• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Choke Positions on /6

Won't lead you on with what I think, but I have cause to believe that I am wrong.

What is the 'full choke position' and what is the 'off choke position'?

On my R90/6 the choke is on when the lever is down, and the choke is off when the lever is up (parallel to the ground). Is your bike telling you something else???

Thx

BG,

Thanks, mine are the same. I read Clymer's and looked at the pictures, got a self-induced case of orientation vertigo and lost faith in what I thought I knew.

MC

Choke Position

Upon installing new choke cables, lubing, cleaning up the mechanism and reinstalling the airbox cover I noticed that now the choke lever will not stay in the full choke position (down). The springs on the chokes (enrichers?) pull the lever back into the unchoked position. When I start the engine, I must hold down the choke lever untill the engine is warmed up sufficiently to run unchoked. :dunno
I can't figure out how to tighten up the choke lever without removing the airbox cover again. Just a minor inconvenience but thought I'd share that in case someone had a quick fix.
:idea

Re: Choke Position

Fritz said:
Upon installing new choke cables, lubing, cleaning up the mechanism and reinstalling the airbox cover I noticed that ...

Also, make sure the choke wasn't accidentally spun to the open position with airbox handle in the off position. Possible to do with the cables disconnected. I can't remember the orientation without looking at a manual for the Bing.

Back