• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Illinois Beach State Park

testinglogin

Hogaan!
Does anyone have any information/experience with Illinois Beach State Park? I'm thinking about spending a night there on my way to the rally (I know it's close to the rally site, but I'm not showing up on Tuesday at 10pm).

Is it a nice place? How are the facilities? OR, do you have something close to that location that would be even better? It seems to be popular and appears pretty nice. PLUS, I can travel on some of Wisconsin's "Rustic Roads" on my way to the rally site. :thumb

http://dnr.state.il.us/LANDS/Landmgt/PARKS/R2/ILBEACH.HTM

Decide for yourself. It's just a beach IMHO.

Did anyone mention that it's a stones throw away from Zion Nuclear Power Station?

That's the site I found most of my info. They have a map on there that shows a fair number of campsites. I'm just looking for an overnight thing.

As for the nuclear power station, I'm not bothered. I live less than an hour from two. Davis Besse is the station that had recently was found to have acid eating into the reactor head, and a thin sheet of stainless was the only thing keeping in a reactor breach. Now repaired. The other is Fermi II. Fermi I (same site) had a "partial meltdown" in the late 60's. For me, being near only one is an improvement. :heh

That's the site I found most of my info. They have a map on there that shows a fair number of campsites. I'm just looking for an overnight thing.

As for the nuclear power station, I'm not bothered. I live less than an hour from two. Davis Besse is the station that had recently was found to have acid eating into the reactor head, and a thin sheet of stainless was the only thing keeping in a reactor breach. Now repaired. The other is Fermi II. Fermi I (same site) had a "partial meltdown" in the late 60's. For me, being near only one is an improvement. :heh

:laugh
Cool. Just thought I'd throw that out in case it might be a concern. Lived in northern Illinois all my life. Spent many summers in what is now know as Beach Park as a teenager (was then rural Lake County northeast of Waukegan, which is the next town south of Zion/Winthrop Harbor). I can think of worse places to camp but I didn't want you to get all excited because in my mind, it's just a beach, nothing spectacular. Close to the Rally site? Yes, relative to Toledo I guess it is but you'll still have a 2 hr plus ride to the Rally.

Myself, I'm going to head west from Glen Ellyn first, then swing north and work my way into West Bend from the west. I do not want to do the slab. I think Sheridan Road runs way up into Wisconsin, it runs along the lake and is a nice drive but don't count on making time.

:laugh
Cool. Just thought I'd throw that out in case it might be a concern. Lived in northern Illinois all my life. Spent many summers in what is now know as Beach Park as a teenager (was then rural Lake County northeast of Waukegan, which is the next town south of Zion/Winthrop Harbor). I can think of worse places to camp but I didn't want you to get all excited because in my mind, it's just a beach, nothing spectacular. Close to the Rally site? Yes, relative to Toledo I guess it is but you'll still have a 2 hr plus ride to the Rally.

Myself, I'm going to head west from Glen Ellyn first, then swing north and work my way into West Bend from the west. I do not want to do the slab. I think Sheridan Road runs way up into Wisconsin, it runs along the lake and is a nice drive but don't count on making time.

I decided there was no reason to stay in Toledo overnight before starting my trip, so I'm just going to leave from work on Tuesday. That should help get me through Chicago in a "lighter traffic" time. Traffic isn't a big concern, but it will still be nice to miss rush hour. All in all, I should get to IBSP just in time to setup before it gets dark. That can be followed by nice riding the next day, before arriving at the rally (volunteering!). Tuesday should be my longest day on the slab, for my whole 15 day trip. :thumb

Me, too

We travelled through the same area two weeks ago and noticed the Bong State Park sign. I did one of those cartoon double-takes, had a chuckle, and wondered how many will be staying there for the rally.

Muscatine, Iowa, has Weed Park. It was a favorite location for senior skip day when I was in high school.

DR

I grew up North of that area. Whenever we drove by we'd always joke about it. It is a pretty area. If you can ride another hour or so North of where you planned on it would be a nice place to camp

Back