• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

sunglasses

JOHNR100RS

BMWOA ABC
I just got a new Shark RSR and am finding it difficult to fit my faithful Ray-Ban Avaitors due to the turndown on the temple earpiece .I would like to purchase a pair of sunglasses like the U.S. Air Force used to issue. The lenses are squarish and the temple supports are straight with little or no turndown. I was once told that they went under the name of "Roberts Glasses"I had pair but they wore out.Any ideas where a new pair could be purchased.

I bought a pair of these about 15 years ago. They do work easily with a helmet.

The problem I have with "aviator" style glasses is the opening the wire frames make over the bridge of the nose. This allows a lot of air behind them.

Because I'm hard on sunglasses, I've long given up buying expensive name brands. I'm definitely a ZZTop kinda guy these days. (Well, except I can't grow a beard like that.) My best find has been to buy the wraparound style safety sunglasses. They're about $9 at the hardware store, and keep the wind (and dust and bugs!) out when I have the face shield cracked open.

When they get scratched or I lose them... oh well. I still recall that those aviator glasses cost me about $60 back then, and I managed to scratch the lens within a few weeks.

----------

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In a funky fine levis and her sweaters kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molases
But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses

(solo)

Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark thay wont even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes:
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses

I'm with Darryl...

I have found that I can scratch or break expensive sunglasses just as easy as I can the cheap ones. Plus, the cheap ones are easier to replace.

I, too, like the safety glasses, although I also buy a $15 pair of Target sunglasses ocassionally as well.

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question about the Roberts glasses...:wave

I just got a new Shark RSR and am finding it difficult to fit my faithful Ray-Ban Avaitors due to the turndown on the temple earpiece .I would like to purchase a pair of sunglasses like the U.S. Air Force used to issue.

Duluth Trading sells a version of these made by American Optical. Very high quality and $50. I bought a couple of pair and had prescription lenses put into them.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/96859.aspx?feature=Product_36

imageaspxeq1.jpg

I am pretty picky about my sunglasses. But if you can find a comfy pair with a nice polarized lens, I recomend an amber one for versatility, then stick with them. I find the sport models work well. Take your helmet in the store until you find one that works.

Glasses

Duluth Trading sells a version of these made by American Optical. Very high quality and $50. I bought a couple of pair and had prescription lenses put into them.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/96859.aspx?feature=Product_36

imageaspxeq1.jpg

Hello John,

American Optical is a current provider of aviation glasses for the USAF. My older pair are from Randloph Engineering, but they look the same as the AO model.
Still a neutral gray glass, straight temples, choice of 52mm or 58mm lenses.

Try finding a friendly active duty type to buy you a pair from the base BX; buy on line from above; or try a local Army Navy type store who might be able to order you a pair.

They fit inside my Schuberth helmet just fine on MY head and face shape. YMMV

Friedle
limiting my flying to two axes these days :brow

American Optical is a current provider of aviation glasses for the USAF. My older pair are from Randloph Engineering, but they look the same as the AO model.
Still a neutral gray glass, straight temples, choice of 52mm or 58mm lenses.

That agrees with what my optical company said when I ordered prescription lenses for them. Duluth Trading also sells the "general" model with traditional temples as well as the "aviator" model with the straight temples. Both styles fit well under my Scorpion helmet.

I wear saftey glasses at work and keep a clear pair on the motorcycle for when I get caught in a sleet storm and my faceshield fogs up.I get a Diluth Trading Company catalog now and then.Went to their website.Thank-you for everyones insite

Back