• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in Illinois

ILBulldog

I would suggest avoiding Chicago at all costs. Not only because of the tolls and traffic, but because there are a number of huge construction projects that will be going on.

If you don't want to take the Canadian route (I would add my recommendation to taking it), I would suggest jumping off 90 on 69 and then picking up US 24 the rest of the way across Indiana and Eastern Illinios to I-39.

Bulldog

Definition of fun?

So, how much fun will I have if I decide to ride I-90 from Buffalo, NY to Chicago, then up thru Milwaukee to West Bend?

Tim

Personally, I would cut across the southern tip of Ontario and across Michigan to Muskegon or Ludington and take the ferry across lake Michigan. Or if Canada is a problem go around the south end of lake Erie then cut north to Kalamazoo and on to the ferry at Muskegon. Call ahead to work out the timing at the ferry or it may cost you an extra 1/2 day.
Way more "fun" than "working" your way through crowded freeways.
But then that's just my opinion and I have spoiled myself by choosing less populous crusing trips.

Bulldog:

OK, I just looked at the Atlas. I saw where I-90 meets up with I-69 in N.E. Indiana. What about taking I-69 down to Ft. Wayne then taking Rt. 30 W. into Illinois to I-80 to I-39? What is Rt. 30 like? Thanks again.

Tim

Bulldog:

OK, I just looked at the Atlas. I saw where I-90 meets up with I-69 in N.E. Indiana. What about taking I-69 down to Ft. Wayne then taking Rt. 30 W. into Illinois to I-80 to I-39? What is Rt. 30 like? Thanks again.

Tim

Tim,

Unfortunatesly Rt 30 is as bad if not worse than the interstate. It has as much traffic and tons of stoplights. Rt 30 takes you through an area of south suburban Chicago that grew far faster than the roads could keep pace with. I-80 isn't much better.

Sorry for the bad news.

Bulldog

ditto on rte 30. it's a pita. If you have time and can enjoy Illinois farm country, small towns etc, you might come in on 17 from the E and follow the river to Kankakee. then pick up 102 and head NW up toward the Illinois river. Then I think it's 44 that follows the river on the S side and takes you to Ottawa where you can pick up 71, take that thru Starved Rock State Park ( a nice little stop and some turns in the road) and catch 39N at LaSalle Peru. Might be two- two and a half hours @ 40 mph from the Indiana line, but at least a little bit of nice scenery and a couple turns other than the 90 degree variety.

Convoluted i know, But any E/W routes north of rte 6 are suburban Chicago. If you pick up I80 west of about Joliet you should be good to go. And from there maybe an hour fifteen to I-39.

when are you leaving???

[QUOTE=woodnsteel)That I-39 is a great piece of work. Although, from Rockford to Wisconsin it is not unlike Chicago. I will probably use it until I get to Beloit and then either bear towards Milwaukee or go on toward Madison and exit shortly thereafter...

So...what day are you going up???

Mac

Hey there Mac, I have the entire week scheduled for vacation. I could leave any time. I ought to get on a set-up crew and go a few days early. Totally flexible on this question. Wanna ride together?

Back