• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggested Route to Rally

rapz

My wife and I plan to ride up (two up) from South Texas to Spokane, any recommendations on scenic routes and how much time each takes based on my normal riding schedule of about 300 miles per day?:brow

I can map out a sort of rough itinerary, but how long it will take depends on you.

• Carlsbad Caverns, NM
  • Grand Canyon
  • Las Vegas - AC and rest stop
  • Yosemite
  • Hwy. 1 north of Los Angeles
  • Avenue of the Giants, south of Eureka, CA
  • Crater Lake, OR
  • Columbia River Gorge, Oregon and Washington Border

I'd put a couple of those items on the list. Where in South Texas are you? My dad's in Port Isabel.

I'm in Mission, TX. It's about 65 miles upriver (Rio Grande) from Port Isabel. Major Hwy is 281 going up to San Antonio. I'm thinking of going up to SA, west to El Paso, north to Denver, etc.:brow

rapz said:
I'm in Mission, TX. It's about 65 miles upriver (Rio Grande) from Port Isabel. Major Hwy is 281 going up to San Antonio. I'm thinking of going up to SA, west to El Paso, north to Denver, etc.:brow

Ah. Probably cooler that way. Have you been to Utah? I still say that mile for mile, Utah has the best scenery in the whole country. The southern end of that state is absolutely spectacular.

Don't forget the Rockies in Colorado! I just went over the Million Dollar Highway (US550) and through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Great scenery, incredible roads. I hear there' s more, too. ;-)

What's Hwy 550 like? I've only been on the main Interstate which goes from El Paso to Denver.

Unregistered said:
What's Hwy 550 like? I've only been on the main Interstate which goes from El Paso to Denver.

The stretch between Durango and Ouray is one of the most scenic roads in the country.

00127.jpg

WOW pic!

Killer picture, KBasa. Could have been Alaska! I'm going to have to really plan the run of SW MI <-> Spokane for National. Gotta see how much time I can take off & include these paths.

Re: WOW pic!

CustomSarge said:
Killer picture, KBasa. Could have been Alaska! I'm going to have to really plan the run of SW MI <-> Spokane for National. Gotta see how much time I can take off & include these paths.

I can't take any credit for it, Google had it.

Route from South Bend, IN to Rally

Hello gang:

I am in the process of planning the route and vacation time for the rally. This is what I came up with, anyone have any comments or improvements? I am working on the return path as well with the goal being to not just return on the same roads.
Routing
DAY 1
*Toll road* Merge onto I-80 [I-90] (South-West)
*Toll road* Continue (West) on I-90 [Indiana East-West Toll Rd]
*Toll road* Continue (West) on I-80 [I-90]
At I-80 Exit 21, turn off onto Ramp
*Toll road* Continue (West) on I-294 [I-80]
*Toll road* Bear RIGHT (North-West) onto I-39 [I-90]
Stay on I-39 [I-90] (North)
At I-94 Exit 108, continue (North) on I-90 [I-94]
At I-94 Exit 70, turn off onto Ramp
Continue (North-West) on US-53
Continue (West) on US-2 [US-53]
Merge onto I-35 S [US-2] (South-West)
At I-35 S SR-23 Exit, turn off onto Ramp
Merge onto SR-23 [Grand Ave] (North-East)
Arrive AeroStich RiderWearhouse [8 S 18th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806]:clap
End of day

DAY 2
Depart AeroStich RiderWearhouse [8 S 18th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806] on SR-23 [W Superior St] (North-East)
Merge onto I-35 S [US-61] (South-West)
Merge onto SR-210 [HWY-210] (West)
Turn LEFT (South) onto US-169 [SR-210]
Continue (West) on SR-210 [2nd St NW]
Continue (West) on CR-82 [E Vernon Ave]
Turn LEFT (West) onto SR-210 [W Lincoln Ave]
Merge onto I-94 [US-52] (North)
Entering North Dakota
Entering Montana

DAY 3
Stay on I-94
Entering Idaho
Entering Washington
At I-90 Exit 285, turn off onto Ramp
Bear RIGHT (West) onto E Sprague Ave
Turn RIGHT (North) onto N Havana St
Continue (North) on Spokane I Fairgrounds [N Havana St]
Arrive Rally 2004 [404 N Havana St, Spokane, WA 99202]

SUMMARY
Driving distance: 1993.0 miles
Trip duration: 2 days, 8 hours, 35 minutes
Driving time: 32 hours, 36 minutes
Click for larger image
The part I am most worried about is around Chicago.

Re: Route from South Bend, IN to Rally

BradfordBenn said:
Hello gang:

The part I am most worried about is around Chicago.

BTDT.

It's probably worth getting up early enough to miss all the traffic. Tina rode with us from Boston to SF her rookie year of riding and Chicago was where I was adamant she ride right off my saddlebag.

dave

KBasa said:
I can map out a sort of rough itinerary, but how long it will take depends on you.

• Carlsbad Caverns, NM
  • Grand Canyon
  • Las Vegas - AC and rest stop
  • Yosemite
  • Hwy. 1 north of Los Angeles
  • Avenue of the Giants, south of Eureka, CA
  • Crater Lake, OR
  • Columbia River Gorge, Oregon and Washington Border

I'd put a couple of those items on the list. Where in South Texas are you? My dad's in Port Isabel.

Myself, I'd do that route on the way home. (That way you can't lose ALL your money in Vegas!:) )Can't speak to the southern portion of your trip, but once you get in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't miss:
Taos
64/84 to Pagosa Springs
160//666 to the four corners
191/40 to Heber City through Moab.
150 to Evanston, Wy (DON'T take the freeway, you'll miss one of the best roads in America)
89 North through Yellowstone (or side trip to Ketchum and Sun Valley including craters of the moon NP)
Past Yellowstone 89 North gets you to THE MOTHER ROAD- Hwy 12 and the Lolo Pass (Townsend is a cool place to stay)
From there resist the urge to blast up 195 to Spokane and take 3/8/97 through Bovill and St. Maries past Lake Cour d'Alene. (Save PLENTY of cornering power for those last few miles. Much like a populated 129 (The Dragon)
Then you've got a nice little freeway cruise into Spokane to catch your breath!

All this assumes you have plenty of time to get there. If you don't, I'd suggest you find it. Two more days and your trip will be ten times better. And if you want any more specifics, feel free to pm me. With very few exceptions, I've been on every road betweeen I-15 and I-25 and I-80 and I-40 at least once. IMHO, the 500 mile radius around the four corners has more good MC roads than anywhere in the country.

Bradford says:

Routing
DAY 1
*Toll road* Merge onto I-80 [I-90] (South-West)
*Toll road* Continue (West) on I-90 [Indiana East-West Toll Rd]
*Toll road* Continue (West) on I-80 [I-90]
At I-80 Exit 21, turn off onto Ramp
*Toll road* Continue (West) on I-294 [I-80]
*Toll road* Bear RIGHT (North-West) onto I-39 [I-90]
Stay on I-39 [I-90] (North)
At I-94 Exit 108, continue (North) on I-90 [I-94]
At I-94 Exit 70, turn off onto Ramp
Continue (North-West) on US-53
Continue (West) on US-2 [US-53]
Merge onto I-35 S [US-2] (South-West)
At I-35 S SR-23 Exit, turn off onto Ramp
Merge onto SR-23 [Grand Ave] (North-East)
Arrive AeroStich RiderWearhouse [8 S 18th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806]
End of day

DAY 2
Depart AeroStich RiderWearhouse [8 S 18th Ave W, Duluth, MN 55806] on SR-23 [W Superior St] (North-East)
Merge onto I-35 S [US-61] (South-West)
Merge onto SR-210 [HWY-210] (West)
Turn LEFT (South) onto US-169 [SR-210]
Continue (West) on SR-210 [2nd St NW]
Continue (West) on CR-82 [E Vernon Ave]
Turn LEFT (West) onto SR-210 [W Lincoln Ave]
Merge onto I-94 [US-52] (North)
Entering North Dakota
Entering Montana

DAY 3
Stay on I-94
Entering Idaho
Entering Washington
At I-90 Exit 285, turn off onto Ramp
Bear RIGHT (West) onto E Sprague Ave
Turn RIGHT (North) onto N Havana St
Continue (North) on Spokane I Fairgrounds [N Havana St]
Arrive Rally 2004 [404 N Havana St, Spokane, WA 99202]

I say:

The only thing that concerns me is what rest areas will you be merging into. You just don't have enough details, how can you make such an unorganized trip??

Re: Re: Route from South Bend, IN to Rally

KBasa said:
BTDT.

It's probably worth getting up early enough to miss all the traffic. Tina rode with us from Boston to SF her rookie year of riding and Chicago was where I was adamant she ride right off my saddlebag.

dave

I agree. My folks used to live in Rockford IL, west of Chicago and all I remember is that the traffic is a zoo between 6 AM-8 AM and around noon(lunch) and again at 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM.
These times are a general guidelines only but traffic is better outside these times.

Unregistered said:
The only thing that concerns me is what rest areas will you be merging into. You just don't have enough details, how can you make such an unorganized trip??

Well once I get the basic route down, I shall complete the indepth routing with hourly goals and check points :p

Suggested Route To Rally

I like David's (476) suggestion through Taos. Do any of those roads take you through Durango? Thanks for the suggestions.:brow

Rapz -- Check this out

Depending on how many days you want to ride to/from Spokane, you must not miss the following:

Day 1:
South Texas to Santa Fe, NM - should be able to make it from South Texas to Santa Fe pretty easily. I ride from Dallas to Santa Fe all the time. If you want the best hotel in Santa Fe, stay a the Inn at Loretto or Bishops Lodge. Make sure you take Bishops Lodge Road out of Santa Fe (avoid the traffic and have a nice easy drive).

Day 2:
Santa Fe, NM to Vernal, UT - should be able to make it from Santa Fe, NM to Vernal, UT if you watch your time and stops. Head up US 84 out of Santa Fe (Bishops Lodge Road intersects US 84 in Tesuque). Keep heading up to Chama, then cut across to Pagosa Springs. Then head to US 550 (Million Dollar Highway) via Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Montrose, Delta, Grand Junction. Then head up to Dinosaur and Vernal. Get a good night's sleep in Vernal, because you are in for a real treat the next morning.

Better yet, just head from Santa Fe to the Top o' the Rockies Rally in Paonia, CO and spend a couple days there. ToTR is the BEST CAMPING RALLY AROUND!!! PERIOD. Anyone who disagrees just doesn't understand. :p

Day 3: Vernal, UT to West Yellowstone, MT - This will be a short day, enough to get a leisurely couple hours at Yellowstone Lodge and get to see Old Faithful. Start in Vernal and head up US 191 - Have fun on the 13 switchbacks just north of town. Then cut over on UT 43 and 44 and head up the west edge of the Flaming Gorge to Green River. Then head north on US 191 through Farson, WY (make sure to stop for Ice Cream). Then head up to Jackson, WY and Yellowstone. If you leave Vernal by 8am, you will be in Yellowstone by 2pm. Ride through the park a little bit and then make it to West Yellowstone, MT. If you have extra time, this is definitely worth spending an extra day running around.

2DCP_0134-med.JPG

2DCP_0142-med.JPG

2DCP_0144-med.JPG

Day 4: West Yellowstone, MT to Spokane, WA - Just head up US 287 and catch the freeway. Freeways in Montana are NOTHING like the are in Texas. Just be sure to get off in Missoula and head down to US 12 from Lolo Pass to Clarkston, WA. You can slab it up to Spokane from Clarkston. US 12 is where that sign that says "twisty roads for next 77 miles" can be found. AWESOME.

2DCP_0145-med.JPG

Back