• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flip-Up Helmet Comparison

There are visors and visors. Schuberth Concept C-1 and C-2 (both the external and internal visors are interchangable, BTW - I bought a new external visor, for my C-1, in a Hein-Gericke store in Wiesbaden, Germany in December and it's marked for both helmets) use essentially a curved band of tinted plastic. There's only one curve, to match the top of the helmet opening's radius.

The S-1 and Caberg use a compound curve, closer to something you'd see in an aircraft helmet sun visor. The results are somewhat optically active (acts as a lens) although the intent is to be as close to neutral as possible. The S-1's sun visor is pretty good about this although there is some sort of subtle difference. The Caberg Solo I tried, however, was definitely more active and there was a distinct sense of shift of (visual) focus. I wear glasses (progressive bifocals) and even with them on, the effect was subtle but it was definitely there.

Functionally, the idea of an internal sun visor is, as I said, about the best idea since the pop-tab on a can. Wheeling down I-95 in full sun, there's plenty of protection. On entering Baltimore's Harbor Tunnel, all I have to do is flip the visor up and I have full, undimmed vision. Because the visor's internal, there's no concern about wear or dirt or dust contamination grinding on the clear visor (i.e., N-102). Removing the visors is a no-tools process.

I've heard that Scorpion is going to introduce a full-face helmet with an internal sun visor. At this point, the introduction has been pushed back to May, '07 instead of late March or April.

I checked out the new Shoei MultiTech at my dealer a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the lid. The dealer was selling the helmet for just under $500. I've subsequently found it available online for just under $400.

As soon as I have an "extra" $400 burning a hole in my wallet, I'll be replacing my old Shoei with a new MultiTech.

Helmets

+ 1 for the Caberg.I have worn it for the last 6k miles and it fits my head comfortably,tight enough not to slip backwards at speed and it doesn't squeeze my temples to give me a headache.I find the quality VG and have had no problems with water leaking past the visor. The built in sun visor mechanism is easy to use and the sun visor is internal and doesn't rattle or scratch.
Price was $300, less than half the priceof the Schuberth at my local BMW dealer. It is quieter than the HJC,my other flip. .IMHO it is wise to try on several different brands of helmet before making a choice.
Aerostitch Rider warehouse and Nicks BMW in Depere WI list the Caberg also.

Er, no joy with the Motorrad article - I take it they didn't review the Caberg Justissimo?

That one they didn't test. I don't know why. Maybe its been around for a while and was tested previously.

Now if Schuberth can only get its act together about having a US distributor...

Oh well Rick, I guess we'll just have to pick one up on our next trip over. Besides, its far cheaper...and no tax bringing it back. The last time, I also got the 16% MwSt back as well.

That one they didn't test. I don't know why. Maybe its been around for a while and was tested previously.
Odd. As you say, it may be old news. But then, the C-2 isn't that new.

Oh well Rick, I guess we'll just have to pick one up on our next trip over. Besides, its far cheaper...and no tax bringing it back. The last time, I also got the 16% MwSt back as well.

It depends... USD / Euro conversions hurt! :cry And the nice lady behind the counter at the Naspa bank laughs as she counts out the paltry stack of euros a huge stack of dollars buys... :banghead But, yeah, stripping off the value-added tax as you leave the country does help somewhat. :D

i was at the local everything shop today and i realized my only motivation to get a flip up helmet was gone, smoking:laugh

they make my head look larger than a standard full face, something i DONT need

burnzilla, don't you dare post that picutre

HJC Sy-Max

For a decent flip up, check out the HJC Sy-Max. Less than $200 and fits great. Keeps the rain out too.............

i was at the local everything shop today and i realized my only motivation to get a flip up helmet was gone, smoking:laugh
they make my head look larger than a standard full face, something i DONT need[...]

Er, check out my avatar here and on ST.N, and the caption below it there. Trust me, "larger" head is not an issue with these rascals. :laugh

agv Miglia

have tried many modulars Schuberth way to heavy horrible venting, HJC a close friend bought and when it started to come apart after a few months wear and HJC wouldn't do anything about it that turned me off. The AGV is light adjustable with cheek & top pads for more comfortable fit and around $200. Also shields are not to expensive to replace. Their XR models vent better but theis is a really well made helmet.

Ditto for www.helmetharbor.com in Gilbert, AZ. I've bought spares from them in the past. :thumb

However, going to the German Schuberth web site and trying to locate the US distributor still gives:
"USA

For further information please
contact our Sales Department
directly:

SCHUBERTH GmbH
Sales:
Rebenring 31a
38106 Braunschweig
Germany

Phone: +49 (531) 3 80 05-135
Fax: +49 (531) 3 80 05-180
E-mail: wachendorf@schuberth.de "

Last edited:
Flip-up Helmet comparison II

The Schubert helmet might be heavy. Like all Helmets...all are, I suppose worn behind the windshield which renders them ALL useless for venting. Even the best in the world will sweat, has poor or no venting. IF it is being worn above the windshield or fully exposed to the elements then you will appreciate the Schuberths weigh and its excellent venting as compared to the lightweights that will buff you crazy. Try lowering the windshield to its max and test them, you'll see!

+1 on where you and the air flow are. If the helmet is in totally still air, it's not going to be much fun.

One of the differences between the C-1 (sometimes just called the Concept) and the C-2 is how venting works. In the C-1, the chinbar has a chin scoop (that can be flipped open or mostly closed) that leads to a small vent that can be opened (air blows on your chin) or closed (air heads up towards the inside of the visor). Particularly in cool riding, it was easy to see the air flow worked. In the C-2, the chin scoop is still there, doesn't open quite as far, and there's only the visor vent.

The head scoop shape is different (the C-1's scoop is roughly triangular [see my avatar], while the C-2's scoop is retangular), too, but the real change is the channels for air flow inside the helmet. There are two front-to-back channels in the hard foam liner, on the side towards the wearer (as opposed to towards the helmet shell). The removable soft liner has a strap that is wider at one end than the other. The idea is to either block part of the air flow (for winter use) or to flip the strap around, so the wide part doesn't block the vent, for summer use. So far... :thumb Works for me!

The C-1 and C-2 seem to rely on positive pressure (that is, cramming air into the helmet) while the S-1 (full face) seems to count on both exhaust and ramming to move air in the helmet. :dunno Doesn't seem to work as well for me.

It depends... USD / Euro conversions hurt! :cry But, yeah, stripping off the value-added tax as you leave the country does help somewhat. :D

Might as well post some Euro prices:

Caberg Rhyno (at Louis): Ôé¼150,
Caberg Justissimo (at Louis): Ôé¼260,
Nolan N102 Classic (at Louis): Ôé¼285,
Schuberth Concept (at Louis on sale): Ôé¼279 (solid), Ôé¼299 (metallic),
Schuberth Concept 2 (at Louis): Ôé¼399 (solid), Ôé¼419 (metallic), Ôé¼449 (multi color/decor).

To get US pricing, divide by 1.16 then multiply the result by 1.35. A Schuberth Concept in metallic would run just under US$350.

Those of you happy with your Caberg, can you comment on what other brands you find comfortable. I'm wondering if they are good for Shoei heads.
I love my Shoei for comfort, but it's the nosiest helmet I've ever had.

Those of you happy with your Caberg, can you comment on what other brands you find comfortable. I'm wondering if they are good for Shoei heads.
I love my Shoei for comfort, but it's the nosiest helmet I've ever had.

I love my Nolan.

All day comfort, good venting, great visibility compared to the Caberg and much quieter than the Caberg.. I do miss the internal visor, but it's worth the trade off to me.:wave

Gail, I think you've hit a key point: fit. A helmet can have all manner of good features, but if it doesn't fit, the features aren't going to help much. It's unfortunate that most dealers, in effect, stuff you into a helmet, yank it around a bit, and declare the fitting done. I've tried at least standing around for a while with a helmet on, in hopes some "hot spots" or pressure points would either suggest themselves (or not). Better than nothing, I guess, but not by much. And that does nothing for how a helmet handles noise.

In the list of sources for helmet, Alex mentioned Louis, a large German chain of after-market motorcycle gear. One of the Berlin stores has a bike strapped down in a wind tunnel of sorts, so you can at least sit on a bike and get some idea of how it sounds while riding. If anyone else does this, I have yet to hear about it.

Buying a helmet becomes, too often a $200-$600 dollar gamble that you'll like it. If you don't, there's not much hope for getting your money back. :(

Back