• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speaker Earplugs question

Paul_F

RK Ryder
I've been out for three good rides this spring, riding behind a quieter windshield than last year. I ordered custom made earplugs/speakers last summer at Burlington. They work well if I'm not moving. I hooked up with the the vendor again this winter at a bike show and he made new ear moulds, and then shipped me a new pair of custom earplugs/speakers. Compared to disposable earplugs, these custom made ones are next to useless and consequently the music is virtually non-existent. Am I expecting too much for these custom made ear plugs to block wind noise while providing music? On an all day ride, I'd like to be able to break parts of the day up with some music.

Cheap Plugs

I use cheap foam ear plugs from Fleet Farm. They cut out a lot of the annoying wind noise and allow the music to go right thru. I have a Baehr intercom system with the RT stereo tied into it. My flip up helmet is pretty noisy, but with the foam plugs i can hear the speakers very well. I also like to break up the ride with some music.

+1 on the ER6i. Custom earmolds might be more comfortable, but the seal isn't as good. I love the ER6i, but had to order the smaller foam inserts to fit my smaller ear canals.

I've been out for three good rides this spring, riding behind a quieter windshield than last year. I ordered custom made earplugs/speakers last summer at Burlington. They work well if I'm not moving. I hooked up with the the vendor again this winter at a bike show and he made new ear moulds, and then shipped me a new pair of custom earplugs/speakers. Compared to disposable earplugs, these custom made ones are next to useless and consequently the music is virtually non-existent. Am I expecting too much for these custom made ear plugs to block wind noise while providing music? On an all day ride, I'd like to be able to break parts of the day up with some music.

What kind of speaker/earplugs did you get? I have a set by E.A.R. and they work great. The foam type do seal a bit more noise, but the E.A.R. units do very well and the sound and music is very clear.

Without the benefit of seeing your mold and your ear, I would guess that your mold isn't deep enough. The area that needs to be reached in the ear canal is to, or just past, the 2nd bend of the ear canal.
Do you get a good seal from foam plugs?
When foam plugs are inserted in your ear are they almost flush with the canal opening? That is the depth neede to make a good noise seal.
Now there are other issues that could be contributing to your problem. Your helmet could be putting pressure on your ear and distorting it enough to break the seal.

What kind of speaker/earplugs did you get? I have a set by E.A.R. and they work great. The foam type do seal a bit more noise, but the E.A.R. units do very well and the sound and music is very clear.
My disposal earplugs are Laser Lite and they do an excellent job of eliminating wind noise. The custom earplugs/speakers were made by EAR-ific. The molds were made twice but they hardly qualify as earplugs.

Custom earmolds might be more comfortable, but the seal isn't as good.

I have to disagree with that. And add a disclaimer: Properly made custom molds are not only more comfortable, but seal better as well. It's all in the fit. I had to have mine done three times before they were correct, and I have to think that was more the tech than the process, at least in my case.

Another "tip" I've discovered. I wear my molds a LOT (6-10 hours a week, between flying and riding). When on the bike, I've found a little coating of lotion-type Neosporin not only makes the seal even better, but keeps my ears from discomfort.

I've found a little coating of lotion-type Neosporin not only makes the seal even better, but keeps my ears from discomfort.
+1

Audiologists and companies that sell hearing aids also sell lubricant products.

My experience with custom in-ear speakers from the Earplug Co. (no affiliation etc.) has been nothing but good. They are comfortable, they seal well, provide great hearing protection and great sound for audio devices.

For me they are essential especially for listening to music - I like it that I get great sound quality without having to crank up the volume.

I have some of the Etymotic ER6 earbuds. These do a great job of providing sound isolation - as good or better than regular earplugs. The sound quality is quite good also. The only drawback with the ER6 earbuds is comfort. Personally I find them becomming uncomfortable after an hour or so. The price of these is about $90. See:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3996991
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4060617

I have also tried some noise-cancelling earbuds. I have some made by Philips that work very good and are more comfortable (to me) than the ER6s. The Philips earbuds were less expensive also. I purchased mine from a computer store.
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0241232

Sony also has some Fontopia earbuds that I find comfortable and provide almost as much sound isolation as the ER6s. The price is about $25. See:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4035113

+2 on custom earphones, made properly, offering better sound isolation AND very superior music quality, over foam earplugs or off the shelf items such as the ER6i...which is quite good, by the way. The ER4p Etymotic is an astounding sound value, but has a hard bit that sticks out; your head has to be just the right shape or you'll hurt.

I had a set of molded phones made with a home kit (wife giggles as she squirts goo in your ear), but they didn't really seal well and both drivers went out in less than a year.

Next I tried the Etymotics, then talked the Westone people in Colorado in to letting me try their two best earphones. Do NOT try the dual driver phones, as you'll be disappointed in their single driver phone, which is the one they can make into a helmet-friendly mold. I went to a local audiologist, took two tries, but they're long enough now, there's NO wind noise, and the music sounds fantastic. The tradeoff is of course I can't hear traffic, which can be a danger. I have a pretty significant hearing loss in one ear. I don't ride without hearing protection, period.

Shop around a little bit to get the best price; some audiologists discount them.

I have Shure E3's and I use the yellow foam insert on the tip.. I find these to be the most comfortable of the 7 or so different inserts they supply.

I have to disagree with that. And add a disclaimer: Properly made custom molds are not only more comfortable, but seal better as well. It's all in the fit. I had to have mine done three times before they were correct, and I have to think that was more the tech than the process, at least in my case.

Great. Only two more attempts then...

grumble grumble...

+1

Audiologists and companies that sell hearing aids also sell lubricant products.

My experience with custom in-ear speakers from the Earplug Co. (no affiliation etc.) has been nothing but good. They are comfortable, they seal well, provide great hearing protection and great sound for audio devices.

For me they are essential especially for listening to music - I like it that I get great sound quality without having to crank up the volume.

Plus like 10.

I also have a pair of challengers which I can't live without. I wear them on the treadmill connected to the nyepod and the sound is wonderful. I use them on airplanes too. These are great example of a MC purchase that turned out wonderful for daily use off the bike too.

I use a little audioease (probably spelled wrong) for lubrication and they are all day comfortable.

I think your molds probably aren't correct. Come on out to West Bend and get custom fitted by the earplug co.

Earbuds

I have Shure E3's and I use the yellow foam insert on the tip.. I find these to be the most comfortable of the 7 or so different inserts they supply.

I agree. I have had no problems with my Shure E3c device which is accurately a pair of "canal buds," because they don't fit on my ear, but in the canal. Shure does not claim that they are noise-canceling, but sound-isolating, which means that they don't add any additional signals, just seal the ear. See

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/us_pa_E3c_content

here's a review for the etymotics. they rule. i use them on airplanes as well and they are better than foam plugs.

it took me one try to get the er6i's to fit perfectly and protect my hearing and bring me wonderful musical sounds.

great info. These are just what I've been looking for. However, I really need them for communicating when riding two up and the plug-in part, which seems fine for a standard audio unit, will not work with my 5 pin (?) connector of course. Does anyone know how I can adapt this? Maybe this is something which can be modified by good audio electronics person? Note: my hearing is not the best so when I have the regular helmet based speakers I find over 50 mph unmanagable. So, any suggestions? -Bob

earplugs

I tried the ER-6's for use with my radar detector, but they hurt like hell. I didn't try the lube. I'm ordering a HARD system now.

Rinty

I tried the ER-6's for use with my radar detector, but they hurt like hell. I didn't try the lube. I'm ordering a HARD system now.

There are some foam inserts that are smaller than those included with the ER6 and ER6i models. If you have small ear canals, like me, they make these things fit right. Order from Etymotic.

+ custom fit

++ on custom fit plugs. My earplugco challengers have provided excellent service for noise reduction and the ability to hear my radar detector. I had my impressions made by a local audiologist who took care to get a proper, deep mold.

Very shortly I'll have a report on how music sounds through them while riding. I recently overcame my case of shellout falter and bought a Zumo 450. MP3s here I come!

I've had sore ears due to two reasons: 1) all day riding without lubrication. Now I spread a dab of Aquaphor on the plugs in the morning before a long ride. 2) snagging the wire and disrupting the alignment inside the ear. It's still a challenge to properly secure the wires yet have enough free play to be able to move.

Back