• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

wheel splines

donkey doctor

Hello; I had a flat rear tire late last summer, when I took the wheel off to repair it I noticed that the splines in the wheel seemed to be quite loose. Later in the year I replaced both tires, the mechanic told me that those splines are seriously in need of attention. Being the end of the season I asked him to just re-assemble the thing, and went on my way.

Now it's months later and the thought of those splines is haunting me.

Is there anything I can do without replacing the hub and input spline?

Has anyone else had this problem?

77 R 100/7 "S-ized" with 77,000 miles.

In my experience, no.

Those splines will need to be replaced one way or another. Whether it's by replacing or rebuilding the final drive is your choice.

When my RS used up its final drive splines, I bought a used final drive.

The spline on the rear drive can be welded and then machined to get good splines back on it. The wheel hub can be replaced. May as well get the rear drive resealed while your doing it.

Hello; I stopped in to my local BMW dealer yesterday, the parts alone come to about $580. The splines are on the other end of the crown gear. If I have to buy a crown gear I might as well get a new pinion gear as they should be a matched set. That'll put the price up still more.

does anyone have a less expensive way of solving this problem?

There are people that will take the crown gear spline and weld it up and remachine the spline. You may want to look in the BMW Owners News or On The Level to locate someone that does that now. You could also try checking Bob's BMW website. I believe he lists the price for this type of service. That's what I had done at Bob's BMW over ten years ago. I can't remember what the cost was.

Check with bob's BMW IN MD. or Speeds also in MD.

I had my R90/6 rear splines repaired , 96/97 . cost at that time was about $225. This included all new seals if bearing are needed I think they were extra.
Both bobs and Speed advertise in the BMWON.:bliss :bliss

Hey DD, did you get hooked up yet? Hope that the info you got made the difference. I think Brunos is in Canada, so no duty on the used stuff.

Hello; I went to RECYCLE today, he has a bit of BMW stuff but we searched and couldn't find the final drive. I "E"'d Bruno on Thursday, so far no reply. I'm not in a huge hurry, May is when I insure the bike.

Fixing Loose Splines

I have never have had the splines loosen as they are riverted very strongly. However I once had to replace a worn spline ring (sidecar use) and replace it. Using an angle grinder, grind bach the rivert heards and tap out using a drift. I then got stainless bolts with a shoulder that was a firm fit in teh original holes. Held in by nylock nuts on the ouside of the hub.

Still going strong 10 years on ! Hope this assits.

Wheel Splines

Very common problem....they can be re-created by skilled machinist...look for ads in MOA/RA mags; I had mine done a few years back by Thoroughbred I believe.

I believe most people have the drive spline repaired, the wheel hub will be more difficult, and expensive.

Once you have them rebuilt, grease splines EVERY time wheel is off!

Back