• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where to get proper coolant

BouncinBob

Encumbered by employment
I've tried to find the nitrate free coolant to avoid $24 gallon for the BMW version. Anybody now a chain of stores that may carry one?

Keeping Your Kool

Hi hope this helps :deal PepBoys,Car Qwest,Napa,Tractor Supply Any ford dealer, GM dealer but really check out A:stick :german VW dealer as well.:german .:laugh :laugh :D
Canada: Canadian Tire..:bottle :buds :buds :bikes
Mike Richard
VE3C
EH

Up the Revolution "Give back Maine":D

I've tried to find the nitrate free coolant to avoid $24 gallon for the BMW version. Anybody now a chain of stores that may carry one?

So it's true? The cheapest thing on (in) a BMW isn't the coolant, right?

:dance

I use this:

wp-motocool.jpg

Ready to use cooling liquid
Anti-corrosion and anti freeze,
Protection -35??C/-31??F
AOT Technology
Nitrite free / Amine free / Phosphate free / Borate free / Silicate free

MOTUL MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE is a racing cooling liquid, ready to use, based on monoethyleneglycol, using organic anti-corrosion additives to provide an outstanding protection to aluminium/magnesium alloys used by bike manufacturers on new engines design.

PERFORMANCES
Cooling system optimal protection from freezing and metallic parts from corrosion.
Specific anti-corrosion agents provides the best protection efficiency on aluminium/magnesium alloys ÔÇô according to a dynamic corrosion test performed on a bike radiator, MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE divides by 3 the corrosion rate compared to a common organic coolant.
Provides an excellent thermal exchange and then engine cooling efficiency and prevents from boiling.
This organic technology provides anti-corrosion properties that remain while high temperature and ageing. Low corrosion inhibitors consumption allows extended drain intervals. Water pump protection, avoid cavitation.
Seals, durits and plastic parts friendly.

Contains a bitterness agent to prevent from drinking : coolants and antifreezes have a sweet taste but are harmful.

RECOMMENDATIONS
Ready to use, do not add any water
Drain intervals : Refer to the manufacturers' recommendation.
Do not mix with non organic products.
This product should not be used to protect drinking water systems against freezing.

Because although BMW coolant is nitrate free, it's not silicate free. Prior to becoming a Motul dealer, I used Pentosin for the same reason and although it is more expensive in pre-mixed qts than un-mixed gallons, the quantities used on a bike make the quarts much more convenient, IMO.

YWMV

Why won't any anti-freeze/coolant that's designed for aluminum engines work?

Just in case you missed it:

...according to a dynamic corrosion test performed on a bike radiator, MOTOCOOL FACTORY LINE divides by 3 the corrosion rate compared to a common organic coolant.

bmw coolant

24 bucks a gallon? Which dealer?
I bought a gallon of the pure anti-freeze from the bmw dealer here in Minnesota. Moon Motors in Monticello. Cost me less than $14 bucks! Enough to last me for 2 changes unless I sell a quart of it off to my friend who bought my 85 K bike!
I had used prestone... however bmw antifreeze stopped the leakage problem in the 85 due to pitted shaft!
Getting more inclined to buy at bmw! I had purchased fork oil at the local aftermarket dealer here in St. Paul. 4.30 per pint....
Bought the bmw 7.5 weight for 8.00+ a quart!

take care

tim lindstrom
91k100 lt

Just in case you missed it:

What's the corrosion rate for $3 gallon coolant? Radiator life of 40 years?

So now you're getting 120 years (three times 40 years) out of your cooling system?

And it requires the use of $24/gal. coolant? Not sure it's worth the investment.

R bike owners are laughing at us K bike owners worrying about coolant.

Anti freeze

I have a 94 K1100Lt with 126k mi. and always used any kind of anti freeze designed for aluminum engines. I think the BMW special formula is a big sales pitch.

Czechmate

K Bike Coolant

I've got the same questions. Can we use Prestone long life (same formulation as Dexcool)? It is nitrate, phosphate, and silicate free. According to my Clymer manual, the BMW antifreeze contains silicates and other stuff not in the long life and the long life has things not in the BMW coolant. It sounds like the BMW coolant it is the old automobile two year antifreeze for a high price.

Does anybody actually know what is OK? It is way too far to run to a BMW dealer, not to mention the price.

The bib box auto stores typically carry the G05 and it's very good stuff for the alloy engines.

I can't tell you how many engines I have torn down and rebuilt (1000's) but mixing the wrong kind of coolants is THE major cause of problems on otherwise adequately maintained engines. If you want to learn more about coolant visit www.bobistheoilguy.com. You can't just use anything off the shelf at the auto supply store.

Mmmm, but you would WANT nitrites in it, so not nitrite-free is a good thing. right? Who says use nitrite-free coolant?
Gilly

Back