• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin and USB

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
Howdy all-

I have a GPS-V and am happy with it. I just upgraded the laptop to something from this century. However it does not have a RS-232/Serial port. :eek

I know that there are cables for Garmin that do this; cheapeswt I found was $60. So my question are:

1) Does any one know of a less expensive premade cable?
2) Do the USB to Serial PDA adapters work with GPS V and MapSource 5?

Thanks

Yes the PDA adapters work fine. I use one made by I-Concepts that I bought at Staples. It was cheaper than the Garmin adapter, and what I also liked about it is that it has only about 6" of cable. The Garmin and other adapters have 3-4' of cable, much more than needed since the GPS cables are allready that long. These cables will allow you to connect your GPS to USB, but you will still only have serial speeds for you data transfer. I use the adapter to connect to my laptop for tranfering waypoint and route and track data only. It takes way to long to move 32M of map data to the cards that way. I have the USB card programmer to program the cards for use with my StreetPilot, but your GPS V with the built in memory is limited to serial transfer speeds no matter what.

Back