• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spark Plug Life

DARKCLOUD

Has anyone ran their plugs longer than the 12,000 mile change interval?

Can spark plugs be checked to see if they are good?

Are the twin sparks four spark plugs all the same?

Thanks, Dark Cloud

If you have one of the haynes manuals it will show you what the plugs should look like. As far as the +2 or +4 plugs go, I think it is a bunch of hooey. The spark is going to follow the easiest path from the electrode to ground. It will pic just one and not all 4 or both as they want you to believe. I found my bike runs the best on autolite plugs, and they are way cheaper than the bosch plugs. IBMWR has a listing of appropriate heat ranges for your bike.

Steve, have you had to regap your plugs? Has there been any change in gas mileage?

If an engine is hard on the plugs, shouldn't it be hard on the plug wires? I haven't seen a thread on anyone changing their plug wires.

JON

bmwterrien said:
Dark Cloud-

I have nearly 27k on my original plugs and they are fine.

Steve
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

What bike? The k-bikes seem to be kinder to plugs than the oilheads.

UV rays from the sun, and crap thrown up from the roads are much harder on plug wires than the electric current going through them. You have to remember that a Spark plug is subject to tremendous heat and pressure, the potential of fuel and oil fouling it. Not to mention carbon deposits. The plug wires should last for years, I wouldnt worry about them at all.

What bike? The k-bikes seem to be kinder to plugs than the oilheads

It is an 04 GS. I figure that other than oil/filter, tires, and valve adj, one shouldn't have to fiddle with it for a year or so. Hey, its got wear on everything from day one! If I wanted to fiddle with something, I 'd be riding my R90S on a daily basis.

Cheers,
Steve

Dark Cloud said:
Are the twin sparks four spark plugs all the same?

On my 2003 R1150 GS Adventure, the main sparks plugs are NGK (didn't jot down the numbers) and the lower spark plugs are BOSCH YR6LDE.

The spark plugs are different. The main plugs are 14 mm from what I remember and the lower plugs are 12mm. All have a 3/4" reach.

I removed them during the first inspection to check their condition and to apply anti-seize compound to the threads.

Plugs will last far longer than their recommended service intervals if the engine is in proper running order.

Spark plug life

I could easily go over 12,000 mi but the Autolites are afforable enough so I change at every valve adjustment. My R1100GS ran noticeably better with the Autolites. The R1150R does not surge enough for me to notice a differance.

I believe the recommended replacement interval for oilhead plugs is 24,000. How do they look at that point? Given the low cost, is there any benefit to an earlier replacement?

Don't know if there is any benifit. Since I quit smoking I have some extra dough to spend on motorcycle stuff. And in my mechanical ineptness even I don't screw up plug changing. Makes me feel like I am doing something good for my bike. Kinda like giving the dog a scoobie snack , just because?
SCOTT

I had 28,000 miles on the plugs in my K1100lt and changed them to some NGK's which got worse mileage, I only ran them about 8000 miles and went back to the stock bosch plugs. I think I'll run these another 28,000 miles. oh yea the mileage went back up.

Dark Cloud axed: If an engine is hard on the plugs, shouldn't it be hard on the plug wires?
CLEARLY Dark Cloud needs a primer on how a motorcycle engine works. Henry "Credible" Pasternack has written a GREAT one. If you do nothing else, read the second to the last paragraph. This is classic internet moto-literature.

I was down at the local dealer getting some recall work done on my new Rockster, and I thought that a set of spare plugs would be handy to have....

first the parts guys said those last for years,

my reply was: if I have a set, gapped, anti-siezed and ready to go under my seat, I am sure not to need them

then he said: good thinking, but out of stock....

what is odds that a local auto parts store will have the lower plug available? where else is it used?

Howard

hetkind said:
what is odds that a local auto parts store will have the lower plug available? where else is it used?

Howard

Got a part number? Most autoparts stores have a cross ref that will give some suggestions for substitutions. The dealer will only sell you the exact plug specified by the service manual - probably Bosch.

Even more interesting to ponder...how many people actually believed it? But then that was the author's point, and yours, too I assume. ROTFLMAO. Cheers.

CM

Does anyone know if BRISK performance spark plugs are good for R1150R Rockster?

I am considering new plugs for two of my 2004 R1150R Rocksters and I am trying to figure out what is best. I have looked at Bosh, NGK, Champion, Autolite, & Brisk Performance plugs.

But I'm really considering Brisk because it says;

INCREASES ENGINE POWER!
BRISK PREMIUM Sparking plugs New!
Better ignition, longer life !
Content: 2+2 pieces
BRISK:
2x BOR12LGS + 2x DOR14IR
Long Life:
max. 20 000 mile

BMW
Dyno Chart
R1200GS with 4x BOR12LGS
about + 4-5 HP improvement.

"Brisk Premium LGS spark plug has been developed after two-year cooperation with Lamborghini Morori Marini. This spark plug utilizes extremely long glide-spark and massive integrated side electrode. Massive integrated side electrode ensures superior heat removal from active part of the spark plug even in the most extreme conditions, therefore eliminating electrode burn off seen on conventional spark plugs in race applications. Extremely long glide spark (almost 3mm) protrudes deep into combustion chamber, carries more potential charge and is unshielded by the conventional side ground electrode. The air and fuel mixture is ignited more spontaneously and flame front spread is unrestricted and more uniform."

Can anyone verify this or if they really work?

Thanks Fred (uechifs@aol.com)

Back