• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS on Airplane

Mach 1.48?

Hard to make out but I think that indication is in km/hr which would make it 700 mph.

Besides, that would be a ground speed, not airspeed.

The units are miles... just some bizarre fluke... honest, I wasn't traveling that fast officer!

The units are miles... just some bizarre fluke... honest, I wasn't traveling that fast officer!

I've seen that happen on my unit a few times.

It must happen when the unit momentarily loses lock and places you some distance away while still computing...so it sees you as having moved a great distance in a matter of seconds or a minute. And it being a "max hold" function, it stores the highest reading.

But I have a groundspeed of 1077 km/hr (669 mph) recorded on my GPS. Flying (east) from Montreal to London-Heathrow you get the jetstream in your favor, so a higher groundspeed.

Having flown for a living, I like to tinker while flying like get a revised ETA (unless they put you in a hold). I had this surprised look from the captain upon arrival at LHR when I asked him if were were heavy or what on takeoff. Rolling down 24R at YUL we didn't rotate till after the 10-28 intersection...and thats at the very very far end of 24R. I was wondering if we were going to be part of the terminal buildings. :)

"Your GPS has a local oscillator."

The Local oscillator in this case is not in the harmfull range to affect avionics.
Older cellphones in the 400 khz range, can affect older avionics such as localizer receivers...in a glass cockpit, as in the case of most modern Airlines, it is a moot point anyway.

You are correct, ask the F/A..she'll pass the querry along to the guys up front..we generally welcome such requests.I personally have always allowed passengers to use their GPS' onboard.

Last edited:
Well, I am back. No problem. I did not try to get a signal unless I was at a window seat...I got a signal, but it took some time. No problems from the crew (USAir). I just waited until we were told it is okay to use electronic devices. I was sitting next to my kids or alone so no one was right on top of me watching. It is fasinating to see where you are, the route you are flying, the towns and interstates, etc. Top speed was in a 757 @ 614 MPH. The top speed in the smaller jets was 441 MPH.

my Zumo works great!

zumo is quick to boot up even from a non-window seat and works flawlessly.

All airline aircraft have a minimum of two gps's up front. Also, for what it's worth, during my flying days I experimented with all types of phones and send/receive radios, transmitters etc. held against both the instrument and the RT units of my aircraft and was never able to get a tiny wiggle out of the needles during any phase of the unit's operation. On the other hand the older Tacans had a nasty habit of giving a 60 degree false lock on all by themselves.

Last edited:
Back