• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1988 K100LT Handlebar Rubber Mounts

gstom

The rubber mounts for the handlebars on my '88 K100LT seem to be getting "flabby" at 60,000 miles. I am looking for advice on regaining a firmer feel for the bars. My norml parts sources don't seem to carry replacement rubber dampers. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks for any tips. :dunno

I've got a K1100LT, had the same problem. Got replacement pieces from the dealer. Also check the Internet Riders, there is a fix that involves a trip to the hardware store for some washers. That also works pretty well. If you do find the rubber pieces and decide to replace them, find a little silicone grease or other silicone lube. It makes inserting them in the upper tree a whole lot easier. Also, if you go the washer route, use a little super-glue to glue the washers together. Good luck, I hope it helps. It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip

Manic, thanks for the tip. I checked out the IBMWR tech site article. I plan on giving that a try as it sounds cheap and simple. If I don't like the result, I can try replacing the parts.

Drop me a PM when you get it done, let me know how it went for you. My bars still had a little wiggle, but not like they were. My local dealer has offered to make some bushings from urethane if I'm really not happy.

Yahoo-No Wiggle

I tried the simple technique of installing an additional washer with a 5/8" ID by 1" OD at the bottom of the rubber grommet and tightening it up. It swelled the ruubber out enough to regain a firm, yet flexible feel to the bars.
Cost???? $0.40 plus one gashed knuckle
Time spent? 30 minutes
Woo Hoo thanks guys:clap

I did the washer thing a few years ago (1991 K100RS) the effect was quite noticable and positive. I was pleasantly surprised how responsive the bike became after making such a simple modification. We make a lot of subtle steering corrections without thinking about it, I suspect the (stock) rubber mounts absorb enough of those inputs that we have to compensate by putting that much more effort into each adjustment. (see the heavy bike myth thread)

BMW put those rubber donuts in to cancel out some of the notorious K-bike vibration. I have enough mileage on these bikes to be more or less immune to it, I also use cheap foam grips instead of the hard rubber ones that came with the bike.

Steve

Vibration

Hi guys :)
Just saying Hello From the UK. I searched vibration and got oilhead replies does this mean that brick riders in the US have no vibration problems ???
If you guys have found a secret cure Please share ;)
I have tried Bar end wieghts, Foam grips, relaxation techniques,Yes I do the shaking and the slapping and I have cruise control,I have been told that synchronising the throttle flaps is also helpful any thoughts on this or vibration generally
regards
Clive (K100LT 1990)

if it aint got a banjo then it aint bluegrass

Vibration? It's all relative

Greetings, Clive from the UK. I was surprised to see this thread I started come back to life. Vibration ,as a problem, may be more perception than anything. I did not think my "88 K100 had any vibration after I bought it, but then again It was a replacement for a 1952 rigid frame Harley panhead I had ridden for the previous 20 years. :p

Actually, I don't find the slightly buzzy vibration of my K to be annoying at all.

Back