• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where to get proper coolant

Hi,
BMW says to use coolant free of nitrites (NOT nitrAtes). I have had K-bikes since 1997 and have used Prestone, Wal-Mart's brand and Texaco anti-freeze, mixing them, as per BMW, to a ratio of 40% coolant and 60% distilled water. I haven't had any problems. The silicates problem came about in HONDA motorcycle engines, NOT BMW motorcycle engines. The silicates caused leaks with the Honda seals. They do not cause the same problem in BMW engines because the seals are of different types.

Any idea why nitrItes (I never said nitrAtes anyways) is bad? All I here are GOOD things such as preventing cavitation, which is always a good thing.
I mean other than BM says not to use coolant with nitrItes.
I thought I had hear that silicates act as a waterpump lubricant.
Gilly

I can't tell you how many engines I have torn down and rebuilt (1000's) but mixing the wrong kind of coolants is THE major cause of problems on otherwise adequately maintained engines. If you want to learn more about coolant visit www.bobistheoilguy.com. You can't just use anything off the shelf at the auto supply store.

If you're flushing, you're not mixing. The flat K bike engines are really an automotive type engine laying on its side. I used extended life automotive antifreeze with no problem at all. I have kept up with the bike and it is still OK after 11 or 12 years (sold it to a good friend).

Back