• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shuberth Helmet - Concept helmet -

a friend of mine is looking for a new helmet ( I have Arai -Renegade ) and wants to know if the Shuberth Concept is a good helmet.
Any comments, please.

Do they run small ???

He messured his circumference of his head and came up with 23 amd 1/4 is that something he can count on as a good fit ?

Pls advise.

Hans

They're a nice helmet...tight fit and a bit on the noisy side...if he wants a cheaper helmet HGC makes a nice flip front...If he's not to invested in the idea of a flip front I'd steer him away from the Schuberth...Don't get me wrong I love the helmet but, I'm torn between my Arai that I used to ride the Duc with and the new concept...Think I'd trade the ability to drink w/o taking the helmet off for a bit more quiet...but, it's all opinion anyway...

I like my Concept, though it's noisy. I read somewhere about somebody stuffing closed-cell foam into the slots where the straps come out to make it quieter, but I haven't tried that yet. If anybody wants to cut up a thermarest pad and send me some scraps to test, I'll try it. :)

They do seem to run small. I take a size L in most anything else, but wear an XL Schuberth.

If I had some extra $ lying around, I'd like to check out the new Jarow flip-up. It's also got an integral sun visor like the Concept, and is about $130 less.

I own a Schuberth Helmet and I believe that they run one full size smaller meaning if you would normally take a Large in the Schuberth you would need an XL.

Other than the sizing I have had no complaints. In fact I just changed the face shield for the first time and it was very easy to do.

shuberth helmet

Great helmet. It might run small or they just have more sizes. I usually take a large but with the Shuberth I take an XL. This is the most functional helmet I have ever owned. The shields positive stop are great, they keep it in place even at high speeds. The sun visor works like a charm. I don't need sunglasses on the brightest days. It is also the quietest helmet I have owned. It fits tight and is a little clastrophobic but that's alright it will stay on my head if I go down. Haven't given it a summer test. It might be hot. Good luck!

:dunno
I have an Arai Quantum/f that is really nice, except for putting on. I also have a Schuberth. The same thing regarding the size, large in the Arai, XL in Schuberth.

The Arai has quiter venting, but seems to be hotter in general. The Schuberth with the bottom gusset makes it next to impossible to fish in a drink tube, unless you come through the visor.
Opening vents on the Schuberth seems to always be a trade off between noise and air.
For cold weather riding, the Scheuberth gusset and more closed venting seems to be better.
In terms of buffeting, the Schuberth is less heavy and does not seem to take as much effort to hold the head still.
The flip down sun visor is also really nice.

Comfort wise to fit the head in the bucket, both are comfortable.

I guess if I had to do over again, I would probably have looked at other flip ups.

Your mileage and use may vary.

-=Brad

I have owned the Schuberth concept for over two years and 40,000 miles of riding. As far as comfort goes, mine is annoyingly uncomfortable. The chin strap area constantly rubs my neck raw due to the lack of padding and as far as noise issues, mine is like being in a turbine engine when the vents are open. Loud does not describe it and I wear 21 decibel reduction ear plugs! As far as the venting issue on this helmet, mine is non existent but, thank heavens Schuberth foresaw this problem and designed the face shield to pop forward for additional air circulation. You wonder why they did this? Ride in some heat and you will find out. Without this added feature, I would not be using this helmet in any heated conditions. Of course having to get air by popping the shield forward eliminates the seal of the shield in rainy conditions and adds to further visual impairment. Schuberth further claims better anti fogging with their vent design, I can honestly say that this claim is without valour. My helmet fogs with the minutest amount of moisture in the air, regardless if the vents are open or not. Has anyone found an anti-fogging agent that actually works?
Now for some good points. In my ownership of this helmet, I have replaced the shield once due to damage caused by my trip to Alaska (roads, what roads!). This shield took a massive impact from a big rock thrown by a semi-truck with unparalleled compromise of integrity. I am fortunate to have sight. Additionally, I can say that the optics of the shield is the best I have ever looked through and when the shield is clean, I often mistake it for being open (I wear glasses and have hit my hand on the shield when reaching to adjust them on the road), the optics are that good! The sun visor on this helmet should be a standard in all helmet designs! This feature was the major reason I bought the concept in the first place, a truly outstanding design!
Now, would I buy another Schuberth concept? My answer would be no. The innovative features are a plus and the quality of materials and workmanship is pretty good but, there are other helmets that do the job for a lot less $$. I have two older Nolan N100 models that are more comfortable and less noisy than the Schuberth. They also vent better! If you really want a great venting helmet, try the AGV X-Vent models, these helmets are the best!
Ok, so the Nolan's are not built with kevlar as the Schuberth (both are DOT rated for the same impact resistance), and their face shields are not as strong in design or optical clarity, plus, they are missing that ever so neat sun visor. With all this aside, I still purchased two Nolans for the price of one Schuberth and I can always wear a good set of polarized sun glasses with them. So you may ask why I continue to wear the Schuberth? For $400.00 plus I cannot afford to let it sit and collect dust.
I think I will check out the Jarow flip-up mentioned in a previous post. Anyone interested in purchasing a slightly used Schuberth? If I could get a couple of hundred plus for it I would consider it sold.

Dwayne.

What that Dwane guy said

Tiz the worst helmet I've ever owned. So noisy that my ears would not stop ring'n for days after cross'n Nevada and Utah, even with ear plugs in. Keep in mind I have a 1150 GS. A bike with good wind protection might be mucho better.

I dug out my 5 year old Shoie to wear again and the Shup sits in my closet only to come out on days I teach on the range.

I bought one and really hated it. I bought the largest one I could find, XXl, even though it fit tight in the store, in the hope that it would break in. It never did. It hurt my ears a lot. Very, very noisy; very heavy. Highly over rated. I do just fine with my Arai without the flip-up. The Schuberth flip-down sun-screen was nice, but no way worth suffering all the other deficiencies

too, too small

I wanted so very badly to love the Concept. I bought two sizes. I normally wear an XS helmet. I ordered an XS and an S. I kept the S. I could not stand to wear this helmet for any length of time. My head felt like it would explode under that pressure.

I borrowed someone's medium to try on and it was disgustingly loose! Course, this was a European model. Then I tried a U.S. version and it was the same. I honestly believe the European models are sized differently than the U.S., but they didn't work for me.

I now have a BMW System IV Elite. Fits perfect and it's super light.

I also have an Arai Quantum f in the stable, too. Beautiful helmet, beautiful fit.

Stacey

looks like a NO to Concept for me

First of all thank you all very much for answering and giving me your opinions. I do not like loud helmets. I do not like painful helmets. So that leaves me with a NO answer to the Shubert Concept helmet. I am glad I asked all of you and really feel glad you told me all you could tell me. I learned from your 'mistakes?' and maybe other folks that read this will think twice about buying the helmet just for the sunscreen. I will stick to my Arai and will advise my friend to keep on looking. Thank you for the tip on the MONO 2 by Jarow, Iwill try one on at the dealership.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all your input.

Hans

Re: looks like a NO to Concept for me

hansomat said:
Thanks again, I really appreciate all your input.

Hans

Indeed. I've got an Arai that's just about ready for replacement and the Schuberth was on my list of helmets to check out. After reading these comments, I think I'm going to buy another Arai, my fourth.

:thumb

Back