• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Argentina to the US in search of healthcare access for Latin America

i??m off to Manaus tomorrow on a 6 day boat trip up the amazon river. I spent the past couple of day meeting, learning and going out with the hospital boat that operates here in the amazon. i??ll have a report with pictures when i touch land again.

i see people are visiting this thread but no one has left any comment in a long time. i feel that it is not appreciated the time and money spent keeping this thread updated. if you haven??t notice i write unique things here that you won??t find on my blog or other threads. now i don??t see any point in keep updating it....

Personally I have been following your adventures on Advrider.
I think the folks here are too much preoccupied with pimping their bikes rather than riding them actually. :dunno :stick
You are doing a great ride for a good cause and I hope you keep posting at least on Advrider!!

Sorry about the lurking

Sorry, I have been enjoying your postings. Just didn't have anything intelligent to add to the thread. Your postings are appreciated.

Holly

From Belem to Manaus: Loading the bike on a boat is always a scary moment for me. For some reason I fell that I can loose all that I own in a matter of a second
163201965-M.jpg

Once is finally secure i can finally relax
163201979-M.jpg

So I went to see the market which is always an interesting experience. This time no frog smoothies just some herbal potions
163202054-M.jpg

Also had some time to go check out the favellas. As you see the there is no sewage system and all the **** runs underneath the houses. You can only imagine the smell during a hot and humid day
163201987-M.jpg

I was glad that i didnÔÇÖt have to sleep on a hammock. A couple that was sleeping on the hammock got all their stuff stolen. Many people felt stomac sick on the boat ride and sharing bathroom was not pleasant. Also people that were in hammocks didnÔÇÖt get served any fruits.
163202085-M.jpg

The boat ride gave me lots of time to brainstorm. Here are a few of the note I jotted down on my notebook..
163202073-M.jpg

It is hard not to be motivated to make this world a better place when you see so many children begging for a better tomorrow
163202082-M.jpg

And is even harder not to think about healthcare and education when you see an albine children completely sun burned and the mother doing nothing about protecting her skin!!!
163202170-M.jpg

So little to do and so much to think
163202214-M.jpg

Alter three days on the boat we got a chance to get off the boat in Santarem. So I hired a mototaxi to take to see the most beautiful river beach in town part of the road was dirt and scary.
163202220-M.jpg

We road in the middle of the jungle
163202223-M.jpg

But is was the wrong season to go and everthing was floaded. Nonetheless very nice!
163202230-M.jpg

And it cannot be an adventure without the bike breaking down and being late to catch the boat for manaus..
163202242-M.jpg

More coming

There was a total of 10 foreigners on the boat except for me they were all backpackers from the EU and USA. This made the trip much better because we had lot of stories to share.
163202260-M.jpg

Then there were the characters like this guy that never took off his leather jacket even when it was midday and very hot. It turned out to be a pretty nice guy ÔÇô just a bit weird.
Then the other character was a guy that spend the 7 days on the boat completely drunk. We tried to speak a few times but we never could understand each other. I just got that he was going to Guyana for work and that his bubby had sent him the money to go there.
163202284-M.jpg

Then there was El Artesano. He had been traveling around south America for 35 years never being in one place for more than a month and a half. Just one time he stayed in one place for three years when he got married. You had to meet him to appreciate his life.
163202269-M.jpg

Manaus was my last port and a clear view that the Amazon forest wonÔÇÖt last much longer. The towns are getting bigger and the logging industry is making sure the tree are cut down while the soybean farmers push their bloody farms deeper and deeper into the jungle.
163202310-M.jpg

The boat did a quick stop to let some passenger off and I barely made it to take my belonging off of it.
163202318-M.jpg

The next day I tracked down all the foreigners that where with me on the boat and organized the first SalCar Adventure. I rented out a boat to do a 12 hour tour of the amazon river/rio negro river, went fishing piranhas, eate the piranhas, went sight seeing for dolphins, alligators monkeys etc, went to see the typical plants etc. we left early in the morning and came back late. Even people that I had never met heard about my tour that where in different hotels and came along. All in a matter of less than 24 hours I sold all the spaces available.
163202329-M.jpg

Swimming in the amazon
163202349-M.jpg

Giant water lilies (?)
163202354-M.jpg

Fixing the flat tire from Boa Vista to the border.
163202395-M.jpg

As you know adventurers under 30 years old no one takes them seriously. You have suffered the same frustrations as those that went before you. Everyone interested in your ride report, pictures, and stories the norm. Others have assisting as they can but regardless it was your journey, and your journey only.

:thumb

Hey S....

I have to agree with D... I have dealt with the problem of being very young under 30 until this year... :arg :laugh in the adventure relm... I have had a lot of ideas for different rides from rough dirt to a major fundraiser... i got some great comments on my ideas and plans and then no assistance or help or belief in me to succeed for the reason only that i was young (except a couple of people D and G)... if i had been 40-50 with the same ideas i know the funding would have come through... getting funding for anything as a person under 30-35 is tough to say the least... but if you stick to a central idea and goal and dont get too distracted with other ideas the main idea will blossom before you know and take you on one hell of a ride..

later
X

...................................More Best of the Web material

Great adventure . . . :thumb
More Best of the Web material

Back