Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Schofield Pass, for the GS riders, maybe...

You're not complaining, are you?
    Not at all! I enjoy your thought process. Always check your posts. Thanks.

Re: Schofield Pass, for the GS riders, maybe...

Originally posted by Doug Grosjean
    SchofieldPass on Streetbikes

Holy Crap......!!!

Have any of the GS or dirtbike riders out there done this road?

Doug Grosjean
    Luckey, Ohio
    In 1990 or 91: Jim Doyle (R100GSPD), Larry Barnet (R100GS), Paul Glaves (R80GSPD), and Duane Buck (R90/6 w/deep oil pan) crossed Schofield Pass from Crested Butte to Marble. We were at the Paonia Rally and got stupid due to Larry's stories. I wrote an article about this adventure many years ago. When I find time I need to dig it up. It's filled with adventure all around. The best part was saving two ladies in a new 4 wheeler destined for a fast trip down a VERY steep hill (cliff)! Gotta tell you. It was a hand full and extremely sketchy at times with little clearence or "outs" and extreme erroe potential. At the time it was posted as closed and we only saw ine crazy 4 wheeler from Penn State, an idiot from Lowry AFB, and lots of Mountain Bikers. I talked Paul into going with us. At least twice, I thought he was going to go homicidal! Duane had to replace his oil pan upon return to Lawrence...
    Jim Doyle
    Expert M/C road racer and crew chief
    Owner G-Baby Racing endurance team
    2013 ASRA/AMA Team Challenge GTL National Champions

Airhead GS convert...
    Hi Jim,

I heard this story from Paul Glaves, back in 2000 when I first posted about Schofield Pass on the IBMWR list.

Since his version sounded *identical* to yours, I don't doubt you a bit. Only difference is that he didn't mention going homicidal.

I don't doubt it, though. You guys were at least experienced. My brother and I were far greener than you guys, and we were terrified.

Congrats on surviving it! There's not too many roads I've ridden where just making it through is cause for celebration.... other than Schofield Pass.

Doug

Paul's version is posted at:
    http://www.bmwsearch.net/main/digest...ject1999245212

I just remember when he came back - really, really late, that when I asked the guys where he was they told me if they'd lost him they wouldn't have come back to face me ; )

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Originally posted by knary
    I remember that post from way back when.
    I remember it too! It's much better with pictures. Especially the one of you surfing the pass.

And Doug, you don't have less hair than in that picture, you have a LOT less hair!

Great pics... and great ride.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Airhead GS convert...
    Originally posted by Visian
    I remember it too! It's much better with pictures. Especially the one of you surfing the pass.
    I remember looking downstream, and just out of the photo the water goes over some big drops. I was thinking "Holy crap..."

And Doug, you don't have less hair than in that picture, you have a LOT less hair!
    I shave.... Makes it easy to shower after kayaking or swimming....

Great pics... and great ride.
    Thanks! Thinking of scanning in all the old pics of that trip, and burning them and a timeline onto a CD for my brother Ken.

Best,
    Doug

Airhead GS convert...
    Googling around before class tonight, I came across some more stuff on Schofield Pass.

For the best description I've seen on it, go to:

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/sch...trip_total.htm

Great photos!!!!

Want to see it being done in SNOW...? Oh my.... Go to:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/trails/schofield_99.htm

Another summer perspective:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/c.../schofield.htm

It's unbleievable stuff until you see the photos. Having said that, I'm guessing that somewhere there is a GS rider salivating over the URLs I've posted above.

Doug

On a Ride
    Nice story about Scofield Pass. My son is at Western State and Crested Butte is not far away. I've started towards Scofield and the town of Gothic before, but have not gone far yet. Many good GS roads in the vicinity -- Scofield is something I wouldn't try (don't have the bike or nads) but Kebler Pass to the south looks scenic and friendly. Looking forward to exploring the area next year on the GS.

I read once that Scofield Pass is the site of one of the deadliest off road vehicle accidents ever. I guess a van with eight or so people tried to make it and went off the edge. Your account or almost going off the edge reminded me of this.

Airhead GS convert...
    Sfarson wrote:

<<<<< I read once that Scofield Pass is the site of one of the deadliest off road vehicle accidents ever. I guess a van with eight or so people tried to make it and went off the edge. Your account or almost going off the edge reminded me of this. >>>>

Thanks on the compliment.

One of the URLs just above, that I posted a couple days ago, tells of that incident too. IIRC from that URL, it says there were a couple survivors, plus one child's body that was never recovered.

Grisly stuff...

Another photo in those URLs shows trucks going *up* the pass with snow / slush covering the trail. Scary...

Hey, beautiful shots on your South Park ride. Been there, but it's been a few years. Was in the car last time I was there, maybe June 1995 or so.

Doug