ordered the shorter side stand and this is no longer an issue.

Good luck!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Nice to hear how others have done the lowering. When I lowered the F800GS, I shortened both stands.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

How much was your drop?
    Any negatives?
    TIA,
    H
    I would price out how much it costs to lower vs going out and getting a lowered seat.

I'm a short little **** but I could ride a non lowered one with a low seat. Mine is lowered but I don't know if I really need it.

Pineapple in Waukesha has one he's selling already lowered if you don't want to dink around.
    Sharon - 2016 WI BMW Club Rally Co-chair
    #GSGiants
    2012 F650GS twin
    1973 R60/5

wanderer
    How much was your drop?
    Any negatives?
    TIA,
    H
    You can lower the front my just moving the forks up in the clamps. 20 minute job.

If you want to lower the rear, I would recommend finding(or buying new) the "low suspension" rear shock. I sold mine for $100....so that is not very expensive. New from BMW $$$...Wilbers is better

If you want to dramatically improve the F700 suspension buy a Wilbers "low suspension shock and spring tailored to your weight/riding style" It cost about $1000 but it is worth it. I did this. Adjustable hydraulic preload, fast and slow speed dampening adjustments.

You can also substantially improve your front suspension by dropping in Ricor's Intimidators. $150 it think. I did this too.

doing these things will mean you will want to shorten the side stand and center stand. Just have welder cut them down.

I have had a lot of hyperpro low kit implementations done on several models, including ESA... have always had good results and happy customers. Parts for front/back + labor generally runs $600-650. You will need to replace or modify stands. Low from the factory, including correct stands, is only $250.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

WI Sharon

Please PM me with Pineapple's contact info.
    I am interested in looking at the lowered F700.
    Do you know how many miles are on it?
    TIA