• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Schofield Pass, for the GS riders, maybe...

Visian said:
I remember it too! It's much better with pictures. Especially the one of you surfing the pass.

I remember looking downstream, and just out of the photo the water goes over some big drops. I was thinking "Holy crap..."

Visian said:
And Doug, you don't have less hair than in that picture, you have a LOT less hair! :p

I shave.... ;) Makes it easy to shower after kayaking or swimming.... <g>

Visian said:
Great pics... and great ride.

Thanks! Thinking of scanning in all the old pics of that trip, and burning them and a timeline onto a CD for my brother Ken.

Best,
Doug

Googling around before class tonight, I came across some more stuff on Schofield Pass.

For the best description I've seen on it, go to:

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/schofield_jeep/schofield_jeep_trip_total.htm

Great photos!!!!

Want to see it being done in SNOW...? Oh my.... Go to:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/trails/schofield_99.htm

Another summer perspective:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/cowley/62/schofield.htm

It's unbleievable stuff until you see the photos. Having said that, I'm guessing that somewhere there is a GS rider salivating over the URLs I've posted above.

Doug

Nice story about Scofield Pass. My son is at Western State and Crested Butte is not far away. I've started towards Scofield and the town of Gothic before, but have not gone far yet. Many good GS roads in the vicinity -- Scofield is something I wouldn't try (don't have the bike or nads) but Kebler Pass to the south looks scenic and friendly. Looking forward to exploring the area next year on the GS.

I read once that Scofield Pass is the site of one of the deadliest off road vehicle accidents ever. I guess a van with eight or so people tried to make it and went off the edge. Your account or almost going off the edge reminded me of this.

Sfarson wrote:

<<<<< I read once that Scofield Pass is the site of one of the deadliest off road vehicle accidents ever. I guess a van with eight or so people tried to make it and went off the edge. Your account or almost going off the edge reminded me of this. >>>>

Thanks on the compliment.

One of the URLs just above, that I posted a couple days ago, tells of that incident too. IIRC from that URL, it says there were a couple survivors, plus one child's body that was never recovered.

Grisly stuff...

Another photo in those URLs shows trucks going *up* the pass with snow / slush covering the trail. Scary...

Hey, beautiful shots on your South Park ride. Been there, but it's been a few years. Was in the car last time I was there, maybe June 1995 or so.

Doug

Back