• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggested Route to Rally

Re: Route from South Bend, IN to Rally

BradfordBenn said:
The part I am most worried about is around Chicago.

Chicago is awful, but I've found that I'm actually given more space and respect on a motorcycle than on four wheels.

If you can go through in the middle of the night or very early (before 6:00am), it is a relative piece of cake.

Taking 294 will guarantee at least 7 stops for tolls. I usually enjoy going thru downtown, doing battle with the rush, and often doing 70-ish through The Loop. Just go with the flow, maybe just a little faster than traffic, always try to keep a way out, and keep your eyes open. I've had worse problems going through Smalltown, USA. Being apprehensive is fine, seeing as you've never gone there. Don't be too scared, otherwise you'll have problems. You can do it! See ya at the beer tent again!

manic mechanic said:
Taking 294 will guarantee at least 7 stops for tolls. I usually enjoy going thru downtown

The traffic is just as bad on 294 as it is on 94 and the tolls will slow you down, so for me, 294 offers no advantage. Like manic mechanic, I prefer heading directly into the belly of the beast.

The only time I've done 70ish throught the loop is at about 4am. I also like the express lanes if they're open.

Danks!

Yup no matter how it is sliced Chicago is hard. I spent a few weeks commuting to Soldier Field so I am well aware of the fun of Chicago, just never on Motorcycle.

Back