• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Painting Chrome?

d_day_6

LDR Poseur!
I have some chrome pieces I want to paint. I assume I need prime them or prep the chrome so the paint won't flake and peel. Any words of wisdom will be appreciatred. Thanks.

Go to the nearest, good automotive paint store. I'm thinking that you could use an acid etchant and/or a special primer. OR.......clean with wax and grease remover, scuff with a rough scotchbright pad (mounted on a drill or angle grinder), primer and paint.
I had some chromed parts (that I wanted to paint) on a custom car I built. Rather than risk peeling paint at some point, I took the parts to a chrome shop and had them remove the chrome (un-apply?). When the parts came back they had a satin copper coating left over from the original chroming process. I primed and painted them the same color as the body. They lasted very well.

If you simply want to paint the chrome without removing it, then a thorough scuffing with a red scotchbrite pad (equivalent to approx P400 grit sandpaper), then either a good quality epoxy primer will work great or if you need simplicity then a good 2 component self-etching primer will work too, then followed by either a primer to fill imperfections (because you don't sand self-etch primers you treat them more as an adhesion promoter) or you can actually apply topcoat enamels over most self-etch primers (enamels can do this as the pigments do not photochronically stain with sunlight as basecoats pigments can as the acid leeches upward in the paint film).

A simpler and very cheap solution is a metal cleaner and metal treatment that is about as good as it gets and applies with a scotchbrite, dilutes with tap water and uses a water rinse. The total cost would be about $14 for both products and you would have enough to do quite a lot of work in the future with it too.

I don't want to plug shamelessly here so if you need to get some part numbers PM me otherwise a good jobber store in your area would carry several products that fit this criteria.

Thanks for the info......

Thanks for the tips....I should have the stuff locally, if not I will pm ya. Thanks again.

Dude, I just realized you screename "initials" are PPG. A clue? :brow

Anyway, this is a timely subject for me as I'm getting ready to paint the tank on my '69 scrambler, which is a chrome tank with red paint over the chrome to come up with a somewhat "toaster tank" look.

I made a big mistake when I disassembled prior to a resto, and if I had to do it all again I WOULDN'T strip the old paint off, just sand and prime. Now I'm faced with the same "painting chrome" dilema.

I'm sending you a pm.

Back