• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should I sell it?

mag00

I have been toying with the idea of parting with my beemer. Many reasons why and many reasons why not.

Ultimately I know it is my choice, but I guess I need pushing off the fence.

So summer is coming, new jap bike or fix old bmw?

If you sell it, you'll spend the next 20 years annoying people with the phrase "I should have never sold that old BMW" or "I wish I had held onto that GS"...it'd be better in the long run if you could manage to keep it AND get that second motorcycle.:thumb

Over the years I have made the mistake of selling things that I have spend time regretting. I wouldn't sell the BMW. If you want another bike then get another but keep the old one. I'm sure you won't find the new one as satisfying

I have been toying with the idea of parting with my beemer. Many reasons why and many reasons why not.

Ultimately I know it is my choice, but I guess I need pushing off the fence.

So summer is coming, new jap bike or fix old bmw?

I have both and am looking forward to riding both this year. That said, sell it and buy the new jap bike. You can always find another BMW down the line.

Both.

Fix the BMW and pick yourself up something a little more "modern".

True, you could sell it, and eventually pick up another one, but you know the old saying, "a bird in the hand..." Not to mention, if this is a bike you've owned for awhile, you know what you have, what it needs, etc. You may not be able to find what you want in the future.

I've regretted selling every single motorcycle that I've ever sold, and in most cases, I've sold to replace it with something new/different. Now, I've got 3 old motorcycles...that I may never part with. I just need a bigger garage. :violin

Well I have had 3 bmws, and only one was regretted selling, it was my 89 r100gs.

When opportunity came I replaced it with this 91r100gs. I like much about this bike, but I dislike things about that I shouldn't have to dislike at all. The repairs.

This thing has been the worst motorcycle I have ever owned when it comes to repears and maintenance. It won't run right. It has 30k and perfect compression, it should start and run perfect. Been to 3 dealers, and that only after I wasn't able to fine tune it myself.

The question then is do I spend my time and money fixing it? The gas mileage isn't that great, about 35 mpg. It is fairly wide, so whitelining in CA is a bit interesting.

On the other hand, there is no other bike that handles as well. There is no other bike that looks like the bumble bee. I am the biggest fan of the opposed twin aircooled engines.

I can't see just driving it into the ground and throwing it out. But to bring it up to par, will cost, and I don't really like the new bmw models. If I could pick up an r850gs I might think about that, but I haven't found one in the USA yet.

Some of the newer imports are quite nice. I haven't been out test riding yet, but really considering it. I don't really want anything huge, or one of the cafe race type. The BMW sit well for me.

It just really ticks me off that my low mileage BMW needs so much work. And now the cosmetic is needing attention too.:banghead

If it has been the worst bike you've ever owned, repair wise, then I'd sell it and find something that isn't. I wouldn't put up with something that couldn't be massaged into running right. There's lots of good stuff out there.

I love my R90S and I'll be keeping that bike, and selling my K bike (when it finally stops raining!). I'll be replacing my K bike with a Yamaha YZF600 sport bike (that I already have). Best of both worlds! ;)

Good luck!

I keep buying and selling bikes but somehow the airhead always stays and everytime I ride it, I remember why. You might not want your current airhead but you will always want an airhead of some kind.

yes
sell it right this minute
right now
Ill give you 50 bucks..................
seriously for me,,,,, Ill agree with many above.......you know the headaches and problems of that bike...... that right there can be worth thousands.....and maybe it is not what you want as far as a bike NOW......so if you can afford it...keep it and buy a jap bike if that is what you want
then when you want a classic design, ultimate cool bike, you still got your BMW in the garage and you can sell your rapidly depreciating common bike for a tank of gas or two

yes
sell it right this minute
right now
Ill give you 50 bucks..................
seriously for me,,,,, Ill agree with many above.......you know the headaches and problems of that bike...... that right there can be worth thousands.....and maybe it is not what you want as far as a bike NOW......so if you can afford it...keep it and buy a jap bike if that is what you want
then when you want a classic design, ultimate cool bike, you still got your BMW in the garage and you can sell your rapidly depreciating common bike for a tank of gas or two

Well I tought about buying one already depreciated. I can't really keep two bikes at the moment, and the GS is a time honored machine.

That and I have been a member of the moa for years and have an affinity toward the community.

One side of my brain says it is financially prudent to go other, but the other side loves the b'mer, and I am still on the fence.

Probably not the biggest task, but I have to fix the pushrod seals. How embarassing is it to leak? Well I have the parts purchase, and that is next.

Anyway, the paint is good yet, but the spoke nuts are rusted bad. Maybe I should just start a bmw bashing thread and get my gripes out. Not that I hate my bike, the contrary is true, but I hate that the quality is lacking in some areas.

And that being said, could I come to love another?

I started on japanese bikes, loved the chrome. Loved everything about them, then I drove a bmw r100/7 and was hooked.

Oh well, I am still torn, any other recomendations ?

Thanks all for the input :thumb

Well?

I'm in Clovis/CA, about a good day away from the far S.Cal areas and have a R100/7 for 30 years now. No sell for this one, as it has had its moments in my shop, I'd never sell it. I would like a really good Bumble Bee model, so call me if you sell. I want a fairly clean one, however, so let me know how yours is. If you keep it and can manage a trip north, I am certain I can have you smil'in again, with better fuel mpg's also. You have to spend a little more, but it will be worth it. Leave it here for a while at my house, or spend a day here with it in my home bike shop. The more time, the better. I can do the carbs and have low 40's for mileage, but this is a better part of a day alone. The seals are how old? I have fixes for these as well, depending on age of the seals. New ones are time consuming, too. If you are a good wrench/fabricator yourself, I can give some tips; The seals are proned to loosening and a design flaw, imo from the factory. These bikes get old, however, so one must expect some flaws with age! My seals are held in place with "copper tubes" over the original tubes... Cut three quarter inch copper tubing in half(split), in about 3 and a half inch lengths and these will fit snugly into place over the existing ones, using the fins on one side for bracing against the original ring that is supposed to hold the seals in place. This works extremely well and will hold the seals in place indefinately. More fabricating is required however to fit these properly. Angle file the ends that are to contact the inner cylinder fin, as you'll see the angle is required for proper seat of your copper half tubes. I simply wire the half tubes onto the existing tubes. They should fit as tightly as you can make them fit into place, so filing is required in slow fashion. A tight fit after you have pounded the seals down with BMW tool, of the new cover tubes is absolute for the seals to stay put. I works, be patient and make yours today,etc.. Copper is very soft and files easily; it also expands easily with heat, so the hot engine makes them even better and tighter against the seals. :D Happy Trails, Randy13233...

Keep it - it is a gem in the ruff!

My vote is to keep it, but that is because I regret selling my 93 R100R.
It sounds like that you are frustrated and angry with the maintenance. Well, no machine will last forever. The bike is almost 20 years old and nothing lasts forever, on any machine. I think that you have two choices here... 1. Sell it if you are tired of wrenching and you are okay taking your next bike to the dealer for big bucks maintenance. 2. You put your bike on a maintance schedule and you do it little by little. I often find that some people neglect the simple things, such as cleaning the carbs, changing fuel lines and filters, cleaning the electrics up and just good cleaning. I have seen a lot of Airheads in ill-repair, but if you do it little by little it does not seem so overwheelming and do-able.
I will be interested in a low mileage GS. You should have no problems selling it. Best of luck, hang in there...:thumb :wave

Fwiw

I have had several metric bikes some of them considered to be collectables. I have also had 3 BMW's. I have not missed anything but the BMW's. The 650 was my intro to BMW, sold it for a great R100GS. I sold the R100GS to a friend and picked up a R1200GS so that I could do two up riding with my daughter a little easier. I miss the 650 alot and I have had 3 people including the original owner interested in purchasing the R100GS, all are interested for nostalgic reasons.

All in all I don't really remember anything exceptional (other than guick off the line starts) about the other metric bikes, but each and every one of the BMW's has treated me to incredible riding adventures.

My vote would be to get a new cruiser if you think that is what you want, but keep the R100GS for at least 1 year just to make sure you really want a different bike.

should I sell it

Magoo:

Airheads are great bikes but they do require a lot of maintenance, and your machine is 1969 technology.

I had an '82 for 15 years, and when I moved into an oiler 2 years ago, the technology improvement was a real eye opener for me. I realized I should have bought one in '93 when they were introduced.

Clearly, your GS is bugging you, and you may find that your enjoyment of the sport is increased with a newer technology jap bike. They are building some great stuff.

Rinty

are you the original owner?

You can always get another bike, but are you the original owner?
That's the one thing money can't buy.
It's only bragging rights but I like to be able to say "I am the original owner".

There can be only one original owner.

Got another thought for you... When I bought my current ride over 3 years ago the owner also had a R1100GS. He had bought it new the year before that. He held on to his Airhead for a year to make sure that he liked it, before selling his Airhead. At that point he was in no rush to sell the bike, was able to find the right buyer and to make sure that he got money wise what he wanted. In the end it worked out for him and for me.
If you can, hold on to it, I can relate that money can be tight sometimes. In 1999 I sold a great Airhead to get with the new technology and bought an Oilhead. Big mistake for me. Yes, great technology, comfort, but it cost me a bundle... It left me stranded 3 times on the highway, something that I can't say for my Airheads or prior Jap bikes. I finally got smart, unloaded the Oilhead and was patient for several months until I found the Airhead that I liked.
On a positive note, you should not have any problems selling your GS, not now and not a year from now. Best of luck with your decision... Let us know what you come up with....

Thanks for all the kind replies. When I purchased this one I got it used to replace the one I bough "new", that I had to sell to make the house payment. This one is in fairly decent shape, but still requires what I consider to be excessive maintainance for a Beemer of this year and mileage. The trans has been updated with the higher fifth, but when that was done the input shaft wasn't re shimmed and shifting is rough at times. Not an emminent failure kindof thing but a pain.

Now I think I may have to go in and upgrade the front springs and seals, and I think the rear shock is going bad. 30,000 this is not good. My /7 had over 100,000 on it (not all by me) and never had this much trouble. Dealer says I must have a monday bike.

Well bearings made in africa, are not made in germany with the same exacting standards, thus much of the trans problems. Now the front end is suspect, and I will feel better with a full change of bearings all costing $$$.

Carbs were updated with the individual floats and all new parts 2 years ago. It was into 3 dealers and no fix. Brattens in San Diego says ignition can will fix it. I have a spare can I bought on ebay that may or may not be good.

I get just around 35 mpg. Heck a goldwing can get 50 I have met up with harley guys getting 50.

OK I love the torque, so some of my mileage goes there.

The seat is going to need to be recovered, I have a new windscreen, and then other than the rusty spoke nuts, a very clean bike.

Funny thing is I have the domain name davesbmw.com, and haven't even put a pic of my bike up yet. One reason for the post was hopefully to generate a bit of enthusiasm again so the maintanance and mileage thing would not sting so bad.

As I mentioned, the BMW community is just the best. That seems to be the spoiler. You guys have given honest and cheefull input, and I do appreciate that.

I quit riding it awhile back, but then when the gas went up in price I broke it out again. I was not real happy. I bought a new helmet and that made a world of difference in driving comfort. I had no idea, I had been using one of the full face shuberth bmw helmets, and that thing ripped my head off. I now have an open face and love it. Quieter and warmer :dunno

One more comment...

I've put significant $$$'s into both of my airheads. It seems many of the items you mention in your post are fairly typical of updates/repair/maintenance that many BMW's (especially airheads) require. And some of them, even if you're not real mechanically inclined, you could probably do yourself. Sure, it's a '91, but that means it's 16 years old. Maybe the previous owners weren't into meticulous maintenance and repair, so now you've got some things to deal with.

So, here's how I defended or rationalized my decision to put the money into the airheads. I weighed what it cost to get them completely up to par, vs. the price of a new/newer motorcycle (brand didn't matter, could be ANY brand, BMW, Honda, etc.) Quite frankly, I could've purchased a brand new, or fairly new/used motorcycle for the money that I've put into my airheads the past 4 years. You have to bear in mind that a used BMW is worth considerably more than a used Japanese motorcycle. So, now, I've got 2 '77's, in great shape mechanically, that I can pretty much ride anywhere. Am I truly ahead of the game financially? I'm not kidding myself, there's a lot of emotion involved here. It may have behooved me to not sink a bunch of money into 2 30 year old motorcycles. While the updates and repair may make these old bikes more sell-able, I certainly could not recover all of my costs. But then, who cares?

I'm ALWAYS looking to modernize my fleet. That'll probably happen in a couple of years, and it will probably mean the sale of 1 of the airheads. Oh well. What's my "modern" motorcycle going to be? I don't have the faintest idea.

Back